What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BOP, Hummed, smoked and melted cable.

King L.

Registered
Well house move went well.
BOP re assembled, all cables checked and re checked, but guessing the smoke was not a good sign. (it did pass boot)
White with red tracer has shorted and melted from transformer connection block to J102, fuse is correct rating and did not see the issue .
Before I change the cable and try again, is there anything on the board which would permit the short or in view fuse111 held, have I just been unlucky, the hum noted being the short and the transformer making the most of it.
I have metered the transformer and its output is registering correct at 16vac.

Thanks in advance

Simon

Rectifier gone bad? They aren’t fused on the AC side so can present a dead short to the transformer. Worth adding fuses on the AC side to all the block rectifiers to prevent this (if that’s what’s happened).

Ruaraidh, thank you for you reply, appreciated.
I will remove the board, check and replace, luckily they are nice big items so soldering wont be a pain.
Other than the failed cable, there is nothing else obvious on the harness, so certainly this will be the next place to check.
And yes, they will be fused.
Kind regards
S

Sys 11 and Data East were susceptible to similar burned cables if bridges failed .
This board addressed it

I know BOP is early WPC but may share similar design - I can’t recall .

Sgz Grizz
This is actually good news, both point to the same issue and rectification is easy.
It certainly made more sense for me too ask rather than throw another cable at it and see what else it could do.
Parts are on order.

Back
Top Bottom