What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blackout Start Button

Sertx

Site Supporter
Alias
Sertx
Hi,
My Blackout start blackout doesn't work, so can't start a game.
I have changed the batteries and when in Adjustments, since the start button doesn't register, I can't change credits, or any other setting.
The coin door metal wire doesn't award credits...

Any ideas please?
( I am pretty much clueless of anything happening under the playfield...)

Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20240111_231147.jpg
    20240111_231147.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240111_230956.jpg
    20240111_230956.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240111_131212.jpg
    20240111_131212.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240111_125158.jpg
    20240111_125158.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240111_125154.jpg
    20240111_125154.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240111_125212.jpg
    20240111_125212.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 15
The start button is unlikely to do anything until credits are added.

You can add credits by closing the metal contacts on the right hand switch on the coin door and probably the left hand one under the yellow cover but that will be more awkward to get at.

Thank you Peter, those switches don't work... I have pressed/moved them both many times and nothing happens...

Thank you Peter, those switches don't work... I have pressed/moved them both many times and nothing happens...
There's 2 leaf switches, one either end. One is covered with a that yellow plastic protector and the other is exposed. You "should" be able to "coin-it-up" by bending the outermost leaf touching the contacts togther.

Screen Shot 2024-01-12 at 00.14.09.png
That one on the far right. Or remove that yellow cover and try it on the left.

Screen Shot 2024-01-12 at 00.17.34.png

Thank you. I did it on both but nothing happens.
I usually add credits on my other Williams like that, but this one came on freeplay so never used these switches... and now something has gone wrong without me changing any settings anywhere...

Thank you. I did it on both but nothing happens.
I usually add credits on my other Williams like that, but this one came on freeplay so never used these switches... and now something has gone wrong without me changing any settings anywhere...
And the connections are all clean? If the fault only happened after you changed the batteries I'm guessing it is a set-up error somewhere. If cycles through attract mode you wouldn't think there's much of a problem.

The fault happened prior to changing the batteries. This is something I did just in case.
The attract mode is working fine...

The fault happened prior to changing the batteries. This is something I did just in case.
The attract mode is working fine...
Ah in which case I'd most likely suspect a broken wire somewhere, dirty contact. This post sounds like yours too > here <.
I'm no techie but that's where I'd look first, if not I'd suspect a diode related to the credit wires. Someone here will be of more use that me I have no doubt!

There's 2 leaf switches, one either end. One is covered with a that yellow plastic protector and the other is exposed. You "should" be able to "coin-it-up" by bending the outermost leaf touching the contacts togther.

View attachment 241908

This switch looks like it might be wired incorrectly, I suspect that the white (and whatever colour) wire should be on the other side of the diode leg - like the start switch and slam tilt switch on the coin door.

with the power off disconnect and re-seat all the connectors to the boards,sometimes a connector or cracked solder joints on the board can cause issues

It seems that the Start button, along with the coin switches, isn't working. They all share one line of the switch matrix, 'Column 1' as I recall. The 'Advance' and the central 'Up/Down' switches give entry to the diagnostic routines, as well as adjustments;

• With the machine idling in 'Attract Mode', open the door and select 'Down' on the centre switch
  • Press Advance; instead of going to the i.d. display, '1 495 #', the attract mode stops and the display test has all displays show '0'
  • Change the centre switch to 'Up' - the displays count 0 to 9, but press Advance
  • The displays go out, except for Credit display which shows 01, all feature lamps blink
  • Press Advance, to move to Solenoid/Flashbulbs, '02' (allow it to reset drop targets and serve out the ball(s)
  • Press Advance again, to reach Switch Test, '03'. Any switch closed is shown by its number. The coin switches, tilts, start button and High Score Reset make up the first column, switches 01 to 08
That written, all it'll probably do is confirm that the switches aren't being seen by the cpu/program. As already mentioned, check the shared (Green-brown) wire for them, if necessary back to the driver board.

Re. the yellow plastic cover for the coin switch trip wires; the cover has a slot in the upper edge, allowing a tech to press the cover in a little, closing the contacts. The door was also used on video games, where the cover had a sticker saying 'Press (at the top) to enter credits'

Thank you so much for your time, so kind to explain all that in writing.
It was doing diagnostics 02 no problem, but nothing happened on 03.
I went back to adjustments to fiddle about and the start button was working (as changing adjustment value), so I tried the coin door credit switch , and worked!! What a rush.
I cranked the credits and started playing. I love this game.

Suddenly, half way through the game, all displays went blank and the flippers stopped working. Only the GI is on (which are LED). Everything else is off...

Turned it off n on a few times and the usual short humming noise on start-up is not there. GI on, rest is non responsive....

Sounds like it's not booting. GI comes directly from the transformer so will come on when you power the game on.
Could well be a fuse somewhere.
You haven't fiddled with the boards at all have you?

No, I just pressed everything in to make sure all connections were in, as Steve suggested. They were all fine and my previous problem was still there. It only solved itself after the diagnosis, even if nothing happened on "03".
The game went dead mid game...

What you're describing sounds typical battery acid damage to the RAM chip lower left of where the batteries are normally placed on the mpu or a component failing in the same area. The RAM is prone to failure at the slightest but of static.

But equally it could be connectors or a dry joint somewhere.

One of the reasons why I buy new mpu these days and not have to worry about most of the above...

Back
Top Bottom