What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BIG Decisions - Take Care

DRD

Registered
Not looking to lecture, but share an observation.

Two friends of mine have recently been very close to making awful decisions. This would have been completely out of character for very level- headed folk I have known for 20 years plus.

In both cases I concluded that these guys were emotionally fried. Their judgement was shot. Their ability to deal with the day to day aggravation of life seems almost spent following:

• Corona - worrying about themselves and others
  • No holidays for over a year
  • Worries about employment/ financial prospects
  • Living in a stream of endless negativity and media induced fear without the good things in life that bring balance - holidays, nights out, cinema, dining out, staying with friends, going to the football, going to the gym .....
I suspect that plenty of folk right now are pretty exhausted and precisely in the wrong frame of mind when it comes to dealing with conflict/ hard choices

Two friends of mine have recently been very close to making awful decisions. This would have been completely out of character for very level- headed folk I have known for 20 years plus.

In both cases I concluded that these guys were emotionally fried. Their judgement was shot. Their ability to deal with the day to day aggravation of life seems almost spent following:

• Living in a stream of endless negativity and media induced fear without the good things in life that bring balance - holidays, nights out, cinema, dining out, staying with friends, going to the football, going to the gym .....
I suspect that plenty of folk right now are pretty exhausted and precisely in the wrong frame of mind when it comes to dealing with conflict/ hard choices
But maybe it's your bad decision deciding that their decision is bad?

Getting out is so important. On top of Covid I've had a pretty crappy last 6 months.

Yesterday I went to Go Ape, then out for a meal, then onto a bar, onto a hotel then out for lunch today and a walk. It was amazing and I was so grateful to be out and amongst people. It was so evident how happy people were to be out, even the bar staff were delighted to be working.

Ridiculously that was the best two days I've had in 18 months which really makes you think. We're not designed to be locked up at home and restricted in our interactions. It's no wonder so many are struggling to balance even the simplest of things and becoming overwhelmed by a decision they'd previously have done on autopilot.

I have a family member who's just sold a house for moderate money and he's been trying to make his mind up what do, invest, save, buy more properties etc. I said,

"If you're unsure DO NOTHING." To make a decision for the sake of it when you don't need to isn't logical. Sleep on it, especially if it's for a lot of money.

Just be careful of the potential inflation that's looming large.
It's relative, i still remember my mortgage being at 6% low interest and inflation rates have been around for such a long time.

Last edited:
This is why getting everyone vaccinated is crucial. In my view it should be made mandatory and the army should be out with vaccine doused dart guns for anyone who resists.

I think a short extension of the current restrictions by a month is likely but I think the government realise that another 6 month lockdown like the previous one just won't work - we have had enough.

If this virus is around to stay then we need to figure out how to live with it rather than hiding from it, I was all for the lockdowns (and still am) whilst we sorted out a vaccine, we now have one that is 90% effective and thus there is no need to have stuff closed.

That might mean wearing masks as a normal way of life but I'd rather be out and about wearing a mask than stuck at home in effectively a prison cell.

Neil.

Be careful out there folks. It’s true. I was in the petrol station the other day and opted out of the 2 for a £1 deal on lion bars. Stupid decision as i paid 85p just for one.

Sorry. Only joking and don’t mean to make light of the serious topic. Right I’ll get my coat now.
You didn't buy kit kats ? - case closed

I feel the pain too! being an older dad with big son flown the nest living his own dream I now have 2 grandkids I rarely see.
My little fella Gabe (9) has kinda been starved of social interaction other than school this past year as things still don’t seem to be back to normal.
Even with mask rules in place I think we are going to see long term changes that won’t be over soon. I can see this personally at the ski slope I teach as the kids clubs are really quiet ATM and this seems the same for Gabes other activities like swimming, archery ect.

However on a positive note like @Gonzo said this past week has been a turning point for everyone’s mental health we have been out walking and biking most days with the half term holidays.

Like your friends I am in the same boat I’ve lost 3 close friend during lockdown and 2 days ago got a phone so to say my Ex 10yr my junior died of a heart attack!

This has got me thinking of simplifying my life and what’s important, so the toys I have built up over the years which are basically gathering dust need to be assessed and dealt with pinballs included!
Let’s face it 10 pins is a full time job and 5 of mine are on loan or Tombstoned ATM.
BTW it’s not just pins with 2 classic cars, 3 motorbikes, several bikes along with mountains of camera, computers, hifi gear ect ect ect.

I no longer worry about pinflation as classic pins are no longer a mile away from new ones and I’m all for trying the new stuff not reliving all the 90s ones some of which I’ve had several times over!

My wants list now is the stuff that is being released now or getting announced and I’ll not lose a great deal on my collection which is now mostly 2018 onwards.

Sorry went on a ramble but as I said I kinda feel the pain too, but as long as was quoted above they take their time make no rash decisions they may regret later.

I sincerely believe stress is the biggest killer and it’s closely linked with depression this is the catalyst for the nasty stuff like the big C and heart attacks.
Content and happy without the FOMO that the place I’m almost at, FOMO being the part I’m working on hard.

I feel the pain too! being an older dad with big son flown the nest living his own dream I now have 2 grandkids I rarely see.
My little fella Gabe (9) has kinda been starved of social interaction other than school this past year as things still don’t seem to be back to normal.
Even with mask rules in place I think we are going to see long term changes that won’t be over soon. I can see this personally at the ski slope I teach as the kids clubs are really quiet ATM and this seems the same for Gabes other activities like swimming, archery ect.

However on a positive note like @Gonzo said this past week has been a turning point for everyone’s mental health we have been out walking and biking most days with the half term holidays.

Like your friends I am in the same boat I’ve lost 3 close friend during lockdown and 2 days ago got a phone so to say my Ex 10yr my junior died of a heart attack!

This has got me thinking of simplifying my life and what’s important, so the toys I have built up over the years which are basically gathering dust need to be assessed and dealt with pinballs included!
Let’s face it 10 pins is a full time job and 5 of mine are on loan or Tombstoned ATM.
BTW it’s not just pins with 2 classic cars, 3 motorbikes, several bikes along with mountains of camera, computers, hifi gear ect ect ect.

I no longer worry about pinflation as classic pins are no longer a mile away from new ones and I’m all for trying the new stuff not reliving all the 90s ones some of which I’ve had several times over!

My wants list now is the stuff that is being released now or getting announced and I’ll not lose a great deal on my collection which is now mostly 2018 onwards.

Sorry went on a ramble but as I said I kinda feel the pain too, but as long as was quoted above they take their time make no rash decisions they may regret later.

I sincerely believe stress is the biggest killer and it’s closely linked with depression this is the catalyst for the nasty stuff like the big C and heart attacks.
Content and happy without the FOMO that the place I’m almost at, FOMO being the part I’m working on hard.
Well that’s just blown my lion bar story out of the water

When you look at Florida and Sweden it makes you wonder if all these prolonged lockdown mandates and the resulting consequences were worth it.

both locations have pretty the same consequences.

How about India? Because that's the sort of situation the UK would have been in had it not been for lockdown.

Be careful out there folks. It’s true. I was in the petrol station the other day and opted out of the 2 for a £1 deal on lion bars. Stupid decision as i paid 85p just for one.

Sorry. Only joking and don’t mean to make light of the serious topic. Right I’ll get my coat now.

LOL, and I saw multipack of 4 for £1 the other day in Morrisons (though the multipack ones tend to be a bit smaller than the individual ones).

Its taken me until May to get out of the county I live in, had 2 trips out including one into Scotland, to Dumfries (rules for going to Scotland changed on 26th April) - came back the scenic route and had a wander round Lockerbie that I've never been to before - surprised how small it is given its a stop on the West Coast mainline.

Back
Top Bottom