What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleaning a playfield

Tombyrne

Registered
Hello, dipping in and out again.
I want to clean my Big Brave playfield, what are the best products and is there a step by step guide posted elsewhere.
I should know by now how to clean it but I never had the time until recently,
Thanks in advance,

1, foam cleaner to get rid of most the filth.

2, novus 2 to get rid of the rest of the filth, marks and give it a good polish.

3, a coat or 2 of carnuba wax to protect

On a EM machine you need to test any recommendations somewhere on the playfield that is not visible, like under a plastic.

Reason being that unless the playfield has been clear coated in auto clear or you have had the machine from new you will not know how a cleaning product will react with the playfield. Even if others say it worked for them.

I have a 69 em that had been cleaned in the past with something that removed the lacquer over the paint. When I went to clean it up I lost paint.

Do you know the history of the machine. Has any work been done on the playfield?

If you remove the apron does the finish on the wood under the apron look different to the finish on the ball arch at the top of the playfield?

A difference in the sheen between the two areas could indicate that a cleaner has been used that has compromised the finish and extra caution should be taken.

I repeat, Experiment on the hidden places.

C
And what about cleaning cabs? Anyone?
Cabs are a different kettle of fish as in that age they used lead paint and sometimes a lacquer that is not dissimilar to floor varnish. The wood is also different.

I just use fragrance free baby wipes to start with.

On a EM machine you need to test any recommendations somewhere on the playfield that is not visible, like under a plastic.

Reason being that unless the playfield has been clear coated in auto clear or you have had the machine from new you will not know how a cleaning product will react with the playfield. Even if others say it worked for them.

I have a 69 em that had been cleaned in the past with something that removed the lacquer over the paint. When I went to clean it up I lost paint.

Do you know the history of the machine. Has any work been done on the playfield?

If you remove the apron does the finish on the wood under the apron look different to the finish on the ball arch at the top of the playfield?

A difference in the sheen between the two areas could indicate that a cleaner has been used that has compromised the finish and extra caution should be taken.

I intend to take it easy, i will take on board all advice given, Tanks

C

Cabs are a different kettle of fish as in that age they used lead paint and sometimes a lacquer that is not dissimilar to floor varnish. The wood is also different.

I just use fragrance free baby wipes to start with.
'This is going to be fun, baby wipes on the list!.
I really do intend to do this correctly so appreciate all advice and tips

I find an angle grinder and wire brush gets rid of loose paint very quickly.....:cuckoo:

Wow the pinside thread moonbus linked is a marathon but interesting - Clay says no wax was a surprise. There is no mention (2000+ posts) of foam cleaners but I see people using it on here as part of a deep clean/shop out (mainly newer titles?). The shop that stoptap linked has a branch in my town so I'll get some to try.

@Tombyrne I'm in a similar boat with a '67 EM playfield that I want to deep clean (also my 80s Bally SS's). Certainly Naptha appears to be the liquid of choice ahead of IPA on older pf's. Where are you getting that from in the UK?

This is where I'm at with my pf, basically gave it the odd Novus 2 and Mr Sheen (slap wrist) wipe down so I can play test it whilst fixing it up - it's getting quite shiny already
20170718_123532.jpg

The micro vaccum kit is a no-brainer - £4-6 options on Amazon and ebay
i.ebayimg.com_images_g_GhEAAOSwcgNZCDAV_s_l500.jpg

or this set for £1.99 delivered for the uber cost conscious http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9-Nozzle-...or-32-35-Caliber-Accessories-JX-/142344389212
i.ebayimg.com_images_g_4xIAAOSwbdpWWBIj_s_l1600.jpg

Wow the pinside thread moonbus linked is a marathon but interesting - Clay says no wax was a surprise. There is no mention (2000+ posts) of foam cleaners but I see people using it on here as part of a deep clean/shop out (mainly newer titles?). The shop that stoptap linked has a branch in my town so I'll get some to try.

@Tombyrne I'm in a similar boat with a '67 EM playfield that I want to deep clean (also my 80s Bally SS's). Certainly Naptha appears to be the liquid of choice ahead of IPA on older pf's. Where are you getting that from in the UK?

This is where I'm at with my pf, basically gave it the odd Novus 2 and Mr Sheen (slap wrist) wipe down so I can play test it whilst fixing it up - it's getting quite shiny already
View attachment 50398

The micro vaccum kit is a no-brainer - £4-6 options on Amazon and ebay
i.ebayimg.com_images_g_GhEAAOSwcgNZCDAV_s_l500.jpg

or this set for £1.99 delivered for the uber cost conscious http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9-Nozzle-...or-32-35-Caliber-Accessories-JX-/142344389212
i.ebayimg.com_images_g_4xIAAOSwbdpWWBIj_s_l1600.jpg
Hi Astyy
Naphtha is basically lighter fuel, i ordered some Zippo from Amazon.
I haven't even looked at my Big Brave for a few years and I know i probably tried to clean it with anything i had at the time, so I'm a bit concerned at the condition. Oh well i will have a look at it over the weekend. ( or will i)? See my Rocky wanted thread.

Back
Top Bottom