What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Attack From Mars (in Yorkshire...)

A short (but long overdue) update:

WPC95 power driver board and Strobe board had new capacitors fitted - just waiting on another couple of caps before the strobe board is ready to go back in, as per this guidance: http://kcpins.com/archives/63. Hopefully done by next Thursday.
IMG_1539.JPG

Ramps are with @Paul who kindly offered to install stainless steel ramp flaps on them. Once i have them back they'll be going on pretty quickly as most of the topside is now complete. Got some fettling to do on the slingshots due to the incorrect dimpling on the Mirco playfield, and some solenoids need soldering in too.

In other news...

What's wrong with this picture?

img_0912-jpg.10396

Answer: I've lost the connector and cables in the top left corner at some point...

SORTED - i found it at the bottom of a big box and have added new targets - now fitted.

We also have a guest waiting patiently for her new games to arrive...
IMG_1543.JPG

In the meantime we had a new arrival over Christmas (which hopefully explains the lack of work done here!)
IMG_1492.JPG

hopefully more updates in a week or 2.

****ing Tron! It's taken all my time away from this AFM restore... mainly because it's just moderately easy modding stuff, not heavy duty soldering and serious thinking. Lazy? Me? Yes. But, in my defense, i've also had very little spare time - see previous update.

Anyway, the latest is that @Paul finished off the riveting on my stainless steel ramp flaps, and very good job he did too, so i no longer have any excuses not to get these onto the playfield. The blue flaps were corroded, so i wanted to use Pinbits steel ones because they should last longer and look better.

IMG_0823.JPG

IMG_0824.JPG

Completely unrelated, but i went to Bridlington for the day recently and took this picture postcard from the promenade cafe:

IMG_0836.JPG

I have no idea why he's doing that...

Might just not want to smell his feet but needs to have his shoes off...

~Or he could be looking at his nice bit of shiny metal that he found in private

All old caps replaced and dry joints reflowed on the power boardlast week, so hoping to get it in very soon...

Other than building the new garden office/pinball room, i have no excuses not to finish this project now. It's only been 18months... Except that the flat roof has started leaking again... FFS.

Aside from being the slowest restore log in recent history, I'm starting to doubt my initial claim that this will be a 'restore'...
It's turning into more of a customisation job... and i'm not the type who owned a Vauxhall Nova in the 90's, I've always been the 'buy a Ferrari and just leave it like that' type.... so this inward-facing defamation of character cuts quite deeply. What the **** am i doing to this this game???

Not to mention the fact i've since bought a SM and ST which sit nearby, both similar layout games... will i enjoy AFM-c it once it's done? Better crack on and find out...

I've gone with the red AFM ramps, as posted a while back, and added chrome ramp flaps (cheers @Paul !) because my originals were tatty and broken. If that wasn't bad enough, I'm now debating green pop caps for a nice contrast with that red. It's not original, but then neither is the playfield. I also have a green mothership, green fluorescent plastic things and the green bill ung saucer ring lights (red flashers still).

IMG_2037.JPG

Green pops? Not original.
IMG_2039.JPG

This Green mothership needs a better dome...
IMG_2042.JPG

Saucer contains a GozMod.
IMG_2041.JPG

New Caps
IMG_2038.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2040.JPG
    IMG_2040.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 11
Loving those green pop caps! Stick with those. Like the fluorescent under-plastics too. Can you swap the mothership caps over? That dark green one would look great on the green saucer.

And :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: dating your new caps ;)

This evening I have been mostly...

...building slingshot switches from scratch and wondering...

A) have I got them right?

...and...

B) why the **** am I building them from scratch - where did the old ones go?

image.jpeg image.jpeg

This looks awesome, man...I love the colours you've gone with and don't think it dishonours the original in anyway.

Makes you want to play on it...but equally happy to just look at it.

Deficient

adj.

1. Lacking an essential quality or element: I haven't got enough time or space right now to finish this! Inquisitive toddler + work (- parental help in child care) = zero spare time right now...
2. Inadequate in amount or degree: insufficient: I've totally lost what i'm doing and where to pick it up again. Nor do i feel sufficiently confident in my abilities at this time.

So, after some negotiations, @Andrew Stockdale has kindly stepped up to finish my job, and in reward gets to keep & play the thing for free for a while (and, it turned out; some Peroni!). It's going to be relatively easy for someone of his fixing abilities, whereas it'd probably take me another year of 'odd hours here and there'!

This is also my first venture into the world of loaning out a pin, and it's possibly something I'd be more inclined to do in future now.

Over to you Andrew (and a public apology for the fact barely any of it is original any more)...

"Missiles on standby"...

IMG_3044.JPG

Last edited:
Should be a fun project with mutual benefits. As long as I don't buy another machine any time soon. :rolleyes:

It's alive!

image.jpeg

Top marks & big thanks to @Andrew Stockdale for getting it over the line. Mods and that extra stuff is more my strength so I'll pick those nice-to-haves off later, as long as it fundamentally works that's the main thing!

As long as I don't buy another machine any time soon. :rolleyes:

Great plan! Dubious execution

Backbox filling up with circuit boards...

LED OCD gone in today. For those of us who like LEDs in the inserts, these boards are worth their weight in gold.

image.jpeg

And I've been messing about with GI colours, replacing some of the crappy LEDs I installed over 2yrs ago with much better LEDs from Comet.

image.jpeg

Updated the colorDMD rom from 2.5 to latest.

Need to
remove the PINLED CPU board and put the repaired original back in.
Wire up the UFO PINBALL mod boards.

No problem mate. I'll send you a link to get the stuff and then you can come over for an hour or so and I will build you one up. :thumbs:
Cheers, I'd like to make a few up (4 or 5) but let's start with some Tony Hart style guidance while I play TWD, and we'll take the rest from there :p

I'm happy to use just white lower brightness leds though. No RGB.

Cheers, I'd like to make a few up (4 or 5) but let's start with some Tony Hart style guidance while I play TWD, and we'll take the rest from there :p

I'm happy to use just white lower brightness leds though. No RGB.
Right. Ignore the message I sent you then. If you can find a suitable one colour LED strip on eBay then the build will be very simple.

The hardest things to get were the wing nuts and threaded bar.

Back
Top Bottom