What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone know a good plating company???

tomds87

Registered
Hi Guys,

I have two Gottlieb EM machines I'm in the process of restoring at the moment. Some of the metal parts have rusted. Dealing with the rust isn't an issue, but what to do afterwards to prevent the rust will be. I'm looking for somewhere to send the parts to get them re-plated. I think i'm right in saying that a lot of Gottlieb parts were nickel plated rather than chrome, so i'd probably look to do that. Does anyone know a company that can do this and doesn't charge the earth?! I contacted Ashford chroming in Kent a while back about a coin door and they quoted £145!!!!

Thanks,

Tom

Vehicle & General polishers & platers, 4a Hitchin rd, Arlesey, Beds SG15 6SG 01462 835847 Superb work, used them loads but quality comes at a price I'm afraid! I post stuff to them. They have a website.

What would you typically pay for coin doors and bits like that, just so I have a rough idea?

Never done coin doors as I buy new ones from PBR but will be pricey due to the work involved. Chrome legs I get new ones as prohibitive to rechrome I think. Best give them a call - they are very friendly & you could maybe email a pic of what you want doing to get a ball park figure. Difficult to give individual costs as I just post a parcel of parts to them & when done they give me a price for the lot. Their work is seriously good; cheap chroming is just that, poor quality. Even if you can find it cheap! Their stuff looks phenomenal on the machines.

I had a full set of Baywatch wire forms done by broadway brass in Birmingham who were pretty good.

If you get Nickel plating done this will be a flat grey finish. What you may be after is the cadmium finish?

Cadmium is used in a variety of colours for screws in more modern Pinball machines (possibly older ones too), mine has blues, greens, reds, and browns. But the common colour is the yellow finish. I have a vat of cadmium dip you’re welcome to use. But it will only stick to nickel so if you’ve got corrosion, it will only come up yellow on the bits that retain the original nickel plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see you are in Kent, There is Capital Chrome Ltd in Camberwell SE15 (020 7639 6434). Last year they quoted me £75 min fee and then a touch more after parts inspection.

I have not got around to using them but I think they have a cheap way and a premium way.
Cheap way being they wait for a weight or mass of items and do it all together and the cost is spread between all those involved but you may need to wait longer.

Premium way, you take you stuff in and they just do your bits and charge you more.

Been looking to do my AP13 rails - close to home and further a field - ball park £160 - £180 - not sure of quality but i'm sure I'll be great - @carl lawrence had his Fishtails handle done @ Niphos in Crewe - I also contacted sales@broadwaybrass.co.uk - £160 + P&P

Still not sure what to do really - chrome or powder coat - big price difference. @BigIan - looked at some pics on line of the chrome powder coating - IMHO didn't like but might be better in the flesh

powder coating is a good choice- got 4 legs,coin door,back glass rail,back box hinges,feet,leg bolts £80 any colour or chrome finish

Back
Top Bottom