What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coin cell holders *remote*

deathrow

Registered
Ive done a little search on here before posting and haven't seen these before.
Many people including me like to get rid of alkaline batteries and fit coin cell lithium jobbies.

Fitting remote batteries is always a bonus and some prefer this even to lithium coin cells as they can still cause board issues even though its rare.

So what about the best of both worlds?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131202771495?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I have invested and will post up some pics etc once fitted to my hook.

i.ebayimg.com_00_s_NjgwWDgwMA___z_pE4AAOxykUZTh6zD___57.JPG

Erm.... 3x 1.5v is 4.5v, or worst case 3x 1.2v (Rechargables) is 3.6v....
One of these is 3v...

Is that enough??

Knew I had seen people fitting them to DE games etc... (started to think I was going crazy :confused: )

3:00 into the vid :thumbs:

Obviously good for Gottliebs etc

Segas too

1:10

Last edited:
Data retention voltage for CMOS RAM's can be anything from 1.8-3.2volt dependant on manufacturer and model.

The problem you have is that with many boards there will be a diode in series with the batteries (to prevent the board powering the batteries) so you will be dropping the battery voltage by 0.7 -1.5 so it is far too on the borderline for me personally

Thats a good point! Going to give it a crack though and will post up the results ands will also keep this thread updated over time with any issues that arise. :thumbs:

UPDATE:

So I bit the bullet and started the conversion and some tests...

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2484_zpsb1294444.jpg

With the old battery holder removed and the new cell holder fitted and wired up.

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2486_zps3e9f3aa4.jpg

Time for some memory tests.

The machine was set up and some text added to be remembered once turned off and on again.

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2488_zpsd4812937.jpg

It worked! Well sort of?

For the first week I had no issues what so ever so decided to drain the battery slightly but taking it out and using it on something else that draws a little more current.
I doubt I used 5-10% of the battery life before it lost the memory and I started to get the 'open door' message after turning off and on again.

So it does work but not for long on this DE machine. A good quality brand battery was used.

Its just too close to be reliable :(

So I soldered some remote wires to the original holder and mounted it on the side of the back box and we are golden again :thumbs:

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2487_zps1c2892ae.jpg

Last edited:
Good on you for testing and letting us know the results. Hopefully will save someone else trying the same in the future

I thought Todd Tuckey fitted some other kind of battery? Like half the size of an AA?

Last edited:
The ones he use are quarter cell lithium I believe, soldered directly onto the board with instructions that the machine needs to be returned to them in 7(?) years to have the battery replaced

The "blipper" batteries as they call them in the videos I posted are the same cell type and size that I used but in a different holder.
I have no experience with the half size lithium but I think 7 years is a little optomistic?

If they think they are going to get 7 years out of the cell type then I think they are mistaken.

My seven year comment was based on the coin cell with the DE and Sega games as the voltage is so borderline. I have no comment on the half size lithium as never used them.

15 years is some good going! I will probably just go with the navram or similar in future but while the machine is being worked on its good to try a few things :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom