What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Birthday Bash - Vpin and Retro Classics Suggestions

James

Site Supporter
Alias
James
Evening all,

So for my 31st I am holding a little gathering for my uni friends, we usually meet up every six weeks around the country and its my turn to host. We usually do something in the day and start the drinking early evening. This is my birthday bash, so I am holding a tournament with a few areas and a shot (or four fingers) for the lowest in each "game", a little prize money (£30 from a £3 buy in) too, to make it interesting.

So far I have:

Foot Golf
(Just opened up nearby, really want to give this a go)

Pinball
Scared Stiff
No Fear

VPin

Ice Cold Beer
Attack From Mars
A N Other
A N Other
A N Other

Retro Gaming

Donkey Kong
Space Invaders
PacMan
A N Other
A N Other

Given the crowd are non-pinball types, but do love NF (only a couple have played SS and they like that even more) - suggestions please for the other VPin games, heaven forbid, I was even thinking of TAF (just because people seem to enjoy it, not me, but people). I have no experience of what goes down well with the masses, especially new comers.

The same for retro gaming please, if anyone has some suggestions for some classic arcade romps that is available on a Pi.

Cheers all,
James

Last edited:
I’d guess you want games that don’t last forever. Depending on the players, I’m assuming they will all be around the same age ?

PacMan is a good game that’s easily picked up even if you have never saw it before (blooming youngsters:p), Galaga or Galaxians are also great games but maybe to similar to space invaders? Crush roller is a good variation of PacMan

Or if the pi supports the newer retro games (if that’s a term) Pacland is pretty good and doesn’t last long unless you are good at it. I always liked qix but it’s not for everyone. Discs of Tron is a great game but I’d guess it needs special controllers.

For the pins I’d go with something that doesn’t have deep rules, maybe some EMs ? If Solid state something like the getaway or creature from the black lagoon which don’t need a great deal of thought to play but take a bit to master. Star Trek the next gen also seems to be popular with non pinheads. If there is a common music taste amongst your group of friends maybe pick a suitable music pin, ac/dc , kiss etc

I've been faffing with my VP cab today. Saw the Ice Cold Beer machine for sale and checked if it was available in VP, it is! You need 2 buttons on each side of your cab, quite difficult using buttons instead of joysticks! It may even be available for MAME?

Strikes 'N Spares is also pretty cool, although I had a flickering issue with the DMD.

@BigIan - How on earth did I not think of PacMan? - absolute stone cold classic, that has to make the list. Not sure AC/DC would be supported on VPIN9 would it?

@Marvello great shout on that Ice Cold Beer - that looks really fun and it has two buttons either side when I get it I will give it a go.

@BigIan - How on earth did I not think of PacMan? - absolute stone cold classic, that has to make the list. Not sure AC/DC would be supported on VPIN9 would it?

@Marvello great shout on that Ice Cold Beer - that looks really fun and it has two buttons either side when I get it I will give it a go.

Robotron... esp if you can do two player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Had a go at ice cold beer game at play expo Glasgow last weekend. Great and very addictive but don’t think it would get much play if I owned it tbh...

There is an option in the script to swap the up/down buttons around which makes it more intuative. Bomberman is always a good party game but best with 4 players.

Last edited:
I am running the pi with just a NES controller, which takes quite a few games out, probably should have said that.

I'd put Snacks'n Jackson in with the retro games. It'll probably give your mates something they've never seen before and it usually makes people laugh.

For the retro gaming list I was/am a big fan of Gorf (which we were playing in the arcades half a decade before you were born!) It's several game types in one, space invaders, galaxians, laser war thingy and awesome mother ship to dispatch.

On the lesser known front I like Pigskin 621AD.

For the retro gaming list I was/am a big fan of Gorf (which we were playing in the arcades half a decade before you were born!) It's several game types in one, space invaders, galaxians, laser war thingy and awesome mother ship to dispatch.

On the lesser known front I like Pigskin 621AD.

God I love GORF ! If I had one dedicated cab it might have to be that - just for the memories.

Sank so much dinner money into that on the way home from school back in 1981/2 .

I went hungry but goddammit for an hour or so every day I was Space Colonel and I ruled ! :cool:

PS - Please don't tell my mum I spent all my dinner money on arcade games. She'll go mental :rofl:

Since you have the nes controller you could play a game of balloon trip on Balloon Fight. I often pick that when I'm hosting a competition.

Avoid Galaga, goes on for so long.....

But probably my favourite :)

GORF seems to cover all bases, but it seems I MUST invest in a USB 8 way joystick...

Back
Top Bottom