What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bench Power Supply Recommendation

Calimori

Staff member
Alias
Calimori
I am looking for a bench power supply to test the various parts of a pinball machine, though ideal range is the wpc89 era of BW. Anyone got a recommendation for a good one to look out for before I over spec and buy something too industrial?

This has come from getting a few things out of a machine and wanted to power them on the bend, I did have a 5VDC/12VDC transformer but that has gone to power mods in a machine so am now thinking a dedicated unit might be worth it.

something like this. there are loads of different ones on ebay

i bought two a few years ago. nice and heavy and good stable voltage.

IMG_7618.png

That looks very reasonable price. I have seen ones with multiple output at the same time, so you just use two at the same time?

That looks very reasonable price. I have seen ones with multiple output at the same time, so you just use two at the same time?
yes. the ones i bought have a 3rd output so you can disengage from the earth and make all sorts of interesting double voltages.

like this one :
IMG_7619.png

there are so many to choose from. check the weight. the cheap crap is too light.

@AlanJ, which option did you buy? Do I need 120V (3A) for pinball? Is 10A needed (as that is then limited to 30V).
Or do I buy three? ;)

I bought the 30v 5a ones. most of the stuff i’m doing is 5v, but i use max voltage 30v to quickly test a coil is firing correctly etc 30v will fire most pinball coils

I recommend this range RD Tech (I went with the 18A version... never used anywhere near 18A so far!).

Went with the self build option, as it was a fun little project.

Haven't managed to get Wifi to work, so do not recommend that module. USB feature can be very helpful when comparing current on similar boards.

I've got the same as the one in Alan's original post, and it's worked fine for me.

Went with the self build option, as it was a fun little project.
Have you got a link for the "self Build" option please @MadNat ?? I can only see pre-built... unless i;ve misunderstood :)

Deffo liking the look of those!

Cheers :)

EDIT : Ahh - This one??? Self build just meaning putting the blocks together not actually building the boards?? :D :D

1702674285882.png

It is pretty helpful to be able to current limit the output for short/broken component finding. Using Rigol myself.

Current and requirements are bench powering things I am repairing or troubleshooting. The amount of bench kit I have is growing so I need something that is tidy and justifies its places on a crowded bench.
The more I understand, the more I can test and fix and I have a few non-pin projects that will benefit too but they are likely 5-12V so pinball requirements will cover them.

I use to use an ATX power supply, but it got donated into a project and never came back.

Have you got a link for the "self Build" option please @MadNat ?? I can only see pre-built... unless i;ve misunderstood :)

Deffo liking the look of those!

Cheers :)

EDIT : Ahh - This one??? Self build just meaning putting the blocks together not actually building the boards?? :D :D

View attachment 239845
That’s it.. and yes - sorry.. you’re right more self assembly than build

Back
Top Bottom