What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFM sound crackles - any solutions

Shaven Wookiee

Registered
Hello,

I've recently picked up an AFM which has crackly sound. Has anyone encountered this before and know of a solution? Cheers!

Andy

Shaven Wookiee' date=' post: 1677297 said:
Hello,

I've recently picked up an AFM which has crackly sound. Has anyone encountered this before and know of a solution? Cheers!

Andy

Checked the connections at speakers ? Loose, damaged etc ?

Might be worth reseating sound chips and connectors on the sound board.

Start with that I reckon.

Had a similar problem with my totan. On the wpc-95 audio/visual board there are two small capacitors (iircc, c40 and c41). I was advised by the bible that be marvins pinrepair site to remove these caps if my game had crackly sound. It totally solved the issue i was having with my totan at the time, so i thought i would mention it.

I would obviously try the other things mentioned by Grizz first.

It's to do with the amp. Mines the same. The higher you put the volume you'll find it stops crackling. Amps too powerful and thrives at higher volume. Plus the game "mars needs women's" has a natural crackle due to the monitors in the background on static!

Thanks for the suggestion gaz - no joy for me, it as just a louder crackle. I have since found the following - it's not been any use for me (still not working) but might work for somebody else who has the same problem.

Problem: Sound was static noise, and then nothing.

Answer: Changed prism cards from my other one and it works fine.

Check to see if the game passes the POST for the sound section (it'll flag it in the error report if not). If it does pass, the DSP chip is probably Ok and look onwards from there for other faults. It's likely a very simple fix - either a simple little opamp or a bad connection. If no error report, then the DSP chip is likely okay, so suspect something in the output. Unfortunately, there also isn't anything *between* the DSP and the output connector, so it may be the DSP chip after all. (Jonathan Deitch)

When swapping RFM to SWE1 the sound might no longer work and you might see the message U109 error! This is no hardware defect but a Star Wars problem. You need the latest SWE1 sound software to be loaded and the the sound works fine again.

Problem: Static comes on all three speakers during attract mode, particularly when there was no background sound and white text was displayed.

Answer: There is "crosstalk" on the cable group between the PRISM board and the amplifier board. This cable group is several cables, which are tied together with nylon tie wraps. Cut and discard the nylon tie wraps (separating the cables), and the static problem should go away.

If the static is still present, changed the 04-12621 audio amplifier board. The audio amp is a small board inside the backbox's computer box, which connects to the PRISM card. Sometimes the old amp, when failing, can cranking out way too much volume even at the lowest settings.

Check and re-route the speaker wires in the backbox if you can... It runs right by all the flourescent stuff down the Right hand side (as you stand at the back).... That'll cause interference to start with!...

Thanks for the suggestion Paul, I wasn't 100% which to disconnect, so disconnected/reconnected any I could see. I turned it back on and the crackle had gone - had 3 or 4 games (love it!) but when I returned later for some more it had started again. Replacement connector leads perhaps?

Back
Top Bottom