What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Collecting a pin in my car

See if you have a van by the hour service with zipvan or B&q have them in their car parks. Lot less agro if you don’t have to take the head off.

Thanks for the replies

I use the sharpie trick to mark the sega driving cab connections when i take them apart for transport in my car

This will be my first pin so i dont know how anything comes apart yet

The car is a last resort really but atleast it might be an option

You can't get a Pin2K in one that I know for sure.... had to do two trips when I picked that up
Sys11 in 2 parts I'd have thought would be OK, but the thing to make sure of is the height of the base of the cabinet - once in it's fine, but RFM cleared the top of the boot opening by about 1/4 of an inch.
I think the Pin2k cabinet base is slightly taller than a Sys11 though.

How much is your time worth?

For the sake of £45 or even less for a day's van hire, is it worth it?

Its going to be a 7hr round trip id rarther drive a car than a van
And it would be cheaper on fuel

Possibly not that safe though in a car squashed in i have rented a van

Very sensible, especially with your first pin. Make sure it's also tied securely in the van, legs are off, etc. It's easy to make a lot of (now obvious) mistakes when you start out.

Damage is easily done. For the £20-25 over van hire, I'd use someone like Martin, who's well known, reliable, done it tons of time and puts it where you need it. Sometimes you have to wait a week or so, but great value and a smashing bloke.

Yes i did suggest martin as hes due at mine to pickup some cabs
But the seller dosent want to use him

Thanks for the advice on transporting
The pin though

Yes i did suggest martin as hes due at mine to pickup some cabs
But the seller dosent want to use him

Thanks for the advice on transporting
The pin though
Then you should consider Hadfields. They will get a day sorted in the near future and cost the same. Definitely worth it.

I’m looking forward to the thread.

“I bought a pin but it doesn’t work”

Where someone moans that they took the head off and now the game doesn’t work - because they asked for advice and then ignored it!

Different strokes for different folks but I did a 7+ hour trip including pretty much a full circuit around the M25 to pick up a pin recently, and I would not have wanted to stress about taking it apart once I'd got there.

A van (Renault Kangoo size is a perfect size for one pin) has a flat wooden bed vs a lipped uneven one you'd have in a hatchback, and a door that opens on the side for easier maneuvering etc.

Even if it can fit it sounds like it will be a stressful job getting it in there. A van would be so much easier.

I always recommend in collecting a pinball your self !!
We have heard so so many people saying " you said this and that " and not as described ,
It's part of the hobby in picking one up and meeting other hobbyists :)

Who buys a £1000 car and have it delivered ?

Thanks for the advice I have rented a van so i dont have to remove the head or get crushed by it

The pin is a non working project with battery damage
The cheapest way into pin ownership for me
Im not to bad at arcade board repair
Smd trace repairs ect
Hopefully my skills will translate
To pin ownership

i will be going in person so i can look at the
Condition of the playfield and plastics ect
And meet another hobbiest :)

Ah.. non-working project makes it different I suppose. Van rental is the right choice though I think, compared to using a hatchback. :thumbs:

Been to collect pins myself in the past, right faff...

Been there, done that, won’t do it again - I value my own time too much. Van hire or car, plus fuel, and time.

Always use Martin now. Even asked him to collect an eBay purchase from Cornwall last month, totally non-retro gaming related.

If a seller won’t work with me on that; I won’t buy it.

I do miss the pinhead banter you get when buying in person, but family get 1st dibs on me right now.

I guess it depends on your risk profile, and how much you're spending. I think I would feel distinctly unsettled buying a pin remotely using only photos as a guide to its condition. People lie. I'm also very much a novice with maintenance so I need to know it will work 100% at the point I buy it, rather than there being serious board or mech problems that have been hidden by the seller.

Having said that after the last punishing trip around the M25 it's not something I'd want to do again for quite a while.

Someone not wanting to work with Martin would set my alarm bells ringing, though.

Different strokes for different folks but I did a 7+ hour trip including pretty much a full circuit around the M25 to pick up a pin recently, and I would not have wanted to stress about taking it apart once I'd got there.

A van (Renault Kangoo size is a perfect size for one pin) has a flat wooden bed vs a lipped uneven one you'd have in a hatchback, and a door that opens on the side for easier maneuvering etc.

Even if it can fit it sounds like it will be a stressful job getting it in there. A van would be so much easier.

I've done Glasgow, London and back and Kent and back from here (Wakefield). Some scrapes and stories but I would always use Martin where I could and it made sense.

Someone not wanting to work with Martin would set my alarm bells ringing, though.

I wouldn't go that far.

With all due respect to Martin - 100% top guy I have used him for buying and selling plenty of times and recommend him - his time keeping and scheduling can sometimes be on the creative side :D It's not unusual for mornings to actually mean afternoons or evening, or for a pickup / drop off to change last minute. Just the way it is. If you are cool with this then it's no problem but not everyone's circumstances can allow it.

I'm generally a slack bugger and can happily sack off a day waiting for a pin delivery but not everyone can :D

Martin and Hadfields are both great.

However I would use them for sales on here where you can trust the guy your buying off but eBay I would rather go and collect in person so you can check out the product.

it all went well I had booked a transit van but switched it on the day for a smaller peugeot van as recommended just the right size for one pin
I have started taking it apart for repair / restoration and have took photos and have parts on the way from pinball mania
I will start a restoration thread if anyone is interested in seeing a fire
I know its bottom end :)

I used to always use Martin but due to distance I now hire a van and drive and tbh I kinda like it now. Means I get the pin the same day I pays for it even though it costs more for hire and fuel..

I used to always use Martin but due to distance I now hire a van and drive and tbh I kinda like it now. Means I get the pin the same day I pays for it even though it costs more for hire and fuel..

are you way up North Kenny?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom