What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFM Left Speaker interference?

Replay

Site Supporter
Been meaning to try and sort this for ages as it was bottom of the list!

Basically there is a crackling like sound or interference out of left speaker. Not normal as compared to other games.

Seems worse in multiball for some reason.

Tried different speaker and new cabinet speaker.

I know very little about WPC95 sound boards but no cracked solder joints and very clean, except for back.

Capacitors reflowed?

And a resistor reflowed? Top right in photo is the white resistor.

Just no idea where to go from here.

Thanks

IMG_5077.jpgIMG_5076.jpg

If they aren’t already, cut out C47 and C51. Don’t replace them.

Looked this up, thanks.

So, even though my game is 1.13, I think it is also running 1.0 sound.

Guessing these are 2 separate chips? 1.13 and 1.0.

Does anyone in UK sell the 1.1 AFM Sound chip?

I presume I need one.

'In early A/V boards, C47 and C51 were stuffed from the factory. In later boards, they were not installed. They were determined to make the audio scratchy in some games. I just clip these out as force of habit. No game needs them.
Congo, AFM, TOTAN, Safecracker and Scared Stiff had an upgraded sound ROM released for it that fixed a buzzing problem at power up. If you have one of those games, and your sound ROM reports version 1.0, you should install the 1.1 sound ROM. If you need one, let me know, I can prepare one and ship it out.'

So, I changed sound rom from 1.0 to 1.1 ( thanks Paul :thumbs: )

And snipped C47 and C51 ( thanks Andy :thumbs: )

And seems like most of the background noise has gone and it also sounds like there is more depth in the sound:)

Wasn't expecting such a good result!

Back
Top Bottom