What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Bram stokers shop log and mods

Disclaimer: I've not restored a cabinet.

Having said that I've plenty of shoplogs where people do and don't cut the decals around the legs (the worry being that they'll cause the decal to pucker). As @Wiredworm said, don't rush to refit the legs so that the adhesive has plenty of time to harden. The other option is to get some of those Stern-style leg brackets that keep the leg just slightly proud of the cabinet surface.

It was the leg protectors I was on about [emoji6]

That looks really nice Rudy. I take it you must have had one of the big silk screens already then. Definitely a must have tool to do a proper cab restore.

Very nice - at this rate it will look better than mine ;-)
How is the redecalling in terms of stress? Never done it myself - it looks hard !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Only done the head so far but it was fairly straightforward just have to make sure it's all lined up before you start peeling the back off. The hardest part is prepping the wood making sure it's flawless and smooth

Is there some kind of knack for undoing the big weird shaped plastic nut on the back of the launch button? I can't get hold of it with anything, adjustable spanner just slips

No turning back now....

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170711_72fa57fd86e86faafdc7005fe556d4d3.jpg

I had quite a good method going was coming off in long strips. Heat the decal until it starts to bubble. Get the scraper under it and slowly push along while holding the heat gun in front of the scraper as you go.

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170711_42656da6dd4265ed5e342891162ddef7.jpg

Worst part was using Matts white spirit method of removing the glue my hand still hurts from scraping that ****e

Oh yeah what do you guys do with the transformer when you do restores? Is there anything you do to clean it up or do you just leave it as it?

I stripped the brackets off mine and gave them a damned good polishing along with the bolts. Whilst they were off I masked off the windings and then resprayed the block. Mine is just boring black but i'm sure i've seen some people on Pinside bling them up with some fairly outlandish paint colours; I seem to recall one that was fire engine red.

One thing I was worried about was if I should be using some sort of heat resistant paint but the general feedback I got was that it wasn't necessary as the transformers don't usually run that hot. Famous last words probably; i'll let you know if mine combusts when I fire it up next time.

This post shows how mine came up: http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/rocky-bullwinkle-shop-log.3258/page-19#post-111942

Oh, and i've not forgotten about the rails Rudi. Sorry but work shipped me away at the end of last week so they're still sat upstairs waiting to be posted. Will try to get them off this week.

I stripped the brackets off mine and gave them a damned good polishing along with the bolts. Whilst they were off I masked off the windings and then resprayed the block. Mine is just boring black but i'm sure i've seen some people on Pinside bling them up with some fairly outlandish paint colours; I seem to recall one that was fire engine red.

This post shows how mine came up: http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/rocky-bullwinkle-shop-log.3258/page-19#post-111942

Oh, and i've not forgotten about the rails Rudi. Sorry but work shipped me away at the end of last week so they're still sat upstairs waiting to be posted. Will try to get them off this week.

Lol no worries

Good to see a great machine being made even greater. Make it perfect. No quarter, no compromise - it is going to an object of beauty. Loving this thread.

Right people on the lock down receiver mech there should be 3 labels. Danger high voltage in the middle, insert 4 balls on the right but what is the left one? Mine was covered in black grime so couldn't see what it said

No thanks to the crappy weather at the w/e today I painted the cab. Gone are the pointless extra leg bolts front and back and the security bar holes on the front.

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170717_3010796525107b63be228e6470379203.jpg

Originally I was gonna paint all the inside black apart from the base. But it was so soaked in beer over the years I couldn't sand it out, so it's all black.

Transformer cleaned, painted and brackets polished

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170717_a530a812f418dd2b112ea3b0f905177e.jpg

Really enjoying this thread. At this rate your BSD will look as good as mine ;-) Keep it up - BSD is a keeper and yours is going to awesome [emoji106]

So this new sub woofer arrived today from @newforrestpinball as you can see the original one was rotten. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again good price and great quality the cone is made from Kevlar for a start!

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170718_6bffe6488e2a9b3daddcb6dd5b98f548.jpg

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170718_db14a4525dbd39f45695d5f38e7a785a.jpg

Fair enough :)

Wednesday tomorrow so will try to get those rails packed and sent. Will drop you a PM when they're en-route.

Right people on the lock down receiver mech there should be 3 labels. Danger high voltage in the middle, insert 4 balls on the right but what is the left one? Mine was covered in black grime so couldn't see what it said
Hi rudi,
Nice log just seen it....glad you like the speaker....if you want a inspection sticker I got some if you want me to send you one dude?...let me know which name you want and I will pop it in the post. (P.s. Just one "r" in forest) never got into bsd myself but know many who love it..
IMG_2438.JPG

Back
Top Bottom