What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Claire's Black Hole

David_Vi

Site Supporter
Alias
DaveTheTrain
A couple months ago @Lecari was on holiday with her parents, while I sat at home browsing the forum. This Black hole popped up in the eBay/FB thread and I noticed it was near us, so I texted Claire 10minutes before the auction ended, just as something interesting.

I didn't expect her to bid and then win it. To be fair Claire likes her games with lower playfields and she's big into space 🌌

I was a bit annoyed, as we don't have room and Claire's games already outnumber mine, not to mention that most of Claire's games end up being big projects that I end up taking on.

This was no exception.

In photos and even upon viewing it, it didn't look too bad.
However it had numerous issues both mechanically, electronically and aesthetically (are those all words?).

Every rubber on the game had perished to the point where I had to use pliers to shatter the post rubbers from the posts. Multiple broken plastics and posts, perished foam washers holding the playfield window up so it was impossible to level and the ball would cause wear the playfield around the edges. Those awful awful awful Gottlieb Mylar rings around pop bumpers, that aren't stuck to the playfield so become sand paper wearing the art away. Also a few incorrect plastics, like the lane guide by the flippers was red, and some drop targets had been replaced with the incorrect ones.

20230612_161853.jpg20230613_172731.jpg
20230611_210149.jpg20230622_155305.jpg20230613_172828.jpg
20230611_211439.jpg20230611_210042.jpg20230612_134531.jpg
20230622_160101.jpg

It had a Ni-wumpf CPU board from 2005 which according to the nu-wumpf guy would never have worked properly with Black Hole as it was so out of date and missing updates, (which explained the sound issues we were having).

One interesting thing about this Black Hole is the fact it has an original USA Backbox, on an export cab. The spinning disc motor has been replaced with an incorrect one that spinned far too fast! (Apparently most original motors were replaced as they were either noisey or failed).

Here's a video from before work began, it's quite hypnotic
View attachment VID-20230611-WA0058.mp4
I tried resistors and a potentiometer to bring the speed down to mixed result, it's a lot better but not ideal.

In the past few weeks I cannot count the hours I've spent on this game. I'm not an expert and this is our first Gottlieb where I've had to get my hands dirty so I've had to learn fast, with mixed results 🤣

A big order from Pinballresource sorted most of the broken plastics, posts, a manual and other misc parts.
Cool white LEDs in the GI (one of the only classic games that suits cool whites in imo). Binned the 313(?) Bulbs that illuminate the lower playfield and used normal cool white LEDs with a modification to the power to that GI line. Also a brand new plastic tube as the old was burnt and melted from when the lower pf coil had stuck on in the past.

Pascal 3 in 1 board plus a GOSOF soundboard (we have one spare if anyone needs a sys1/sys80 soundboard!) So we also have the USA sounds and speech now!

Clear titan rubbers, light and dark blue flipper rubbers. Plus replacing most of the metal acorn post caps with colour coded titan rubbers caps.
A huge thanks to @david retro for ordering in the titan rubbers and comets we needed for this!

Also added switches to the flipper buttons wired upto the coin door coin switches to allow you to enter your initials, (a feature the original games didn't have).

We've still got to finish the backbox GI and lights behind the spinning disc so ignore those!

I left the wear under the pops and covered with proper mylar, my skills with painting would only make it worse. I did however touch in some of the wear around the window.

20230719_121747.jpg20230719_121718.jpg
20230718_184857.jpg
A cool tasteful mod, adding a blue led to illuminate the tube when the gate is open
20230719_132741.jpg

I'll add more photos when the backbox is done.

I'm glad to finally have it working, I haven't mentioned the hours of rebuilding connectors and sound issues that made me want to quit. But as I solved it today I'm ready to share and be done with it. @Lecari please stop buying games now.

Providing it copes with the move it'll be playable in the UK Pinfest Classics!

Last edited:
@VeeMonroe apologies we ended up with one of your grails. I was glad when it turned out you decided against buying it as we didn't want to ruffle any feathers and end up with a game someone else was biding on.
At least it's now in the community and my god it was a lot of work!
I think I read you saying there's only a few in the UK, I believe you didn't account for this one so I imagine there might be more hiding!

@VeeMonroe apologies we ended up with one of your grails. I was glad when it turned out you decided against buying it as we didn't want to ruffle any feathers and end up with a game someone else was biding on.
At least it's now in the community and my god it was a lot of work!
I think I read you saying there's only a few in the UK, I believe you didn't account for this one so I imagine there might be more hiding!
It's okay 🤗 We can't really buy one until we have the new office space built, which won't be for a couple of years :) In the meantime, I'm going to find one to play (yours maybe?) as I've never played on in real life to make sure it's as fun as I find it on Pinball Arcade :)

It's okay 🤗 We can't really buy one until we have the new office space built, which won't be for a couple of years :) In the meantime, I'm going to find one to play (yours maybe?) as I've never played on in real life to make sure it's as fun as I find it on Pinball Arcade :)

It'll be at Pinfest in the classics, so a quid a play, but for freeplay it'll probably go to Swavesey pinball meet next year😁

It'll be at Pinfest in the classics, so a quid a play, but for freeplay it'll probably go to Swavesey pinball meet next year😁
You are a total star 🌟 bringing a Black Hole to Pinfest 🤩

I would hug you with sheer gratitude, but I think Claire (and my husband) might object 😆

Here's an old photo, but see to the left of the B drop target the playfield has been repainted.
20230611_210149.jpg

Looks like there's supposed to be a mini post there. I wonder what happened.
Maybe it got hammered and damaged the playfield? But why wouldn't they put it back?

Wonder if I can reinstate it, any thoughts?

Here's an old photo, but see to the left of the B drop target the playfield has been repainted.
View attachment 226036

Looks like there's supposed to be a mini post there. I wonder what happened.
Maybe it got hammered and damaged the playfield? But why wouldn't they put it back?

Wonder if I can reinstate it, any thoughts?
Yes, reinstall it. Its needed to protect the targets. It probably came out when the game was sited and no one noticed.

Is the hole empty now? Wondering if perhaps it sheared off at the playfield surface level, leaving the metal shaft in there, and very difficult to remove :hmm:

Yes, reinstall it. Its needed to protect the targets. It probably came out when the game was sited and no one noticed.

The holes been filled and badly painted so someone noticed eventually

Is the hole empty now? Wondering if perhaps it sheared off at the playfield surface level, leaving the metal shaft in there, and very difficult to remove :hmm:

I hope not. 😑

Reactions: JT.
I know it's supposed to be there, just I'm worried if I try drilling a pilot hole then hit a sheared off thread then have to make a mess of it
Can you attempt it from the underside instead - use a drill depth guide if necessary, so you don't go too deep? If you discover no metal, then continue from the top?

Can you attempt it from the underside instead - use a drill depth guide if necessary, so you don't go too deep? If you discover no metal, then continue from the top?

Clever. I'll try that 😄
I think I remember seeing a small hole underneath in that area.

Reactions: JT.
Back
Top Bottom