What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleaning rust/corrosion from lamp sockets

Mercifull

Registered
Alias
Matt Sims
Quite a few of the lamp sockets on my JP are a bit corroded and rusty meaning that the LEDs don't always light up. Two of them don't light up at all even though I've tested that power is getting to them and the LEDs work in other sockets.

Obviously, I could just buy new sockets like this...

89socket.jpg

But then I've got the rigmarole of resoldering all the wires which are quite difficult in some of the places due to their position. I think it would be a lot easier to just try to clean them up a bit with perhaps some vinegar or alcohol. Does anyone have any advice on methods to clean these?

Oddly enough, all the under playfield light sockets on my JP are rusty as well, so I have been looking for a solution.

I've only read the first link but to me it looks more time consuming that just re-soldering and the pics suggest you have to remove the socket from the machine anyway, so I'll be interested to hear how you get on with this.

Another tip I've read is to twist the metal tabs with pliers to tighten up the connections where the fibre washers has shrunk. Trying that and buzzing the inside with a Dremel must be a good starter for 10:thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom