What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Basic dumb wiring question

Phil Lee

Site Supporter
Alias
Bill Froog
So the pinbot was wheeled in, set up and played a couple of games nicely.
Then one of the bridge rectifiers (my initial guess) went bad and the wiring pretty much all the way to the transformer set fire to itself.
Joy.
Anyway, that's the background..
Q1
I suspect that I should replace all the bundle of wires in that part of the harness.
It seems like only the (solenoid ?) white/red band wiring actually melted - but obviously other wires will have heated - probably degraded - correct?
Q2
Wire gauges.. Multi strand obviously, but any recommendations of wire supplies? Would be great to match colours - but I haven't any spare harnesses and want to ensure the wire I buy is up to the job - reels on eBay have different 'Awg' values - am I looking at 22?
Q3
I spotted the inkochnito driver board to replace these rectifiers (one failed, the other may well not be far behind) - which should avoid this situation happening in the future. I've emailed - but has anyone fitted one? Worthwhile or ?
Many thanks for your experience..

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

I've emailed - but has anyone fitted one? Worthwhile or ?
I have this board fitted to my DE HOOK very easy to install with clear instructions. It was a cost effective and neater upgrade of the big can cap, fuse holders and BRs as part of a power supply side rebuild. Inkochnito is great to deal with always helpful and responsive. Some pics from my file below.:thumbs:

WP_20160723_11_26_36_Pro.jpgWP_20160723_11_27_49_Pro.jpgWP_20160724_07_19_43_Pro.jpgWP_20160724_07_30_33_Pro.jpgWP_20160724_10_07_05_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
I have this board fitted to my DE HOOK very easy to install with clear instructions. It was a cost effective and neater upgrade of the big can cap, fuse holders and BRs as part of a power supply side rebuild. Inkochnito is great to deal with always helpful and responsive. Some pics from my file below.:thumbs:

View attachment 70911View attachment 70912View attachment 70913View attachment 70914View attachment 70915
Thankyou for that. Very tidy solution - and upgrade at same time. Appreciate the feedback - what a great community this is! :)

I've replied via email....
Many thanks! Searching the internet and the solution was right here on the 'internet doorstep'! Looks like a great way forward - nice board! Nothing worse than seeing the 'magic smoke' escape from a machine. An order on its way...
All the best!

Many thanks! Searching the internet and the solution was right here on the 'internet doorstep'! Looks like a great way forward - nice board! Nothing worse than seeing the 'magic smoke' escape from a machine. An order on its way...
All the best!

I have a scrap loom and probably the wire you need - maybe even the correct colour. Drop me a PM if you need some.

If it's any consolation I had the same thing happen to me - wires burning back to the transformer !! Scared the cr*p out of me. Ironically it was fitting one of the rectifier boards ...I stupidy wired it wrong :eek::rolleyes::( So don't be like me - pay attention when doing it .

The board is a great piece of kit though :thumbs:

I have a scrap loom and probably the wire you need - maybe even the correct colour. Drop me a PM if you need some.

If it's any consolation I had the same thing happen to me - wires burning back to the transformer !! Scared the cr*p out of me. Ironically it was fitting one of the rectifier boards ...I stupidy wired it wrong :eek::rolleyes::( So don't be like me - pay attention when doing it .

The board is a great piece of kit though :thumbs:
Really appreciated. Owing to the fact that I purchased some white 18awg (white is near enough) and limited patience to get game up and running, I'll patch with some new stuff.
Will double check everything (especially in light of minimal patience!) Before switch on. Board arrived swiftly and assembling now. Thanks again!

@Inkochnito
All the best!

Many thanks.. Wiring replaced, board in, game on. Fab stuff - went in lovely and easy. Smear of heat sink paste and the rectifiers even went in old holes! Many thanks for an excellent upgrade and peace of mind!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom