What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can a bubble be buggered?

The bubble is mounted on a PCB and spring mounted to the playfield.

We get the playfield level side to side and 6.5° incline then adjust the spring loaded screws so the bubble is in the center.

This can easily be tweaked by an owner at any time.

The OCD in me would have to double check anyway because the black ring doesn't look 100% centered :(

That spirit level has been happily sat in your game for around 25 years.

I once had a problem levelling a game. It turned out that two of the legs were too long.

Simple solutions are usually the correct ones with pinball machines. Fundamental manufacturing errors are unlikely in games produced by a proper volume manufacturer like Bally Williams

Unless the spirit level is damaged, or reversed, it is probably functioning and correctly obeying the same laws of physics that applied in the Renaissance when the thing was invented.

The OCD in me would have to double check anyway because the black ring doesn't look 100% centered :(

The level assembly is mounted on the playfield wood. It is a separate assembly from the apron cover and does not align with the hole in the apron. It is also mounted a few mm below the hole in the apron. The reason you are seeing the black alignment ring offset from the hole in the apron is due to the angle that you view it when standing in front of the machine.

I can assure you the actual bubble mechanism is very accurate and the black ring is most certainly centered (in relation to the level apparatus itself and so the playfield).

Shock horror - whilst I love the idea and the UI, I don't think Pinguy is accurate.

I've calibrated all the various apps in my phone on a flat surface and taken quite a number of measurements of the playfield using Pinguy and various other spirit level applications, including Apple's on-board app. I've also tried this on my previous iPhone 6 as well as my current iPhone X with the same findings.

Consistently, Pinguy under-reads the angle, forcing setup of the playfield at too great a slope. This also exhibits itself in the playfield being noticibly too steep in play, the rear legs being extended way beyond expected and also the on-board bubble (approximate as it is) being way up the glass.

I'm convinced. Pinguy is not dependable.

Anyone else finding similar?

CB

Is it not a case of ignorance is bliss? If you set up all your pins using Pinguy, then they're all consistent at least to that.

I used Pinguy recently to level a Tron LE and the "perfectly aligned" matched the pin bubble and my FatMax spirit level exactly. I'm using an iPhone X though, no idea if the accelerometer is any different between phone models.

Yep - I’m using an iPhone X as well and I find that Pinguy always has me setting the table far too steep. And it is not a slight error - it’s about 1.5 degrees!

CB

Pay less attention to the bubble, spirit level or phone app and more to how it feels when you play it [emoji1303] I find that a far more reliable measure [emoji16]

Agreed and this is what I did. Just madevthis post as I’d always heard praise for Pinguy and I just wanted to point out that I think it is flawed - great UI but accuracy is way off. My CFTBL plays properly now that I ditched Pinguy.

CB

Thats fine for home use, but what about when you are at an event, or in a decent pinball place, there is conventions that the game should be set to, you could take the levellers off if you wanted, the game would feel easy and that might be right for the user, but it's not cricket!

IT IS NOT CRICKET :p:p

Back
Top Bottom