What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cabinet Respray / Paint / Sticker

Bazzaffc

Registered
My father in law recently bought a Stern Lightning all in good condition and working (after fixing as issue with the fuse thanks to some on here) but could so with a little bit of work doing to get it looking great.

Was thinking of getting the cabinet re done for him but not really sure where to start.

What would normally be the best way to do it, I thought at trying to find some prints to stick over the sides etc but thinking it would look better and more original if it was painted on as it currently is.

Wouldn’t have the skills myself to paint the cabinet, is it a case of finding someone that would come and paint it??

Not really sure where to start looking to be honest?!

@AlanJ here has done a few machines of this age, including a Lightning in fact. More modern machines use stuck-on graphics, but back then the artwork was painted, using stencils. To see what's involved, have a look at Alan's topic, titled 'Lightning Refurb', which is slightly misleading - done well, it isn't quick.

i have repainted my stern lightening. buy a stencil paint kit from pinball pimp stencils usa.

blue led score displays look great in that game - i can supply if you want some

View attachment 172515View attachment 172516
Looks amazing, great job!!! I was just having a look through your thread that was posted above!

Thanks for the link to the stencils I will have a look at that, how easy would you say it is to respray not being something I have tried before?

Those blue LED displays are brilliant, are they plug and play? I have a feeling he may have ordered some already I will check and let you know.

Although I dont think he has got a replacement for the display on the playboard, how much is one of these in blue? Again is that just a like for like replacement?

Sorry for all the questions!!!

Looks amazing, great job!!! I was just having a look through your thread that was posted above!

Thanks for the link to the stencils I will have a look at that, how easy would you say it is to respray not being something I have tried before?

Those blue LED displays are brilliant, are they plug and play? I have a feeling he may have ordered some already I will check and let you know.

Although I dont think he has got a replacement for the display on the playboard, how much is one of these in blue? Again is that just a like for like replacement?

Sorry for all the questions!!!
repainting the cabinet and restencilling is a big job involves stripping / sanding the old paint off , repairing any damage, filling, sanding. then base coat, 2 stencil colours.

LED displays- they are plug and play - just unplug the old one and slide out , slide in the new one and plug in £30 each plus p&p. the one in the playfield is a 6 digit one with one digit out of view - the same as the 6 digit one in the back box for the credit/ball in play.

repainting the cabinet and restencilling is a big job involves stripping / sanding the old paint off , repairing any damage, filling, sanding. then base coat, 2 stencil colours.

LED displays- they are plug and play - just unplug the old one and slide out , slide in the new one and plug in £30 each plus p&p. the one in the playfield is a 6 digit one with one digit out of view - the same as the 6 digit one in the back box for the credit/ball in play.
Ok great thanks will definitely take one of the playfield leds!

Back
Top Bottom