What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can a bubble be buggered?

James

Site Supporter
Alias
James
So... as many know I’ve had issues with crazy tilting out but also mega amounts of house balls on NF. I read about the app to level a game and after checking out a level surface with my fairly new spirit level, decided to level it out with the app. Well... I ignored the bubble and played a few games and I’m not getting house balls and the game seems fairly good, shots are certainly easier but look at this bubble.... surely the bubble is cream bracketed! Had it set to 6.5 as per general - it is a bit easy so will probably crank to 7.5 on the app, but can a bubble be this ballsed up?

95DD531E-89A4-454B-B711-D9A755217532.jpeg

Just a quick test using my other level, with it on its side and even with a few mm in the plastic difference (side, not back as the back has that natural angle) is expect it to sit in the middle, well... here... is this confirmation of bubble buggery or am I missing something?

15FBF86F-6908-4C7B-85EE-B871FD5D3F4F.jpeg

Just a quick test using my other level, with it on its side and even with a few mm in the plastic difference (side, not back as the back has that natural angle) is expect it to sit in the middle, well... here... is this confirmation of bubble buggery or am I missing something?

View attachment 65780

I never use the bubble. Get pinguy on your iPhone.

Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Traditional spirit levels (as in your top one that rests in the middle) are very slightly bowed, so that the bubble rests in the centre. Looking at your pinball level you can see the glass is thick at the right side, which is fine, but the left side doesn't look thick.. so yep. Might be buggered!

Long story short. Use an app on your phone instead :)

Well the app setup does make it play a heck of a lot truer - I.E shots are easier, but its a lot shallower than I have had it, almost feel like I am cheating compared to how high it's been... :oops:

Still, if that is how it is supposed to be, I guess I had a baptism of fire!

Before Williams introduced the side-mounted incline bubble, I occasionally saw a round bubble indicator on their games, as on old-fashioned Post Office scales. Under the left side instruction card, playfields had a small recess for it

Exactly what I was gonna say!!

Seriously though - this way it was level which should cause a center bubble, it just didn't making me pretty much positive it was FUBAR, as per post 1 - that's setup with Pinguy to be at 6.5 - but accoridng to this bubble is well well out.

James, i think the guys are suggesting you remove the level from the machine and turn it 180 degrees and put it back in. It looks like it will be within the lines, as the lines are not in the centre of the level.

I also don't think the 2 levels side by side are actually level with each other. Hence the bubble differences.

Last edited:
Ok So wasn’t expecting them to be set up quite this steep but hate floaty gameplay.

Attachments

• D35A0E37-055E-439E-BD51-34B74B53719D.png
    D35A0E37-055E-439E-BD51-34B74B53719D.png
    44.4 KB · Views: 22
@Mark Roberts - did you put it on the playfield and adjust up first, you have to rest on playfield first, then calibrate it on glass after the playfield setting is right as it does some magic to offset glass thickness and angles etc after coming off playfield.

@Mark Roberts - did you put it on the playfield and adjust up first, you have to rest on playfield first, then calibrate it on glass after the playfield setting is right as it does some magic to offset glass thickness and angles etc after coming off playfield.

Hi James

No just plonked it on the glass. You have got me curious now Will report back

Yea that won't be right, you have to take the glass off, set it to 6.5 pitch, click the playfield icon and adjust up.

Then put it on glass and calbrate to glass, so in future you can just check by the glass if it is all out.

Even after all these years I so hate handling playfield glass!

Ok so it’s now in the right ballpark ( ish )and unsurprisingly totally changed the game dynamic, I’m swapping them round next week so I can finally fit my AFM topper, will fine tune and set the pitch to 6.5 degrees then

Great app though

Attachments

• 20359DF6-C56F-4EEB-9D85-964EC470EAA4.jpeg
    20359DF6-C56F-4EEB-9D85-964EC470EAA4.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 17
Crikey that playfield is basically flat though.... must be pretty easy.

Is your AFM orginal or R?

Crikey that playfield is basically flat though.... must be pretty easy.

Is your AFM orginal or R?

It’s certainly not flat

Front levellers fully in. Rear ones are on tip toe! And it’s fast as .....

Think the deck that shed is on is playing havoc with that apps calibration

Will have a proper play next week

And it’s AFMr

Did you calibrate the phone first before doing anything, that's the calibrate in the top left, maybe it's super the other way then so actually at 12!

I know where I’ve gone wrong

I’ve calibrated it on the flat kitchen floor. Should have calibrated it on the shed floor ( which would take into account the fall of the wood deck )

So it’s basically all to pop. Off to work now. But will sort proper next week

No it needs to be calibrated on a flat surface.. truly flat.

No it needs to be calibrated on a flat surface.. truly flat.
Took your advice of truly flat quite literally and calibrated on this bad boy last night

Attachments

• D3B39EA6-1B79-4D41-84DC-18206A523214.jpeg
    D3B39EA6-1B79-4D41-84DC-18206A523214.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 31
Before Williams introduced the side-mounted incline bubble, I occasionally saw a round bubble indicator on their games, as on old-fashioned Post Office scales. Under the left side instruction card, playfields had a small recess for it

We have done that but it's visible above the left apron card. (Clearly, this hasn't been factory adjusted yet - we set each machine level then adjust the bubble).

apron.jpglevel.jpg

Back
Top Bottom