What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Building BB8

R

robertlucas1970

If your a StarWars geek you might find this interesting, I am building a life size rolling BB8, not a easy task, but after 3 months I now have the internal drive built, it should be pretty stable as I am using IMU which gives three values from the accelerometer and three from the gyroscope.
Its all 3d printed out of PETG which is stronger than PLA but more friendly than ABS.

20170523_185603.jpg

20170515_150152.jpg

20170527_153502.jpg

I find this stuff amazing, not into star wars but I can appreciate the work and effort that goes into both R2D2 and what your doing with BB8, looking forward to seeing it progress.

How big is a full size BB8?

Its taken two 3D printers printing 24 hours a day for the last few months to get to this stage, the only problem with 3d printing is its so slow when printing at .2mm for each layer.

20170626_182658.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
And here is the Disney BB8 so you can see just what a hard task this is.
The guy on the left built the R2 units for StarWars and he is a member on here.

Wow that is really awesome! I just totally assumed it was animated in the movie. I know a few animators who worked on a couple of shots of the Millenium Falcon. So how does the head work? Presumably floating on magnets at the end of that shaft with other magnets offset to rotate it?

I'm now thinking the head isn't floating but instead held on magnetically and then the head has wheels and/or bearings under the rim so you can just drive a wheel forwards or backwards to control its look at rotation?

I'm now thinking the head isn't floating but instead held on magnetically and then the head has wheels and/or bearings under the rim so you can just drive a wheel forwards or backwards to control its look at rotation?
Here's a pic (not sure if it's how the real model or Robert's work)

howbb8works.png

And another:

FBYA3CZIJUCRMAJ.MEDIUM.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool. A guy on you tube did one too a while back:

Here is part one of that build here:

First modification, the base panel has now been filled with steel shot and comes in at 15lb, the motor will rotate this weight and when you reverse it that will then send the energy to the body which will rotate BB8 on the spot.

20170630_211117.jpg

This is what holds the dome in place, these magnets are deadly, just look at the box they came in.

19959112_1471542312892121_126840394910902474_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom