What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Opticians On Here ? Or Folk Who Got a Good Deal on Glasses ?

DRD

Registered
I have managed to get by with just two sets of prescription glasses frames in the past 25 years.

I last bought a titanium frame by Lindberg over 15 years ago. They are superbly designed, use decent quality titanium that does not scratch, they have no screws. So even though they were relatively expensive, the damned things last and do not go wrong.

Sadly I now need varifocals so have to buy physically deeper glasses. I know what Lindberg frame I want, but few folk stock them (one per city) and when you buy fancy frames they want to charge mega money for lenses (£400 plus !). You also hit restrictive practices as you get "if you don't get your frames from us, we can't fit your lenses".

The Guardian newspaper reported recently that prescription lenses are effectively a cartel. Three firms basically account for the market. They cost about £30 to make. Specsavers sell them for £150. But fancy opticians sell them for £600 !!!!

Has anyone found a good deal on getting lenses fitted pls ?

thanks

After an eye test showed that my prescription had changed again in the last 12 months I decided to reglaze rather than go for new frames and lenses. Most opticians will do this but few make much noise about it because of course they want to sell you new frames as well as lenses.

I eventually settled on an online company - Reglaze Glasses Direct - sent them my old frames, my new prescription, and quickly got my 'new' glasses back... cost was only £35! Very happy with the work they've done.

They do single vision, varifocal, and sunglasses.

Rob

Last edited:
I did this recently

Free eye test at Tesco opiticians - bigger superstores. They have to give you your prescription but you are under no obligation to buy from them.

Took my prescription, ordered online at Glasses Direct - they always have offers on - I got 2 pairs for about £30 !! One of them is prescription sunglasses. Loads of frames to choose from. You can also order a bunch to try and return if you want. Quality seems fine. I was chuffed.

Are you sure you can hack varifocals? I had a pair for weeks, could not get used to them. Another option is Contacts - then you can get away with Readers from a Pound shop.

Are you sure you can hack varifocals? I had a pair for weeks, could not get used to them. Another option is Contacts - then you can get away with Readers from a Pound shop.

Back
Top Bottom