What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For Sale Bally -35/Stern MPU ROM Multigame PCBs

Dave2084

Registered
[Edit - new v3.0 PCB]
I have some more of these to sell after reworking the layout yet again.

The board plugs into the 33 pin connector at the top of the MPU and overrides the on board ROMs giving you DIP Switch selection of the game. It can hold either 63 games with a 4meg EPROM or 127 with an 8meg eprom, all version now support Vector v10.

The updated boards feature:
  • Gives your working board the flexibility of an Alltek.
  • Works on Bally AS2518-35/133 and Stern M100/200.
  • No more problems with crusty ROMs with the legs breaking off.
  • No more ROM jumpering issues.
  • Has a LED to monitor /RESET and a reset button.
  • A solder jumper on the reverse to allow standard addressing or extended addressing (for Vector v10).
  • An additional (optional) connector under the /RESET LED with the extra ROM address lines to use with an NVRAM so that settings/scores are saved per game.
  • Turned pin sockets for all ICs to allow for easy IC replacements.

Notes:
  • Due to a limitation of the -35 board design if the original U6 is a 2532 EPROM then you will need to pull it for the board to work (The critical VUA.02 signal this board uses to disable the original ROMs is fed to Vpp 🙄)
  • This will not work on an AS2518-17 MPU as the A14 signal is missing from the smaller 32 pin top connector (though I guess you could add it).
  • It will not fix a non-working board (unless you just have bad ROMs/jumper combinations).

I have written a PHP script to build the ROM image from the original ROM files so you can make your own choices of games to install. Typically the 63 game version has all the bally games with a few of the Oliver custom ROMs and the 127 game version will have almost all variants of Bally and Stern games. I include the LEON test ROM and the Stern Factory Test fixture ROM in all of the images I build.
You can clone/download the project here.

Sadly I have done a cost analysis of what these cost to make and after the parts cost, PayPal fees (if applicable), packing and postage I was actually making a loss so the new prices are as follows.

£32 - 63 Game Version (Specify Bally OR Stern) [Currently unavailable until I source more 4Mb EPROMs at a sensible price]
£35 - 127 Game Version [Available]

Prices include 1st class postage in the UK.
If buying Multiple units at the same time then subtract £3 for each extra unit (so 2x 63 game units would be £61).

IMG_3989.jpg

A v2.0 PCB fitted to an EBD MPU.
IMG_5461.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0247.JPG
    IMG_0247.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 717
  • IMG_0246.JPG
    IMG_0246.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 721
  • IMG_3414.jpg
    IMG_3414.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_5464.JPG
    IMG_5464.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 649
  • IMG_5465.JPG
    IMG_5465.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 591
  • ROM Multiplier 64 Bally v2.0.1 instructions.docx
    18.5 KB · Views: 16
  • ROM Multiplier 128 v2.0.1 instructions.docx
    24 KB · Views: 12
  • ROM Multiplier 64 Extended v2.0.1 Instructions.docx
    18 KB · Views: 9
  • ROM Multiplier 64 Stern v2.0.1 instructions.docx
    18.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Stern ROM Multiplier 64 Game v3.0.2 instructions.pdf
    106.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Bally ROM Multiplier 63 Game v3.0.2 instructions.pdf
    105.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Bally:Stern ROM Multiplier 127 Game v3.0.2 instructions.pdf
    134.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I'd like to buy a 64 game version please:thumbs:

Arrived yesterday, looking forward to trying it but it's going to be a few weeks yet before I get the chance. :thumbs:

Having been set the challenge of getting Vector v10 to work on this board by 2 Forum members, I have successfully modded it to add the extra address space required for this custom ROM (which is too big to fit on 2x 2732).

Here is Oliver Kaegi's page detailing the hack ...
http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_softvec.html

This modification does mean that the amount of available games is halved, but if you have a vector it saves a lot of messing about to get the v10 ROMs working.

Just trying to gauge interest here ... If I did another run of these with the Vector v10 mod as an option (rather than a hack) would anyone buy one?
I will of course also need to check with Oliver that he is OK with this!

Additionally, I will probably finish up the ROM building software so that you can build your own Multi-ROM image from the regular game images (and patches) to ensure no copyright issues.

Lastly, donation to the forum incoming.

I was one of the 2 who wanted vector 10 on this,and it's an awesome piece of kit and saves having to faff around with breadboard to get vector 10 running,also it still carries the most popular other games as well,so can be used in different machines if need be.well done Dave2084 and thanks for sharing it in the community

I am the kid at the back of the class with a white hat and the letter "D" on it !!
What is a vector 10 or does :hmm:

Sorry to post but Vector seems to be rearing it's ugly head again.
Dave, can you write a programme where after 50 games Vectors self destruct
Pleeeeeeeesssseeee

Dave, PCB has arrived, I'm impressed with the design and build quality. Thank you.

Question. Is it ok to use the board with the existing ROMs still plugged in, in which case does the ROM selection on the daughter board take preference to what's installed in the MPU?

Yes you can leave them in they will be ignored, if you move DIP switch 8 to off then that will disable the module and the original game ROMs will be used instead.

Enjoyed installing this today, thought peop's might be interested in some photos and a bump for this thread.

The gizmo and games I chose. Note dip switches ready for GOLD BALL 12 home ROM.
20180609_110008.jpg

Test install in a junker MPU, it uses the test connector J5 that probably nobody bothers to repin.
20180609_110404.jpg

Straight into the machine -133 MPU in this case.
20180609_110821.jpg

On boot, we have Oliver Kaegis home rom V12 per P1 display - woo hoo! Using dip switch 8 I can toggle it back to the MPU installed ROMs.
20180609_121123.jpg

Side note. The home ROM was really good, improved sounds and in particular in attract mode it runs a light show like modern machines (headsup @nedrued)
20180609_130038.jpg

Many thanks @Dave2084 I'd recommend this to anybody with an interest in classic Bally SS titles, can't wait to get this running VECTOR 10 (one day)

it turns your original mpu into an alltek mpu of sorts,with some games even the alltek does not have

So you swap one board between different games?
Yes you can. I'm currently using this to test a later version of GOLD BALL but actually I already have the V12 ROMs but I need to change jumpers on the MPU to support them. Thereafter, this will live in my VECTOR for a while to run V10 for the reasons in the post above.

Think I might have the home rom already, @stoptap ?
Could well be the V5 ones which uses standard 2732 Eproms. The version should come up on P1 display as the machine boots.

Back
Top Bottom