What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Applying Playfield OverlAy

pinballmania

Site Supporter
Against my better judgement I’ve been coerced into fitting an overlay onto a kiss. The overlay has been supplied by customer and appears to be from classic inc. I’m pretty happy with prep and applying it, but am not sure about applying it over the shooter lane concave section.

The decal is a full play field type with wood effect where necessary and is not die cut.

So will the decal stretch into the concave area of the shooter lane with or without heat, or would it be better to cut away the printed wood section and leave the original exposed. ?

Any other advise?

Andy

I'd be tempted to cut it away mate :thumbs: I doubt it'll stretch and fit well without heat and even if you whack the heat gun on it I can't see how it would last with the amount of ball travel on it.

Not done one ,but as I see it once fitted over the shooter lane use a Stanley blade and cut down the centre of the length of the shooter lane and just fold it down into the lane .
As the ball doesn't touch the dead center of the lane ,it does not need protecting , I think I am right,but what do you think ??

ive seen the shooter lane part cut out on a couple,looked ok if done properly

Thanks for the input so far.

When you say cut out the shooter lane part Are you thinking just the concave bit, or the entire section.

At the moment I’m thinking to cut out the entire wood part up to where it enters the upper playfield. The two sides will be covered with the rails, leaving only the top entry edge

1928f9771e0caac1743f740c1695ac18.jpg

For some reason I was thinking it was a clear protection for the new kiss machine:hmm:
Anyway I would do the 2nd pic like What Chris said :thumbs:
I would imagine the shooter lane grove be sanded down first then clear coat or it could be painted then clear coated to seal it all in ,it depends how far do you want to go !!

Hi Andy,
Done dozens of these, we always cut away as in picture 2 , the secret is to sand back the shooter lane and clear coat if it has real ingrained dirt and light indentations, this way the colour difference is minimal. then cut back in stages until it looks just right.....p.s. This job takes hours...! But it looks great when the playfield is repopulated. Hope this helps......

Against my better judgement I’ve been coerced into fitting an overlay onto a kiss. The overlay has been supplied by customer and appears to be from classic inc. I’m pretty happy with prep and applying it, but am not sure about applying it over the shooter lane concave section.

The decal is a full play field type with wood effect where necessary and is not die cut.

So will the decal stretch into the concave area of the shooter lane with or without heat, or would it be better to cut away the printed wood section and leave the original exposed. ?

Any other advise?

Andy

Have had one of these on my Eightball been fitted years ago
Not cut it out put a flouresant starter in the grove and clamp it to hold it down will rebuilding the rest of the playfield
Never had a problem with it
Also done a Xenon and EBDeluxe with no problems

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the input. I cut the shooter lane away. I like the authentic look of the groove.

09c842dda29c5b7286ca895dbdebd5e7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom