What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All things Dialed in!

Cheers. For me there doesn't look to be enough extras to warrant an LE over a Standard.
I agree its a grand extra for blue armour, invisiglass , plexiglass backboard, few lights on a a ramp and a headphone socket - I think thats it !!!

quite surprised that shaunboy has lost a grand on his LE already!! but clearly priced to sell quick which I think it will

Cheers

kev

I would say ...
  • Great game
  • Great design
  • Great modes
  • Wonderful shots and combos
  • Some genius design features
  • I love the big bang shot which you can use to complete a mode
  • My phone works fine, but I did not update the software
But, it is all about expectations. My expectations were wrong. I expected to unbox it and have a game that played beautifully. I have spoken to several owners, we have all had very similar experiences with niggles ..
  • Quality control in the factory is simply not what it should be
  • The games need tuning to work properly, hours of it. Adjusting flippers, changing target foam, changing rubbers (standard rubbers give less air balls than so called premium rubbers used in my game), levelling magnet cores, adjusting rollover switches, adjusting the Bob's mechanism, some bulbs hard the wrong wires on, broken Mick on stick yellow plastic, adjusting stand-up targets ...
  • Some stupid decisions were made in production - cheap balls, cheap foam was used for the beer strip and in the poor stand-up targets
  • Air balls everywhere, which drove me mad. Which I have now sorted
  • Clearcoat not dry
Now it is fixed, I love playing it. But the reality seems to be that modern pinball machines are shipped with poor build issues. So if you want a new game, you know what you are getting into
I am amazed at your air ball issue - I have a std and had virtually none!!! so you reckon that is all down to the rubbers ????

Cheers

kev

I think that the premium rubbers and the rubbish target foam accounted for 80 per cent of it. Just replacing the post rubbers that shielded the phone scoop made a huge difference. My game only had a few premium rubbers in it, they all caused problems

Putting slightly smaller and softer post rubbers on the SIM card hole significantly improves the thing. Twilight zone has a dodgy lock arrangement, on some games 50 per cent will get rejected. Paragon has a bad shot to extra ball saucer, maybe 50 per cent of shots fail, even for Bowen. So pinball machines have always had niggles like this. And no amount of work can get rid of all of them

The premium rubbers look nice, but imho just do not work as well on games as the softer originals. In have tried premiums in scared stiff and fathom. I do not get on with them.

The stand-up targets on Dialed in are slightly shorter than Williams ones. My most offensive target was on the right of the theatre. I replaced it with a 30 year old one from the freestyle area of my banzai run !

They are all just minor points, but were enough to give me multiple air balls in a single game. And really disappoint me.

When you buy a used game from a knowledgeable guy, they have sorted all this for you. Or if you buy a used game from an idiot you have to do it all yourself.

I think that my Dialed in seems fundamentally well designed and engineered. JJP is reacting to the faults that owners experience - like the hole protectors, the cover for the left flipper feed from the ramp etc. But JJP lacks the vigorous on site testing that used to happen before mass production started and I think it lacks experienced quality control staff that actually play pinball themselves. Whoever signed my game off simply did not understand the difference between a game that works and a game that plays sweetly. Even my flipper plunger was catching on the autoshooter so you could not get the skill shot.

Whoever signed my game off probably does not even know what a skill shot is. Anyone on here who had plunged the ball half a dozen balls trying to score the skill shot would have spotted this.

I think that the premium rubbers and the rubbish target foam accounted for 80 per cent of it. Just replacing the post rubbers that shielded the phone scoop made a huge difference. My game only had a few premium rubbers in it, they all caused problems

Putting slightly smaller and softer post rubbers on the SIM card hole significantly improves the thing. Twilight zone has a dodgy lock arrangement, on some games 50 per cent will get rejected. Paragon has a bad shot to extra ball saucer, maybe 50 per cent of shots fail, even for Bowen. So pinball machines have always had niggles like this. And no amount of work can get rid of all of them

The premium rubbers look nice, but imho just do not work as well on games as the softer originals. In have tried premiums in scared stiff and fathom. I do not get on with them.

The stand-up targets on Dialed in are slightly shorter than Williams ones. My most offensive target was on the right of the theatre. I replaced it with a 30 year old one from the freestyle area of my banzai run !

They are all just minor points, but were enough to give me multiple air balls in a single game. And really disappoint me.

When you buy a used game from a knowledgeable guy, they have sorted all this for you. Or if you buy a used game from an idiot you have to do it all yourself.

I think that my Dialed in seems fundamentally well designed and engineered. JJP is reacting to the faults that owners experience - like the hole protectors, the cover for the left flipper feed from the ramp etc. But JJP lacks the vigorous on site testing that used to happen before mass production started and I think it lacks experienced quality control staff that actually play pinball themselves. Whoever signed my game off simply did not understand the difference between a game that works and a game that plays sweetly. Even my flipper plunger was catching on the autoshooter so you could not get the skill shot.

Whoever signed my game off probably does not even know what a skill shot is. Anyone on here who had plunged the ball half a dozen balls trying to score the skill shot would have spotted this.
Agree with all you said bud, but I just wonder if my targets are some how different as never had a single air ball off any targets - plenty of STDM off that right hand target next to the theatre though!!!

all sorted now @newdos ? replacement game ok?
Hi Phil,
Yes bud thanks - seems perfect - only got to unbox it last night and do a quick setup and test due to the rather inclement weather here at the moment!!!. It does seem like a lot of the niggles have been sorted out as well - good to see JJ are listening. Lockdown bar and side rails are way better on this machine - not like razor blades on the edge. Still looks like it has the thick cliffys on though - not the new thinner ones that have been mentioned.

Only other weird thing on this one is there is no printing on the back of the backbox at all - the other one had loads and was signed as well ?

Thanks for all your help Phil we got there in the end.

EDIT - trapdoor now reporting errors, bur I suspect it will be the usual issue so will look at it tonight

Cheers

kev

Last edited:
Don't knock it Kev, my DI lockdown bar came in handy the other day when I ran out of Bic's :).
haha!!!! serously if yours is as bad as mine was I think they should be replaced as the 'new' batch are a lot better

Let me know. We adjusted that
Will do Phil - it is coming up on the test report on power up, but snow and drifts stop play last night !!

will let you know once I have a proper gander

Is that knackered backbox really going to TILT ? abstract art I suppose lol !!!

Cheers

kev

So a few months have passed for most day one-ers. How is the game with extended play? Does it deserve all it's hype?

Currently it is my game of choice, above games like SW & GOTG.
More I play it the more I like it.

I’m still on 1.5 code.
Will updating it to 1.52 change much? A couple of the people on the phone don’t talk at the moment, which happened when Iast updated it.

When you get a static image on the phone it means that particular animation just isn't done yet. There are multiple animations for each character, hopefully the rest will be in the next update.

The thing is, they were working on the code before.. it is off and on too, on minute they work the next they don’t :(

Any ideas when the next update will be?

No chatter on Pinside about one.. might email JJP and adk

Are you absolutely sure? I thought that at first, one minute it plays, the next its a static screen but when I asked this very question on pinside it was explained to me that they are different animations. So for example the pizza delivery guy may have 5 different things he can say, but only 2 of them have animations so far, the rest just static as not programmed yet. So it depends which one it tries to play wether you get an animation or not. Maybe earlier versions had less possible outcomes but all were programmed if that makes sense.

The Pizza/EMP mode. Tony says the same thing at the start I thought, one minute it works the next it doesnt.

Same with the Soccer mom/Volcano Node.
Will have to wait for an updat I guess

Just had one of my better games, getting to chaos in quantum city. They really need to tone down the lighting effect during that wizard mode, I'm not photosensitive but I would image it would cause anyone who is to instantly have a hard reset and collapse on the floor.

Just had one of my better games, getting to chaos in quantum city. They really need to tone down the lighting effect during that wizard mode, I'm not photosensitive but I would image it would cause anyone who is to instantly have a hard reset and collapse on the floor.
haha!!!! like it kevlar

Just having half an hour break !
This DI does rock @the tilt in Birmingham ,it's the first time I have played it :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom