BSD Row 1 Ground Fault

mark adams

Site Supporter
Jun 21, 2015
cambridgeshire
Looking into the above, not the Logic as with the relevant connectors disconnected, the fault disappears. The castle lock solenoid keeps operating (every 10-15 seconds) which leads me to suspect the opto on that.
Alternatively the 10 opto board, the soldering on it is a bit dodgy, the LM339's have been socketed, I replaced the IC's just in case but no change.
If i unplug the top connector on the 10 opto board and plug it back in, the fault disappears until the game is rebooted which could still be a dodgy/weak opto on the castle lock.
Is there a good source of the opto pairs anywhere in the UK?
There is a kit of circuit board and components for the 10 opto board that i found which i am considering just to eliminate it and tidy it up a bit.
Thoughts??

pinballmania

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2011
You cannot discount a logic fault by simply disconnecting the connectors. That’s not how it works. With the connectors disconnected you then have to short each row to each column one at a time. You should get a singular switch report in switch edge test. If all combinations of row/column report a single switch then you can discount a cpu fault. If one short causes a row short to Appear them you have a cpu fault.

OP
OP
mark adams

mark adams

Site Supporter
Jun 21, 2015
cambridgeshire
You cannot discount a logic fault by simply disconnecting the connectors. That’s not how it works. With the connectors disconnected you then have to short each row to each column one at a time. You should get a singular switch report in switch edge test. If all combinations of row/column report a single switch then you can discount a cpu fault. If one short causes a row short to Appear them you have a cpu fault.
Thats a good point, one I had overlooked, I'll give that a go tonight after I have tried cleaning the optos.
The actual fault on power up is Row 1 ground short, it then goes into game over mode and the coil fires regularly like it is trying to clear a stuck ball. It threw me after disconnecting and reconnecting the plug on the 10 opto board as it then played a completely normal game including mist multiball with no errors or misbehaviour