What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

are the LE versions worth the extra cash?

AlanJ

Site Supporter
Alias
Alan
looking at the price premium on the JJP machines for the LE and other versions, also the Stern LE machines, i can’t help wondering if the price premium is really worth it? The “collectors” editions are a hefty price premium as well. so i’d be interested to hear your views on these please. many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For collectors, the LE’s are worth it. For players, maybe less so, unless they contain exclusive gameplay features - but then the Premium model should include that still. Some Sterns were either LE or Pro, no premium, like TRON & XMEN.

Owned a ST LE & TWD LE, as LE was all I could find for those games at that time. Sold both.

I’m not bothered by the LE bit anymore.

For collectors, the LE’s are worth it. For players, maybe less so, unless they contain exclusive gameplay features - but then the Premium model should include that still. Some Sterns were either LE or Pro, no premium, like TRON & XMEN.

Owned a ST LE & TWD LE, as LE was all I could find for those games at that time. Sold both.

I’m not bothered by the LE bit anymore.

so on some you get std, premium & LE?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some people say TWD Pro plays better than the LE without the crossbow slowing things up. I've not played the LE so no idea. I do think Metallica is worth the extra cash for the hammer but apart from that no other LE's catch my interest.

Some people say TWD Pro plays better than the LE without the crossbow slowing things up. I've not played the LE so no idea. I do think Metallica is worth the extra cash for the hammer but apart from that no other LE's catch my interest.
And I’m the opposite, love Met Pro and only miss the premium’s light show. Disliked the MET PREM hammer and the TWD LE crossbow.

Depends on the LE and extra features offered for me.

For example AC/DC premium/LE is certainly worth the extra cash with the lower playfield, diverter, and multitude of other toys.

Star Trek LE/premium not so much. Upkicker and metal ramps? I forget if there’s anything else but I don’t think there is that affects gameplay on that machine.

Star Trek LE/premium not so much. Upkicker and metal ramps? I forget if there’s anything else but I don’t think there is that affects gameplay on that machine.
Just the cosmetic RGB inserts and a defeated Vengeance ship, that leans over.

For Stern I'd always go with Premium over LE as gameplay/features are exactly the same. I only ended up with a Walking Dead LE as the Premium that arrived had a problem with it.

Stern Pro and Premium/LE usually have different gameplay features so it depends if that is worth it to you. I'm more that happy with my Aerosmith Pro, and chose Metallica Premium over Pro as it had enough extra features for me to pay more.

JJP do things differently where the gameplay is essentially the same across all 2 or 3 editions, but you get extras like invisiglass, shaker motor on the more expensive editions. For a Dialed In I'd probably go for the middle LE version over the Standard, but definitely not the Collectors edition.

Used to be the case that LE's were pretty sought after and some titles went up in value - Tron Le, BIBLE, METLE but prices are so high now, that ain't gonna happen again.

So, buy what you can afford and what you think you will enjoy:)

And also agree that many of the pro's play better than the LE's!

On the sterns I don’t think they are worth it as the prems are the same

Unless u love the theme so much

Others may be alien afmr etc

Premium I think is worth it on Stern - Walking Dead the light show is epic and the spinners and other touches great (I own Pro and premium).
GB premium is superb.

Batman - apart from the artwork the game is the same and purely LE or SLE from a collectors POV - as a player don’t bother.
AFMR the topper is worth the LE on its own!

Neil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'd generally say Pros are as good if not sometimes better flow and playability than Premium/LE. Premium/LE do often have some nice extra features, including lightshows and sometimes but not always better artwork and for me not enough to justify the extra £2k ish. And it should all be about how the game plays and IMHO following better as a Pro:

Xmen, Star Wars, Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Transformers

Better as Premium/LE:
AC DC

Not different enough/not worth extra cash:
Star Trek, Kiss, Metallica, Ghostbusters, Avengers

Funny, I love Star Trek and xmen le, but didn’t care less about twd le. Personal preference but I always like better toys and shiny things

Ghostbusters not different enough? Really?! Star Trek I agree but that laser that comes on the LE is epic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Horses for corses
St Le is basically the same as the pro but the light show side rails etc etc is amazing st Le is a thing of beauty along with tron Le I would pay extra for the Le

Gb not a lover full stop of the game but prefer the pro can’t see what the extra is worth really don’t like the slimer blocking the ramp shot on the premium and the ecto goggles is nise but how often do you look at it lighting same as pro I think pro with the topper is the way I would go

Sw I am a mega Star Wars and really want to love the Le but don’t the shots are so tight
I love the pro flows much better lighting same as pro I can’t see £3500 more than a pro the hyper drive thing is cool but is it worth the extra and the side rails look really budget with white card board behind these should have been illuminated or done like st Le

Aerosmith I think the Le is the biggest rip off ever over the pro for different colour a ramp which leads to a mini playfield with a flipper and a few targets actually ball lock in the elevator and that’s it lighting the same certainly not worth the £3500 extra

Kiss same as Aerosmith the silly toy on the back board is not worth the extra

I liked my x men Le but can understand why people don’t think it’s worth the extra I think it was only £2000 more than the pro and you get colour changing gi better artwork
Mirror back glass spinning disk pop up night crawlers moving ice man ramp which was annoying due to blocking your vision but the pro is equally as good game to play

Got Le I own and love this must be the most different game from pro and Le I haven’t spent much time on the pro but the rule set must be different
Le has full rgb lighting good mini playfield mint artwork over the pro

Twd own an Le and love it main playing difference is the crossbow which I like and is a cool feature but does slow the game down all other stuff on it over the pro is nice but pretty pointless extra magnet in front of well walker fish tank bicycle girl ramp some lighting difrences but not much both versions are awesome and one of sterns best to date

Transformers own Le and have had pro sterns most underrated game most of the stuff is pointless on the Le but it is nice the moving cannon that fires out the Ball’s is well cool starscreem is good on left ramp but that cradle thing on iron side is ****

Gb not a lover full stop of the game but prefer the pro can’t see what the extra is worth really don’t like the slimer blocking the ramp shot on the premium and the ecto goggles is nise but how often do you look at it lighting same as pro I think pro with the topper is the way I would go

I agree on Slimer and the Ecto Goggles but I love the magnaslings and the ramp that dives below the playfield with a physical ball lock. The magnaslings in particular are my favourite thing about the game - for me they made the Premium worth it alone.

Depends on the LE and extra features offered for me.

For example AC/DC premium/LE is certainly worth the extra cash with the lower playfield, diverter, and multitude of other toys..

Better as Premium/LE:
AC DC

It's common wisdom on Pinside that Premium/LE is the only way to go with an AC/DC - they're so much better that the Pro just isn't worth it.

Well, the LE/Premium certainly offers more bits and pieces: light show is great, and they have drop targets instead of standups, the swinging bell's very good (although the new VE's swinging bell makes up for that to some extent).

But the real big difference between the versions is that lower playfield, and there's the problem...

I was lucky enough to play plenty on a friend's BIBLE. I loved it except for the lower playfield which quickly grew old. Just didn't work for me at all.

I bought a Pro and I'm loving it.

as my first nib,I had no choice on TWD it was either a pro or limited edition, stern said that they wouldn`t be making a premium version, then they did after all le`s sold out , glad I chose the LE as a lot was taken away for the pro version, very tempted with Houdini as there will only be one version of this game

Aerosmith LE has superb RGBlighting and a mirrored backglass.

No LE is worth it in cash terms but some are way nicer than pro version.

As for Aerosmith, latest rumour is that Stern are adding Steven Tyler call outs. That would really make this game even better.

Similarly to the comment above I ended up with the LE for TWD as Stern claimed there would be no premiums. For players I can't see any real advantage in the LE over the premium versions. Might be slightly easier to shift on afterwards though. Some of the pros really do feel stripped down. GOT is missing about half of the game. AC/DC pro is possibly the ugliest machine Stern have released. Not having to stare at that dreadful pic of Angus justifies the extra cost on it's own. I like my metallica pro as it plays so fast but it is a very different game to the premium version. TWD pro loses out on not having the walker bombs.

The whole pro/premium/ltd model sucks though. The limited versions really add very little to the premiums. Not even including the toppers or shaker motors for the extra cost means there really is very little to justify the extra cost for the top end models.

Aerosmith LE has superb RGBlighting and a mirrored backglass.

No LE is worth it in cash terms but some are way nicer than pro version.

As for Aerosmith, latest rumour is that Stern are adding Steven Tyler call outs. That would really make this game even better.

Mirror back glass yes rgb lighting only same as the pro I think

Another’s stern cost cutting is rgb lighting I think got premium and le where the last game to have full rgb
The last few game a can see no difference between the lighting on the pro or premium it just the arrow inserts that are rgb and pop bumpers on some games

Back
Top Bottom