What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone growing chilli's this year?

I failed last year. My green house is too shaded.
I got a little tent so its in good sun most of the day.
I read a breeze makes the stalks stronger.

They'll grow on a windowsill. They benefit from using a paintbrush on the flowers to pollinate them, to simulate insects visiting them, otherwise the flowers will just drop off instead of turning to fruit. Another pollination technique is to shake the plant relatively vigorously to pollinate, but that risks plant damage.

They grew some sunflowers last year at the boys school. He said some of his class had massive ones. His was tiny when it came home. Then in autumn it started growing. Very strange.

Got a reasonable crop off a standard one on the windowsill last year. Nothing Carolina reaper style (Tho i do like my hot chilli's), however always nice to add fresh ones to a decent chilli. also means they seem a little hotter fresh off the plant!

I must try not to add Chili's to absolutely every food imaginable this year... However the current "crop" are in the greenhouse germinating :)

A few years ago before we had kids we actually had some time for gardening. We grew loads of stuff in the back garden. Had 3 vegetable patches and a greenhouse. Grew the following: Chilli peppers, Jalapenos, Bell peppers, Pumpkins, Marrows, Onions, Squash, Corguette, Aubergine, Rhubarb, Cucumber, Parsnips, Carrots, Garlic, Leeks, Brocolli, Swede, Basil, Corriander, Mint, Parsley, Strawberrys, Tomatoes, Blackberrys, Blackcurrant, Whitecurrant, Redcurrant, Apples, Pears, Cranberrys, Cayenne peppers, Cheyenne peppers...and finally Chenzo peppers. Actually pretty easy. Pumpkins were by far the most fun thing to grow.

I grew some last year, and was adding chillies to everything because we has so many. Chillies in scrambled eggs is awesome.

I saved some seeds from the dried out chillies and have planted them this year, most of them have sprouted but taking ages to get anywhere though.

A few years ago. I did chill tomato and onion super finely chopped into a paste. And smashed in on a cheese toasty.

We only grew chillies the one year. It took us about 4yrs to eat them. Really enjoyed growing them, drying them etc. Prefer a big bottle of Nandos these days though.
They make nice decorations...
FB_IMG_1494450489682.jpg

Encona and causal extra hot are my favourite. Oh and Frank's with pizza.

More overkill.

Had a little aphid problem. But the heat seems to have killed them.

They're doing good man. Didnt try any super hots this year. Too much like hard work.

Photo bucket is being a meany..... How do I upload photos from my phone now?

Back
Top Bottom