What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone use Bitcoins?

No, but you need a crossfire capable motherboard in order to use multiple cards without going down the powered riser route.

Every time I think I have handle on it, I get told about another technology I didn't know about. ;)

Calimori - Sounds like we are both Pc building experts.... From about 10 years ago... Same problems here.. unless you keep on top of the new stuff daily, it's all too easy to get left behind!!

Back in the day when I was a gamer as were all my friends. Plus I built them for work as it was team building for us to build the desktops we would use. I have my last built tower waiting to be packed for the move and I am sitting here thinking it won't be any use keeping it. I was reading up the types of PCI slots and just thinking I could actually buy a set of bits that don't fit together or then don't mine efficiently.

This is making me feel old. :cool:

I used to have a SETI farm - 4 quad core machines running 24/7....

SETI@home classic workunits4,292
SETI@home classic CPU time15,712 hours

I think at the time i was #20ish in the uk.... Oh those were the days.... of cheap electric etc etc :D

ET would be lost. All he knew how to use was a speak and spell connected to a portable record player.

I do know that we only have a few months mining left. The difficulty is about to explode with the onset of the new asic hardware for litecoin that will render all current machines useless at mining. Once the difficulty rises to a level that wont make it profitable anymore, its time to sell and cash in the stuff you bought to mine with on ebay.

Buy whatever you can, as early as you can and you should make a fair few quid by the end of feb. (When the first asic hardware is to be delivered - fingers crossed its delayed)

There will only ever be 21million bitcoins. There will only ever be 84million litecoins. At that ratio, litecoin should be closer to £200 than the £23 it is currently. Of course, its all speculative right now (and risky) but get in as early as you can for maximum benefit.

Worst case: You spend a load on leccy and parts only to get a meagre return on your hardware and the cryptocurrency market bottoms out, leaving your mined coins worthless.

Best case: You make a bundle of coins that keep rising in value for you and your families future.

Who knows? Its all VERY interesting.

Last edited:
Thought the whole point of scrypt was you couldn't build asic miners for it?

So, did I. Unfortunately, they found a way:

Alpha Technology Announces Scrypt ASIC Miner For Litecoin By Mid 2014 | Bitcoin Blogger

That's a UK company and I hear several more are in the early stages of startup too. These first machines will pump out 10-100mh/s, using MUCH less power. They will also be prohibitively expensive for most too although none have any concrete prices just yet. I expect entry level models to be around the £2K mark with the real money makers being around £20K

Back
Top Bottom