What's new

BBC NEWS: How autism helps me win at pinball

It's interesting, I watched the ABC news snippet the other day, apparently his eyes don't look around the playfield or follow the ball - they just stay fixed dead center and he sees/processes everything at the same time.

Super power player! Pretty cool

Tim

Very useful when playing A13.

Some of Roberts hi scores are phenomenal but he's not always in the zone so isn't invincible . The way the pinball community has supported him is great credit. A fresh relief from the sniping on pinside

Our almost 5yr old is on the autistic spectrum. Not particularly interested in pinball yet. Prefers trains, table football and kickboxing. I can certainly see how someone with autism and an interest in a particular subject would become completely unbeatable.

Our almost 5yr old is on the autistic spectrum. Not particularly interested in pinball yet. Prefers trains, table football and kickboxing. I can certainly see how someone with autism and an interest in a particular subject would become completely unbeatable.
The limitation being with autism is that many are truly unbeatable when it becomes something where the biggest weight of the skill is in knowledge. With things that require more flowing concentration and physical ability (and highly combat-focused games) unfortunately the other realities of autism prevent many from truly shining here.

For pinball, indeed as the article seems to suggest, on a chaotic game in stressful situation I imagine he'd be at his weakest (although probably better than my very best!) but stick him on something more controllable and deep rules-based and he would be your worst nightmare in a tournament.

Very glad to read about this Robert lad. I hope he continues to do well.

The limitation being with autism is that many are truly unbeatable when it becomes something where the biggest weight of the skill is in knowledge. With things that require more flowing concentration and physical ability (and highly combat-focused games) unfortunately the other realities of autism prevent many from truly shining here.

For pinball, indeed as the article seems to suggest, on a chaotic game in stressful situation I imagine he'd be at his weakest (although probably better than my very best!) but stick him on something more controllable and deep rules-based and he would be your worst nightmare in a tournament.

Very glad to read about this Robert lad. I hope he continues to do well.

Yeah thats very true. Sensory issues, lack of spatial awareness, poor motor skills, balance and core strength are the main limiting factors. Thats mostly why we started him off at kickboxing so early. But blessed with a brain like a chess computer.

Back
Top Bottom