What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Busy Busy - Reviews!!! :)

Paul

Staff member
Alias
Toibs
So, Whilst some of you are off living it up playing pinball In NERG land, Some of us (well.... me!) have been very busy beavering away whilst it rains!

In the next day or two, i'll be looking to open up the new Review engine on the site....

This will allow all registered users to post a review of either a machine, or a Machine Mod...

Others can review the same item too, and also add their comments (just like amazon, however better!)

Currently I have only created Review categories for Machines and Mods - If you can think of any other categories that might be useful for pin related stuff (and I don't want to create tens of them as it would be pointless!) then stick a comment below and tell me what you think would be a worthwhile category, and why :)

Cheers
Paul

Reviews of Badgers? I'd give Dean's a solid 9.5 out of 10.

Reviewing new games is a bit of a minefield unless different codes are taking into account. Metallica and Walking Dead were basically **** when they came out and now I'm loving both of them. Maybe Wrestlemania might become a great game one day:oops:

I know ultimately reviews don't matter but to compare a brand new game with unfinished code to even a average 90s game is always going to be in favour of the 90s one.

Pinside reviews basically follow the pattern of "talk my game up as I don't want to lose money on the resale - 10/10". Followed by "**** sandwich 1/10".

Anyway well done for all your effort (as always) Paul

Sounds interesting. I guess it's important it keeps working after forum updates though. I liked that thing we had a while back where peeps could give feedback after buying/seling from one another, but I guess it's a nightmare to keep addons like that continuously working after the forum software gets updated.

Oh yes, it will :)

The issue is this currently. The forum software is due for a MAJOR update in somewhere around 6-9 months time. This means that a lot of add-ons wont work unless the original programmer is still about (some come and go like the wind).
I'm currently only installing add-ons that i know will have support when the software updates.
I have also removed/replaced 3-4 add-ons from a certain "company" who seem to have gone rogue - i.e. they are from the far east and some sites have been hacked with only one thing in common - this group's mods. So they had to go :)

The feedback thing, whilst i was supported at the time was one of those things where the programmer disappeared, and with new core software updates, it wouldnt run. So unfortunately had to go.

Reviews is a massive and well supported software (part of whats called "showcase" - i cant see it going far for a long time, and the author has already said the next big update will be when 2.0 is released, so it's already on the Road-map :)

The only thing i have issues with currently is the Events engine. Still works ok, however no support so kind of on it's last legs, and i cant get anything similar (i.e. all the others are crap!). Will have to nurse it along for a bit, however definitely in jeopardy in the longer term unless i can find something decent :)

This reviews i like.... They can be updated (to add for new releases of code), and also both the author and the users are able to rate the product :)

Just putting the last touches to it :)

Paul

I'd like to see PARTS and/or REPRODUCTIONS categories.

I'm thinking of @DRD wanting to write a review of his FATHOM backglass from CPR (which might possibly have a slight negative tinge to it) whilst I'd like to write a review/comparison of the reproduction drop-targets I got for PARAGON from Marco Specialities and Classic Arcades Inc. (which would be a mix of good and bad).

I'm not sure of the value of a MACHINES category as we already have many topics focused on pins, but MODS is definitely a good one.

Would be good to have some general guidelines about writing a review, like the guidelines on the For Sale forum. I'm sure you've seen plenty of 5-star product reviews on Amazon and think "Ooh, I'll buy that one as it's been highly rated" but when you actually read them 9-out-of-10 say things like "I just bought this for my husband's birthday next week, I'm sure he's going to love it" or "Arrived the next day - Amazon are amazing" or "If I was going to buy one of these this would be the one I'd order." Yeah, great. Thanks for the informative and insightful review of the product that you even received or ordered yet o_O

I don't expect it to be like Which? magazine (God forbid!) but some minimum basic details like where it came from, link to web page, how much it cost, how long it took to arrive, packaging, comparison with what it's replacing, how easy was it to install, photos, were the instructions any good?, etc. Also, the most useful reviews are those where the item has been used for a while because one thing we all want to know is how long things last and how well they perform. For example, those Super-Duper-Ultra-Mega-Awesome-Blind-You-To-Death-King-Bright LEDs that cost you a weeks wages might look the Mutt's Nuts the day you dropped them into your STAR TREK LE but they're bugger all use if half have burnt out a week later because they're made with under-rated cr@p components from China.

In fact, a review really does imply you've received and used the item, at least for a little while, otherwise it might as well be posted on The "Today I received" Thread (which I really like because I'm sharing the excitement others get when a new toy arrives).

Ooops... </rant> :p

I'm thinking of @DRD wanting to write a review of his FATHOM backglass from CPR (which might possibly have a slight negative tinge to it) whilst I'd like to write a review/comparison of the reproduction drop-targets I got for PARAGON from Marco Specialities and Classic Arcades Inc. (which would be a mix of good and bad).

I'm not sure of the value of a MACHINES category as we already have many topics focused on pins, but MODS is definitely a good one.

Would be good to have some general guidelines about writing a review, like the guidelines on the For Sale forum. I'm sure you've seen plenty of 5-star product reviews on Amazon and think "Ooh, I'll buy that one as it's been highly rated" but when you actually read them 9-out-of-10 say things like "I just bought this for my husband's birthday next week, I'm sure he's going to love it" or "Arrived the next day - Amazon are amazing" or "If I was going to buy one of these this would be the one I'd order." Yeah, great. Thanks for the informative and insightful review of the product that you even received or ordered yet o_O

I don't expect it to be like Which? magazine (God forbid!) but some minimum basic details like where it came from, link to web page, how much it cost, how long it took to arrive, packaging, comparison with what it's replacing, how easy was it to install, photos, were the instructions any good?, etc. Also, the most useful reviews are those where the item has been used for a while because one thing we all want to know is how long things last and how well they perform. For example, those Super-Duper-Ultra-Mega-Awesome-Blind-You-To-Death-King-Bright LEDs that cost you a weeks wages might look the Mutt's Nuts the day you dropped them into your STAR TREK LE but they're bugger all use if half have burnt out a week later because they're made with under-rated cr@p components from China.

In fact, a review really does imply you've received and used the item, at least for a little while, otherwise it might as well be posted on The "Today I received" Thread (which I really like because I'm sharing the excitement others get when a new toy arrives).

Ooops... </rant> [emoji14]
Peter, have you reached your word count this month yet? Come on you're not trying ;)

:D

Ooops... </rant> :p

Peter,
Some really good points there.

Here's a plan - how about I give you access, some basic instruction, and you can write a guide on how to use?? I'm not being sarcastic - far from it - you have some good points and views - and I could do with some good feedback :)

Let me know :)

Cheers
Paul

How about a review of individual suppliers, based on delivery time, supplier communication, carriage costs, etc.
I personally would find it a great help knowing others experiences and would be willing to pay a little more for a product knowing I'm going to get it in a timely manner, rather than saving a few quid and constantly having to chase.

@Nedreud
Sounds like a good idea... So, if you were to order parts or Reproductions, how would you rate them? Quality/suitability/?????

How about a review of individual suppliers, based on delivery time, supplier communication, carriage costs, etc.
@Wayne J A little worried that it may be open to abuse, however seems ok as long as an eye is kept....
So delivery time, supplier communication, carriage costs... anything else to rate them on?

(sorry - want to get all these done and ironed out before it goes live, since things break when changed.. :)

It's obviously open to abuse, with people bringing up old gripes, but as you say that can be monitored. I'd suggest it needs to be based on current orders, not historical.
I'd rate: price, delivery time, carriage cost, communication/advice if required and quality.

ok - Modifications - what would you like to mark any modifications on? Speed of Delivery/quality/instructions/ease of install???

@Nedreud
Sounds like a good idea... So, if you were to order parts or Reproductions, how would you rate them? Quality/suitability/?????
For me the three important qualities of a repro would be quality, match and durability.

Quality is rather subjective but is related to durability. By "match" I mean compatibility with the original part including both mechanical fit/operation and visual appearance.

Back
Top Bottom