What's new

Changing Tron rubber disc

Durzel

Registered
Ello

I'm contemplating changing the disc on my Tron LE. It is the standard black one, which I'm presuming is the original factory one. When the ball is fired into the area it throws it back out, but without a great deal of spin or power. It's basically "safe".

That wouldn't bother me so much were it not for the fact that this black disc also seems to deposit rubber on the ball, which carries it around the rest of the playfield. I recently took the ramps off the machine to clean the orbit around the back, and I really don't want to have to do this again any time soon. Apparently the clear or blue disc fixes this problem.

But.. I've been told, and read, that the clear disc is violent. I don't want to risk destroying any parts of the machine, or mods (e.g. the expensive arcade one), etc with flying balls. I also watched a video of a Tron with the clear disc and it seemed ok - and best of all it generated loads of spin on the ball which meant it was unpredictable and looked cool.

There is also a resistor mod (detailed here) which slows down the motor for the clear disc. Has anyone tried this? Wiring this up is beyond my skills.

Anyone using the blue disc? Apparently this is an alternative that isn't quite as violent as the clear?

Has anyone got any gameplay videos of their Tron with a clear disc installed?

Thanks in advance.

Clear disc all the way for me, the black disc, especially when old, barely does anything. My experience after installing the clear disc was at first very scary, this will destroy my machine. After a few games it calmed down, still throwing the ball nicely with lots of spin but not as violent as at first. It's been on there 2 years and hasn't broken anything.

Mine also has the clear disc fitted. Hundreds of plays from me as well as 400+ games at last year's NLP, no damage done.

Try cleaning with a bit of white spirit. I tried this and it got rid of the grease and dirt and it now works fine. Worth a try surely?
I did that when I stripped the ramp off recently. Can't say it really made much of a difference. The disc does throw the ball back out, but it's entirely predictable and the spin is nothing to really write home about. Since its a prominent feature of the game, and the fact that people have reported absurd spin like the ball going down the trough and back up onto the playfield, I kinda want mine to be a bit bonkers too.. just without mod or ramp smashing velocity.

Last edited:
Haha that's awesome :)

Anyone except Pinball Life sell the plastic disc? I figured it would be easier to just buy a new one and fit the clear disc rubber to that rather than scraping off the OEM black one and all the adhesive it would leave behind. Unfortunately PL want ~$60 shipping to send pretty much anything to the UK.

Can do. The other problem is that Pinball Life don't sell the clear disc rubber. I think only pinball.center do (here).

The Pin Witch in Germany sells the clear disc too, but it's a fair amount more expensive than from PL - €28.90 vs $19.99 before shipping, and PL also sell the high wear decal set which includes the 3 decals that are supposed to be on the Recogniser bank.

Probably a disproportionate amount of money to spend when you have to trash the black disc to get to the screws underneath anyway... hmmmm....

Back
Top Bottom