What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Another Glorified Shed

James

Site Supporter
Alias
James
Hi all,

I will keep this brief, as people probably know I have been in for another project machine, even though LB isn't done yet, to have three up and running in my literally, glorified shed/summer house... if it is fair to call it that. I managed to pick this up for £400 locally, which including transport put me up to £550, as always I am on a budget at the moment... anyway, it measures 3m x 3.8m and fits in the garden well... my wife is happy, so, so am I.

I went the same way as some others have on here, with the ecogrids followed by shingle, then I have a wooden base, with the summer house on top of it. Budget and time restrictions meant that I have just felted the roof right now, but I have read you can shingle over the top of this, which I will do next year, it is watertight right now, thanks to the recent rain in pointing that out.

As for insulation, it will be fiber glassed internally as it was previously when I took it down, but the roof I am going to use 75mm coldroom insulation, as I can get offcuts from work for free... allowing a slight air gap to the roof, I am considering battoning the floor internally, and doing the same to the floor, it will create a step, but I am sure will add extra heat protection. Thoughts?

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image1.jpeg

Excuse my wife's cutting in... I have asked her to get back out there and sort that out...

are you putting pinballs in that? Will the floor be strong enough?

Only two pins going in, I.E my entire collection. Floor is 28mm board... should be ok... right? Since my shoulder is knackered I haven’t done much more apart from insulation to be honest... awaiting my electrician friend to wire up too.

Only two pins going in, I.E my entire collection. Floor is 28mm board... should be ok... right? Since my shoulder is knackered I haven’t done much more apart from insulation to be honest... awaiting my electrician friend to wire up too.

yes that should be ok but whats it sitting on?

Seven beams of wood, I think 2" x 4" with reinforcing struts screwed in the other way to give it rigidity. I think from memory 4 per beam so every 80cm...

Small amount of hard-core by the looks of it.I might have at least put slabs down,as she'd beams direct on hard-core will rot in what 8 years or so?

Small amount of hard-core by the looks of it.I might have at least put slabs down,as she'd beams direct on hard-core will rot in what 8 years or so?
why will it rot guys??? the 4x2 beams are sat on ecodecks(same as I used) which keep it off the damp earth ????

Thats exactly how I built mine except I put hardcore down before the ecodecks but mine was 7.5m by 4m so a lot more weight

Cheers

kev

Meant 18 or so based on the she'd I have here,tho if his were tanalised,longer.
All wood eventually rots,tho with modern treatments a lot longer nowadays!

If I’m in this house in 18 years and this is my pinroom / Pinshack I won’t be too happy.. I’m going for one more each year and space to put them in :p

why will it rot guys??? the 4x2 beams are sat on ecodecks(same as I used) which keep it off the damp earth ????

Thats exactly how I built mine except I put hardcore down before the ecodecks but mine was 7.5m by 4m so a lot more weight

Cheers

kev
If there is no DPM (damp proof membrane ) between the Joists and floor weather it's stone or flags the moisture will soak into the timber and rot (damp rot) !

If there is no DPM (damp proof membrane ) between the Joists and floor weather it's stone or flags the moisture will soak into the timber and rot (damp rot) !

The ecodecks lift the timbers 2 inches clear of the ground and they are hollow plastic grids so hold no water - it drains straight trough them.

So, been doing a lot less since I had my shoulder issue, but this is now feeling a lot better, the roof has been insulated with high density building polystyrene, I cannot remember the thickness off the top of my head, but it matches the thickness of the beams minus 15mm, which is then boarded over the top, apparently, according to someone at work (we work with refrigeration, so I trust their view on insulation) covering any insulation and allowing a slight air gap, reduces thermal transfer even further... who knew.

I know some of the internal woodwork is a bit ropey, but this has been done on a strict budget and some of the wood whilst good, was given to me and had some bends and where I would have liked bigger panels had to make do with some smaller bits and more of them... Not ideal, but certainly works... I will have a lot of things on the wall to cover those issues up :p.

All internal wiring is behind the wooden beams and the alarm system is in place, skirting on and first run of decorating is complete. I have run the armored cable to the house, and hoping to have power done this week (it is a friend, so as it is free, depends on when he can do).

I have gone for powerline internet to this pinshed, I have used this on an extension lead taking my Sonos in there to do work and have found it to be very reliable actually. I haven't selected a heater just yet... looking for something that will offer frost protect in the winter and give a good output when needed. Does anyone have any recommendations on humidity?

F40EF8B0-2373-493F-BDDD-752C2D955AEF.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi james,

I was told humidity should be 50% or less - I keep my at about 50% and all seems good. I have fitted an oil filled wall mounted 1.5kw radiator and that can pump out lots of heat or just keep at 10c or whatever you want.

Cheers

Kev

I'm pulling my south-facing smallish conservatory heat-box down which is 100deg+ in the summer and -40 in the winter, going full Orangery building with air-con. THEN and only then, will I put machines in it at home. Mind you, planning to build another room which may house pins. A while off yet though...

Will be interesting to see what it takes to keep it at 10 degrees, given the level of insulation it has... I think it is roughly 48m3 internal space.

Will be interesting to see what it takes to keep it at 10 degrees, given the level of insulation it has... I think it is roughly 48m3 internal space.
have a look at the dimplex heating website there is a calculator on there that will tell you your requirements for the size of room

Cheers

kev

The budget pinshed is coming along, I mean this really is as budget as you can get.

Sofa, £25 from Gumtree delivered, lovely jubbly lol. The carpet in there, it needs to be stretched as it is all over the show, but it does for now.

IMG_6436.jpg

Electrician who is wiring it to fuse board is a friend and doing it for free, hoping to be round next Saturday to wire in and move the pins in there.

It’s been a long old day; but even at 10:00 at night the guys wanted to stay for a “mini tournament” won the first round of games then lost comfortably in the second, I’ll blame it on being tired and lazy.

I’m glad I won’t need to bring a pin down or up stairs again.

E21C4DCE-2752-4DED-B080-01DFED6DCB96.jpeg

The alarm couldn’t get done because it needs a fused spur - which my friend will do next weekend. As he said, after we bought the No Fear back down the stairs, if someone can steal the pinball machines without getting caught, fair play to them...

Got a really old HDMI TV I got given out there now, a £5 TV stand from Gumtree, my Pi and a friend has got an Amazon Firestick they got given with a phone contract I can have for those summer nights in the Pinshed watching PAPA TV (I am hooked), or Twitch, watching the usual suspects from on here. WiFi wise I just chose a BT power line adapter, £20 off Amazon I think with damaged packaging. The Wi-fi I get out there seems cracking.

I now know I can only have 2 pins in there... so when No Fear goes, it’ll be for a big upgrade I’m hoping!

90821CE0-CCD0-49AB-8530-41CCB79C3982.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom