What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Antivirus Software - Worth Paying for Subscriptions ?

DRD

Registered
Hi

Do folk on here still buy stuff like McAfee and Norton ?

Is it worth the money ?

Are free ones available these days ?

Thanks in advance

D

Don't bother, they create as many problems as they solve.

Recent windows versions have windows defender included which serves the same purpose.

Just be careful not clicking on random stuff from shady emails/websites and you'll be fine.

Think we have Norton which used to buy as a one off at £25 a time, it automatically renewed itself last year and charged me around £80. I always specify non auto renewal on all my insurance policies so they must have hidden this well.

I've used AVG on a Kindle Fire but don't want to rely on free software for a critical feature such as anti viral/malware on any important devices. So for many (15+) years my 'go to' antivirus is Norton which I have on my laptops (Windows) and mobile devices (especially Android phone). I know there are sporadic reports of conflict problems but I've never had any with Norton but have had with McAfee which is why I stopped using it and will also delete it if it comes pre-loaded on any hardware I buy.

Windows Security is more than enough. I literally just use CC cleaner otherwise to clear rubbish out.

I would say it depends.

If you're like my Mum and Dad and you just about know how to use the internet, but have no idea about all these other things computers can do, then yeah - it's probably worth paying for something.

If you're reasonably techy and understand some of the risks, such as knowing not to click links in spam emails, then you can probably get by with Windows Defender which is built into Windows for free, and making sure your browser is kept up to date. Paying for extra won't do any harm, but might not be worth it.

At the upper end of tech geeks scale then (as Fubar said) antivirus becomes a hassle as they need to be very deeply embedded within the OS to be able to do what they do, and that can cause problems.

Most malware today spreads via social engineering, i.e. exploiting the ignorance of users. Giving Norton some money doesn't make you less ignorant - in fact it might lull you into a false sense of security.

Antivirus software is already bundled into windows (defender) and is highly rated, so there's no point in getting a second one. Just keep on top of updates and you'll be just as secure. 100% security is only achieved by disconnecting the internet connection permanently!

At the upper end of tech geeks scale
...we don't use windows if it can be avoided :p

+1 here for windows 10's own protection.

Win 10 has come a long long way in 6yr and TBH has changed so much though big service updates & patches it could easily been called Windows 12 if it used Mac's update model.

Just heed its advice when it gives a warning as you try to open a file sent by a helpful chinese chap called thommas or edward ect. ect.

Most malware today spreads via social engineering, i.e. exploiting the ignorance of users. Giving Norton some money doesn't make you less ignorant - in fact it might lull you into a false sense of security.
I wouldn't disagree with this and of course phishing scams can be very clever in their methods of exploitation. I'm a longstanding and pretty savvy user so don't rely on Norton as a substitute for common sense and good browser practice plus software housekeeping. And Windows Security may well have come on a long way in recent years. But we can all make mistakes plus it seems there are many people out there who for commercial gain and/or the simple buzz of it are intent on getting into what they should not. So I take a very simple view that it's best to err on the side of caution and take some extra protection which I can easily afford and hasn't caused me any problems. But it's a personal choice and the same goes for the range of protection available on android phones.

I run an IT company and of course we sell Internet Security, ESET & Bitdefender mainly have not sold Norton since 2007.

These days it is far more to do with scams and common sense.

Make sure you use different complex passwords on shopping sites etc connected to your email address and 2 factor auth if possible.

Do not click links in email unless you defiantly know its from a trusted sender.
Do not call when on the screen it tells you that you have a problem with your PC call this number.
Do not let someone you do not know remote into your PC .
Do not take any notice of a caller claiming illegal activity on your router, your ISP will not call you about this. If in doubt hang up and call the company yourself to check.
If your bank calls or emails about fraud on your account, look up the correct number and call them back.

....the list goes on.

Last edited:
On consumer devices, not any more IMHO - Windows Defender is pretty decent ,MFA and education are more important along with a tested backup of anything you don't want to loose.

On a corporate machine, yes, but its a small part of a bigger picture these days.
MFA is the single most important thing, followed by education, and then enforcement etc via Azure CA or Intune or GroupPolicy or whatever you've doing, ideally you really want your A/V solution to tie in with the rest of the stack - we use Defender ATP as it integrates with Intune.
Back in the pre-covid more on-prem days we were looking at InterceptX as it ties in with the Sophos hardware we have at the perimeter, all of which looks a bit old fashioned a year later!

But if you do nothing else get MFA enabled on anything you care about.

Avast free on Windows (or windows 10 has some excellent security stuff built in)
Mac Malware bytes - free version is okay but I paid for the full version as it stopped a couple of nasty things going into my system!

I consider myself pretty computer savvy.
20 years ago I was working with AV companies to test and break their products. I went on to research and published vulnerabilities, with proof of concepts exploits to demonstrate them.
I have taught firms how to create training programs so people can spot phishing attacks.
My windows machine is for testing and research only, my main machine is a Mac.

Windows defender was pretty good the last time I looked at it.

I pay for AV because I see it as insurance for when bad things happen and I appreciate what I get for a paid for service. I have seen some pretty good phishing attacks, had a few successes running them too, folks make mistakes. I don’t want it to be on my watch.

I've used ESET products in the past (generally NOD32) and they were really good but mainly use a Mac these days (except for work but I don't get a choice in the crap that corporate IT want to install) and common sense is the big winner for me :thumbs: However, there are far more knowledgable people than me re: this kind of stuff having already posted in this thread :) I would say avoid Norton and McAfee though, both of them are utter **** resource hogs IMHO.

We use Sophos across our Enterprise estate ~15,000 PC's/Macs/Servers.

I don't know why, but it was probably either the best priced or best rated option when decided upon.

I use BitDefender... Found that AVG was really bad at picking things up, and McCoffee really slowed the machine down...

Back
Top Bottom