What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Common issues?

maskeddev

Registered
Hey all, so I'm pretty much still a n00b... and looking to buy my next couple of pins.

When I'm looking at games from certain time periods, certain companies, certain systems, what common faults and issues of ownership should I be aware of?

I just owned a Williams game from the 90s. I'd say they are easy to own as lots of parts and easy for mechanics but very pricey.

Some systems are prone to certain errors etc.

I'm now looking at Data East games and am being quite cautious...

Thanks,
Aaron

I know practically nothing about Data East games but I do know one thing. The fuse holders are complete shîte. Replace all of them.

To be fair though mate. They all break at some point or another. Don't miss out on some data east awesomeness just in case

Yeah the fuse holders are cack. No biggie though

I'd just like to add though that changing fuse holders is a piece of cake. If you didn't want to do it yourself I'm sure somebody on here would do it for you for a couple of beers.

don't sweat it, dude. they all break but everything can be fixed or replaced.
it's daunting the first time doing any new task, but after a while you'll follow the same road we all follow:

- oh my gosh, i can'tundo nuts to move a plastic, can i?
- oh my gosh, i can't lift the playfield and check a coil, can i?
- oh my gosh, i can't lift the playfield and check a switch, can i?
- oh my gosh, i can't go in the backbox and check and change a fuse, can i?
- oh my gosh, i can't do anything about this fried coil, can i?
- oh my gosh, i can't redo these flippers, can i?
- oh my gosh, i can't replace a transistor / diode / capacitor, can i?
- oh my gosh, i can't ...... hang on, maybe i can. anyway i think i'll have a go at it......

then it becomes fun again for different reasons, the thrill of the diagnose and fix can be as big as the thrill of the big score sometimes

I'm no expert, but as far as I'm aware, one factor is how how complicated a machine is - the more that's in it, the more there is to go wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You probably won't go far wrong with Williams/Bally titles from the 90s. There's an excellent supply of spares and many are so popular that game-specific parts, like plastics, are being reproduced. Also, the system itself isn't overly complex so repairs are relatively cheap/easy. On the flip side this popularity makes them desirable and therefore expensive (what pin isn't expensive these days though?).

Outside of this things get a little different. More recent games are generally well built and probably won't have a history of being hammered on-site, but this will be reflected in the price tag. But the electronics in the control systems can be very complex and is generally not repairable except by the manufacturer or experts. It's more often the case that a board swap-out is the simplest, but most expensive, option.

Older games from the solid-state era of the 70s and 80s are cheaper as generally less desirable because they're not as complex/interesting and have probably had a rough life over the last 30 to 40 years. Some though are extremely collectible, e.g., CENTAUR, FLASH GORDON, FATHOM, and can command prices as high as any DMD. However, there are still bargains to be had and if you like tinkering with tools and a soldering iron they are easy to fix as the electronics are very simple by today's standards. The hardware is generally readily available as spares, e.g., coils, flipper mechs, etc., but it can be very hard, if not impossible, to find spare plastics, backglasses or playfields, as very few, or no reproductions are made. Some parts are just "unobtanium" and would need to be custom made (I did this for a unique chrome metal plate on my Bally GOLD BALL - got an engineering friend to cut it on his CNC machine).

You can of course go further afield into either older games or the EM-era, or look to lesser known manufacturers. Similar trends apply. EMs are mind-bogglingly complicated and spares are notoriously difficult to find. Older games are also much, much simpler and unlikely to appeal unless you remember them from your youth. Lesser known manufacturers, such as Zaccaria or Data East, have made some very cool games, but again, parts will be harder to find and possibly more expensive.

Bottom line though, pinball isn't a cheap hobby. It doesn't have to be an expensive hobby, but it's definitely not cheap. My personal preference for unloved Bally solid-state games means I probably operate at the very bottom end of the hobby. My cheapest pin was £125 that I bought for spares but realised I could save (a very undesirable Bally GOLD BALL). I've probably spent that again on spare parts and have probably put in at least 200-300 hours into its restoration (see the shop log) including completely rebuilding the power supply and repairing the MPU (motherboard) including tracing digital logic with an oscilloscope (hey! it's my thing!).

Best thing though is being a member on here. Every one is super helpful. From the players who know rulesets inside out, to the collectors who know the history (sometimes down to individual machines), to the tinkerers servicing their own machines, to the restorers bringing old games back to life, to the engineers like @myPinballs creating upgrades, mods and even software re-writes. Between us there isn't anything we can't do or fix!

Thanks for all the responses guys!

For the past couple of years, I've been tempted to search for a Gorgar but think I need more experience with the newer titles first.

Haha! I knew my personality type from the vids before coming here... slippery slope aint half of it!

The other common issues being space and family members!

The thing with the older games is that you might get sick of them pretty quickly. Game play can be quite repetitive. I adore paragon, but I spend more time on my other games

If you have a game or two, I think you should be getting 1990s games. These offer toys, game modes, video modes, call outs, ramps, multiballs, multiple jackpots, wizard modes etc

I am all for early ss games, but as part of a collection

don't sweat it, dude. they all break but everything can be fixed or replaced.
it's daunting the first time doing any new task, but after a while you'll follow the same road we all follow:

- oh my gosh, i can'tundo nuts to move a plastic, can i?
- oh my gosh, i can't lift the playfield and check a coil, can i?
- oh my gosh, i can't lift the playfield and check a switch, can i?
- oh my gosh, i can't go in the backbox and check and change a fuse, can i?
- oh my gosh, i can't do anything about this fried coil, can i?
- oh my gosh, i can't redo these flippers, can i?
- oh my gosh, i can't replace a transistor / diode / capacitor, can i?
- oh my gosh, i can't ...... hang on, maybe i can. anyway i think i'll have a go at it......

then it becomes fun again for different reasons, the thrill of the diagnose and fix can be as big as the thrill of the big score sometimes

Absolutely. Fixing Faults and repairing games is what keeps my pinball mojo alive, as well as knowing that another game can continue to be enjoyed. This is also way i created my own set of replacement boards and also sourced this list for others who want to start repairing their own games:

http://www.pinballinfo.com/communit...pinballs-consolidated-and-updated-list.32898/

Echoing the thoughts of @DRD, I'm not sure I'd have GORGAR as my only game. It's a great looking game and quite fun, but it's more famous for being the first pinball to feature speech rather than an awesome ruleset or innovative new toys. It's also one of the pins recreated on the "Pinball Arcade" video game, which seems to make them more well known, more desirable and therefore more expensive.

Back
Top Bottom