What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found it! Avo Meter (Model 8)

Paul

Staff member
Alias
Toibs
Longshot i know, however wondered if anyone had an old fashioned Avo meter for sale? Something like this :

Yes there's some on Ebay, Some on Facebook etc etc, however would rather from a known source than a random one....

Thanks
Paul

OMG, not seen one of them for a while, my dad used to have one of these good luck with your search

That's still my dad's go to bit of kit, it's probably on their dining room table at this very moment. I'll see what he did to get around the battery issue.

He used to say the only problem with fixing the these is you needed a working one to fix a dead one, before more compact multi meters where available. I assume he must have others somewhere as he never throws anything away. Will enquire for you.

Spoken to my dad and unfortunately he does not have another one. The last time he replaced the battery was 15 odd years ago and he got it from Maplin. Apparently the battery in it lasts a lot longer now that my brothers and I are not around to keep leaving the thing turned on.

He did add that the guts of the Avo are quite archaic by modern standards and are relatively easy to fix, you will however need a wheatstone bridge like the following to calibrate the wire wound fixed resistors inside.

If the case is solid and the dial is working a unit should be fixable. as a benchmark he paid £47 for his in 1965. I guess thats about a grand these days.

Good luck with the hunt.

If the case is solid and the dial is working a unit should be fixable. as a benchmark he paid £47 for his in 1965. I guess thats about a grand these days.
Around £60 for a working one on the bay... £30+ for status unknown... around a tenner less on Facebook, however none near me [emoji22]

Thanks for asking mate - is appreciated - and please thank your dad for his advice [emoji846][emoji1303]

Back
Top Bottom