What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bally AS-2518-35 MPU Reference

Nedreud

Registered
Now that I've managed to bring two dead Bally AS-2518-35 MPU boards back to life for my PARAGON and GOLD BALL games I thought I would build a little library of reference material for these wonderful old bits of late 70s tech, particularly stuff I found hard to find anywhere else on the 'net or things I found out myself.

If you have any information you would like added please reply and I'll update this initial post.

JUMPERS

For starters I've created a map of the "E" jumper holes used to configure the board for various different combinations of original masked ROMs and custom EPROMs. The original hi-res 2226 x 2205 image can be viewed and downloaded from Flickr. Often the screen print on the board has been worn off or was badly applied in the first place, so it can be hard to read the labels.

MPU_E_ROMM_JUMPERS.png

The full list of holes is as follows: E1, E2, E3, E4, E5, E6, E7, E8, E9, E10, E11, E12, E13, E13A, E14, E15, E16, E16A, E17, E18, E19, E20, E21, E22, E23, E24, E24A, E26, E27, E28, E29, E30, E31, E32, E33, E34, E35 and E36. Where there is an "A" hole, these are common with the "E" hole of the same number, e.g., E16 and E16A are connected together.

The following chart (from http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index3.htm#35roms) shows all the jumper settings for all ROM and EPROM configurations. The first three rows highlighted in yellow are the factory defaults for the various types of ROM shipped in the original games.

MPU_JUMPER_CHART.png

Last edited:
Thanks @cooldan. As mesmerising as your avatar and a hell of a lot more interesting than my drivel about crusty old pinball cr@p ;) Keep up the great work on all those GIFs!

Back
Top Bottom