What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any physics gurus ?

DRD

Registered
I installed these in my new pinshed about 6 weeks ago.

IMG_20171127_0948514.jpg IMG_20171127_0948443.jpg

NOTE - Never build anything if you live in the Midlands. It is just not worth it. Build stuff elsewhere.

The shed now has moisture inside as the new screed floor is drying out. As there is cold weather outside, some condensation ought to be expected. I have two dehumidifiers and a bit of heat running at night and am airing the building during the day.

Of these 4 panes of glass, one is misting up on the inner surface of the pane. I cleaned both it and its neighbour today so this is not a case of a filthy window getting misted up.

When double glazing units fail you usually get condensation between the panes. So the manufacturer is trying to tell me that there is nothing wrong as my condensation is on the inner pane.

This makes no sense to me as the neighbouring pane is moisture free and there is no heater or source of cold affecting one any more than the other.

My guess is that this pane has failed. But that the dessicant that lives in the middle is slowly absorbing the moisture between the panes and will soon get full of moisture and fail.

Changing this pane will be a huge pain in the @rse so I do not want to do so unnecessarily. I fitted these myself and it is a two man job really when dealing with a 2m long bit of glass.

Does anyone know what might be going on here please?

I bought the thing on a credit card so it will get sorted one way or another.

Thanks

Last edited:
Inner surface condensation can also mean the room temp inside is too cold. But it’s odd that only one is doing it, that what makes it questionable.

Easy to test -heat up the inside of the room and see what happens.

Reactions: DRD
washing up liquid residue on clear pane ?

Pane mounted wrong way around ?
*I know they are units of glass but pane sounds easier in a description

If there is condensation inside then the seal has failed or the cold air wouldn't be able to get in to form the condensation. 100% defective seal also proved by the others not being defective!

Is the air vents open ?
Because you are still in the drying out period .
Have you installed the glass the right way round ,this really maters !!
To check look at the writing between the glass .
Is there direct sun light on the glass ?

someone needs to draw a penis in that condensation, it's just crying out, begging for it. don't forget the pubes and obligatory two emitting globules.

you're welcome
sky pen is.jpg
note that in the above artistic example, the pilot has unfortunately neglected to delineate the helmet lid and the Jap's eye

Last edited:
someone needs to draw a penis in that condensation, it's just crying out, begging for it. don't forget the pubes and obligatory two emitting globules.

you're welcome
View attachment 55297
note that in the above artistic example, the pilot has unfortunately neglected to delineate the helmet lid and the Jap's eye
I think you misread the title....:thumbs:

Thanks for the responses.

All 4 glass units all came from the same place on the same day. They are all argon filled and laminated.

The sealed glass units are made up of 2 different types of glass which have different etchings on them. So I can see that all 4 units have been inserted the same way around.

Sunlight/ heat/ moisture are the same for all of the units. They get direct light for about three hours max in the morning as the windows face East.

I am mystified by this one. I have known car windows with a disposition to condensation, but that was when they were really dirty.

I cleaned these windows this afternoon so that is not a factor.

This is the current state, so the damned thing has misted up again within a few hours. Yes the room is humid. But only one out of four mists up. Only the top 10cm is clear and that is due to the open trickle vent
IMG_20171127_2126443.jpg

Attachments

• 15118177488491794280001.jpg
    15118177488491794280001.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 12
Can you leave it locked but open a touch?

Last edited:
Good suggestion kev. I do have a cheapo infa red surface thermometer.

The outside temp is about 4 degrees. The inside temp is around 13 degrees. Both French doors are about 13 on the inside. So I think that the faulty window is insulating correctly.

I think that the manufacturers may have reversed the orientation of the inside pane of the problem unit. The inside pain looks to have some sort of coating that is already a bit scratched.

The manufacturer's etched label on the inner pane is readable from the outside on the three functioning units. The text is reversed on the faulty one.

I have just cleaned the damned thing with ipa and it is misting up within minutes. Fab

Dealing with the building industry is such a pain. It must be synonymous with fraud and dishonesty.

There is such suspicion out there. You are treated as a bad credit risk before you even buy anything. So when you buy stuff that has a fault, you are dealing with folk who immediately treat you like a con artist trying to scam them.

Seal is gone.
If you wipe the pain of glass on both outside and inside and you still have the mist, then the seal is gone in my books.
It will go away at times during the year but it will always comeback.

Outside air has leaked into the misting glazed unit and is as cold as the air outside, hence the warm air inside is condensating upon the cold glass. The other hasn't failed.

Only way I can see that happening.

Last edited:
Surely Dave is saying the condensation is on the outer surface of the glass unit on the inside of the building ?
Not that the inside of the unit is comdensating up ? That's how I'm reading it anyhow

Still sticking with my original post that the unit is reversed (or built back to front) try the supplier again, mention the kite mark is reversed on the 'faulty' unit. If still no dice get your credit card company to deal with it

Surely Dave is saying the condensation is on the outer surface of the glass unit on the inside of the building ?
Not that the inside of the unit is comdensating up ? That's how I'm reading it anyhow
I think that has confused a few people, I assumed the same as you, not between the panes.

It is only the internal surface of one of the internal panes of French doors that is misting up

Normally with double glazing, when the units fail the symptom is condensation between the panes. This is caused by the seal allowing cold air into the cavity between the panes.

I am going to speak to the technical department of the glass manufacturer today - saint gobain

View attachment 55297
Then why bother? Amateurs.

But seriously, I echo your pain David - dealing with the building trade seems to be completely unregulated, whereas architects (for example) are ‘governed’ by various ‘professional’ bodies that are all too quick to chastise if they so much as sneeze wrong.

Last edited:
If it is misting then it is colder on the inside than the other panes. Period. The only reason can be because the seal has failed and so the unit has lost its insulating properties.
Yes, I said ‘period.’

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If it is misting then it is colder on the inside than the other panes. Period. The only reason can be because the seal has failed and so the unit has lost its insulating properties.
Yes, I said ‘period.’

Its not inside the unit though its the outer surface of the glass unit all be it on the inside of the building.

I phoned saint gobain today and got through to the technical manager.

He advised that double glazing has a coating applied that is designed to improve thermal performance. This coating is only applied to one of the four glass surfaces - the cavity facing surface of the internal pane. Saint gobain stamp / acid etch its logo onto this coated surface so that the manufacturer knows which way round to place it

My three working double glazed units have this coating correctly facing the cavity. The pane with all the condensation had this coating incorrectly facing the room.

My glazing comapny seems to accept this, but I ain't counting my chickens and have my credit card company behind me if need be.

I paid a premium to use my credit card to settle this window bill. I would advise folk to always consider using their credit cards when dealing with the building trade, unless you know/ trust the supplier.

Last edited:
A house we built a good few years ago had traces of the black glue inside the cavity.
The black glue was more visibible in some units that others (the glue nozzle had dripped on some of the glass when moving across the glass diagnally leaving hair like traces of glue)
My dad gave off stink and got a whole new set of glass units sent out and fitted (about 15 units) we also got to hold on to the faulty units as they were custom made, so we had spares in case any units got damaged etc

Hopefully you will get a similar outcome :thumbs:

I wish I had the money to burn the sodding place down. I have been hit by something like this every week of the build

My long term dehumidifier lives in my workshop and is a modestly priced 12 litres a day model

I bought a new one. Much more expensive, supposedly a more powerful one rated at 21 litres a day as I now have two structures that need them

Suffice to say the old one sucks out more moisture than the new one, despite working in identical conditions. Machine Mart will not exchange my new one, it wants to take 2 weeks sending it back to the manufacturer. You can touch the element and feel that it is not cooling properly, but computer says no

Drives me mad

Sounds like you have cracked it.

Just wondering if one of those doors was the one you are walking in and out of - the one you open and close. That will get momentarily cooler as it’s exposed to the outside temp. If it’s left open for a longer period of time to help ventilate the moisture and you are then closing the door, that would also explain it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom