What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another earthshaker question

Carl85

Registered
Alias
Carl85
Hey guys. Sorry another issue I have come across. It was all working fine but now the top and left pop bumpers are not working neither is the right sling shot. All switches register but the coils don’t fire. Does anyone have any ideas? I have only visually checked the fuses at the minute. Not sure if those three are linked in anyway. They were all working before I started to clean everything, but only on the top of the play field using novus 2 and wax. Also changed a lot of the inserts to LED’s. I must of done something.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may have knocked a wire of a coil or more . Double check all coils if a wire is off or knocked ,could be touching something ground . Most likely a fuse or Fuses have failed . To check Fuses you have to be pulled off the board and check with your meter ,set to buzz test . Sorry cannot be more specific as I have not had this game .IPDB will most likely have a manual to download so you can check which Fuses needs to be checked !

Don’t think it’s a fuse as you would of lost both slings / must be a wire some where? I’m pretty sure the pops are on the 25v circuit and the slings are on the 50v so not really connected.

Is there power at the coil it self?

That's correct, the jet bumpers are on 25v power and the slingshots on 50v. Bear in mind, Carl, that this is one of Williams final games with 'Special' or direct switching for the jets*. The switch named on the display for a bumper in switch tests isn't the one which energises the solenoid. The switch closed by the bumpers' lower wafer triggers some circuitry to operate the coil, and the program only finds out afterwards from the additional 'scoring' switch, pushed open when at rest by the bumper linkage.

* See correction below. The following game, Black Knight 2000, was the very last Williams game with them, a special final appearance.

Last edited:
That's correct, the jet bumpers are on 25v power and the slingshots on 50v. Bear in mind, Carl, that this is one of Williams final games with 'Special' or direct switching for the jets. The switch named on the display for a bumper in switch tests isn't the one which causes the program to pulse the solenoid. The switch closed by the bumpers' lower wafer triggers some circuitry to operate the coil, and the program only finds out afterwards from the 'scoring' switch.

Nope, williams had ditched the direct coil firing by this point. There is no connection to J18 on earhshaker , whirlwind and bk2000 etc which is what were the direct triggers for the drive circuitry. They are handled in the normal way via the switch matrix, but still driven by the 'special' solenoids transistors.

What the op need to do is have a look at the following manual exerts and trace the power to the coils. Also he can directly test coils by grounding the drive side manually to see if its playfield or board related.

IMG_6281.JPGIMG_6282.JPG

Sorry guys, had a mad few weeks so not had any time to look in to this any further. Starting to have a look at it now. Yeah it’s a strange one as one sling works and one jet bumper works. Can’t see any breaks in the cables at all. What’s the best way to check power at the coil? Like i say all switches work just coils not firing. And if fuse related non would work I would have guessed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom