What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any woodturners on here

I've done a bit (hobby stuff just, start with a big log and make a toothpick kinda job) My Brother in law is massive into it and has loads of Lathes and Bandsaws and the like.
You looking something turned or just looking people to chat with ?

Thanks guys. I got into it about 18months ago. Really enjoyed it and am now looking at a 3rd upgrade on a lathe. I’m running carbide for now because sharpening is just another level i dont have the mental space for now.

I checked out middlesex turners group but there was like a 30 years age gap between me and them and not sure if it’s the right place for me atm. So i’m a bit stuck for advice and can’t keep asking the chisel seller for tips

Not really wanting to join a forum either as did the same here and now bought 4 bloody pinball machines

i’m in london - there is one in Twickenham but it isn’t the place you go for a chat and biscuits

But all the info helps as i understand more and more how to search and what to narrow down when looking for things

I’m buying assorted wood sections off ebay and want another source for larger stuff

I know @Calimori has a nose for it too so i can share with him my knowlage , that’s if i can drag him away from TNA without the kicking and spitting 😂

Attachments

• IMG_5394.jpeg
    IMG_5394.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4996.jpeg
    IMG_4996.jpeg
    139.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 16D7A562-D80E-4D33-8FBC-3C35A06C5FA2.jpeg
    16D7A562-D80E-4D33-8FBC-3C35A06C5FA2.jpeg
    55.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0765.jpeg
    IMG_0765.jpeg
    215.4 KB · Views: 13
I keep looking at Lathes on Facebook Marketplace. Currently dont have the space to be able to set it up properly, however hopefully in the future i would love to be able to learn and get involves (Wooden bowls ahoy!).

I have the same issue around another hobby of mine - Valves/Vacuum tubes. Most people are in their late 70's (well - thats where the experience is!), and those people are rapidly dwindling in numbers because of the obvious!

Hey Paul, mine is also good for metal and resin. It’s a bench mount unit - Would that work in your space ?

I keep looking at Lathes on Facebook Marketplace. Currently dont have the space to be able to set it up properly, however hopefully in the future i would love to be able to learn and get involves (Wooden bowls ahoy!).

I have the same issue around another hobby of mine - Valves/Vacuum tubes. Most people are in their late 70's (well - thats where the experience is!), and those people are rapidly dwindling in numbers because of the obvious!
You will never have to think of a gift again. I think my whole street has a bowl of some sort in their house now.

Hey Paul, mine is also good for metal and resin. It’s a bench mount unit - Would that work in your space ?
Possibly... I dont know how much room i am likely to have before I have the Gamesroom built in the first half of next year. Dont need anything massive... something to practice on and play initially.

You will never have to think of a gift again. I think my whole street has a bowl of some sort in their house now.
I would be lying if i said it hasnt crossed my mind :D

From my experience this size is standard for a 6-10” plate / bowl. 500mm distance between centres
I choose this one as it’s recommended and fully controllable
But now i want a floor mount with swivel headstock so looking at the coronet herald

From my experience this size is standard for a 6-10” plate / bowl. 500mm distance between centres
I choose this one as it’s recommended and fully controllable
But now i want a floor mount with swivel headstock so looking at the coronet herald
I was looking at the more modern nasty ones the other day in Lidl, and was nearly tempted... the backed off because of the time of year! :)

Sounds almost as addictive as pinball!!! :D

I know some wood whittlers here, one is a chippy who fitted a kitchen in my rental. Top bloke!
All done by hand though.
He bought some land/woods nearby where they meet to make things and smoke herb, might have to join one day😂

i’ve reached the point “dads in the garden shed” in my life.
Last night i sneaked a beer down there and the rest of the cigar i started xmas eve

I did think about some woodwork but got sidetracked
Wonder if i can get a sofa in there 🤔

I do have a question for those that either have friends who turn or themselves. Where is good to go to get large blanks for bowls please ?
size prob 6-10” wide and the same deep or thereabouts

I’m gonna keep a lookout for a whole tree. I’m equipped fell it and section it myself. Then store and dry it but this is a long term solution

My upgrade is in and working and my bench unit is now ready to be sold

Attachments

• IMG_5629.jpeg
    IMG_5629.jpeg
    204.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5622.jpeg
    IMG_5622.jpeg
    215.7 KB · Views: 16
I was about to ask which one the new one is until i re-read the "bench unit ready to be sold"!! Both lovely bits of equipment!

Ha, sorry yes I have gone up in size
Actually 2 models from the 320 - i’m way over my head with this one but the next one up from the 320 ( The Herald ) had the controls mounted on the motor casing and are the plastic flat press and hold types.
I instantly knew i would not get along with them and reaching over a spinning lump of wood to the controls IMO is nuts

At least now there is no need to change ever again. And everything is just how i like it

Back
Top Bottom