What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sold AFM Attack From Mars - £7k totally rebuilt - NEW PICS ADDED

Monkeyboypaul

Site Supporter
Alias
Paul G
With much regret and great sadness I'm putting my totally rebuilt Attack From Mars up for sale.
It really is a no-expense-spared restore, almost a Trigger's Broom, with a few customisations thrown in too.

IMG_4328.JPG

The admittedly high price is less than the money i've spent and does not include time which runs in the hundreds of hours over 3 long years, with some help from various forum members (paid in kitkats and Peroni).

Brand new Playfield - protected from new so it has never seen a ball on the main surface.
Mirco Playfield.jpg

IMG_4245.JPG

I'm selling because we have a number of opportunities approaching, all requiring some cash, and AFM is my most expensive game. Plus kids put a stop to fiddling with games, leaving intermittent & irregular windows of opportunity for quick play only. I won't find another like this, nor the time to do anything like it :(

IMG_4917.JPG

The rebuild process took about 3yrs, on and off, and was documented here:
http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/attack-from-mars-in-yorkshire.6709/

IMG_4336.JPG

Sadly i've toyed with letting AFM go a few times before, and had listed it on Pinball Owners last week (mainly because it simply required me changing a basic drop down option on the website, which was easy) in the hope no one would buy it! Annoyingly i've already had 2 offers, but both only(!) £6.5k, so I turned them down.

I know it means a lot to me, in terms of time spent, money spent and generally a really good timeless theme that i love.

IMG_4915.JPG

Video in attract mode (noting the LED OCD smoothing of the insert lighting effects, every insert can be a controlled in brightness and custom fade in/out effect):

My current thinking is; if PPS/CGC release an AFMr, and let's face it - it's a certainty now & a real testament to the 21yr old design, then i just can't see it being super 'cheap' in a world filled with very expensive new games - PPS are not a charity to begin with, and they are obviously keen to maximise their return on the Bally/Williams intellectual property they acquired a while back, plus the USD>GBP exchange rate is too poor to give us any kind of reprieve over here in the UK. Not to mention the unknowns (at least in my head) around serviceability or reliability of the design/parts used in years to come. Plus it'll be basic factory stock! Saying that, my AFM's backbox is totally nuts, filled with loads of cables & boards!

You could probably find a 'nice' original AFM in the <£5.5k price range on here or eBay in the next 6months as other restored & ex-Pinball Heaven machines do show up from time to time. Note the one on Ebay for £7.2k is more expensive and not as loaded with extras as this.

You pays your money you takes your choice.

Info:
  1. New cab decals bought from Australia.
  2. Cab redecalled by Darren (Replicas).
  3. All cabinet metal work powder coated black: Legs, rails, lockdown, (new) VUK & Coindoor.
  4. New Mirco playfield (2 older pf's are now wall art).
  5. Red mirror blades.
  6. UFO pinball mods - Saucers & Expansion.
  7. ColorDMD (i could take this out & put an original DMD from Congo in to save £250)
  8. Makrolon Playfield protector fitted, so the playfield has never actually seen a ball!
  9. New green targets x7.
  10. New supposedly limited edition red ramps from Australia, and i went a bit further but getting the crappier blue metal flaps removed and adding pinbits steel flaps instead (special thanks to @Paul)
  11. Pinbits strobe bulb.
  12. New diverter gates from Australia.
  13. Loads of new nuts/screws/bolts.
  14. New Green mothership plastic.
  15. GOSMOD mothership board, green & red effects.
  16. New higher spec capacitors on the Power Driver Board.
  17. New PinLED CPU board (got the original repaired for minor battery damage since).
  18. ALL new plastics and clear plastics.
  19. Fluorescent plastics from Freddy's pinball paradise, and some squiggles from Pinbits.
  20. Transparent acrylic playfield backboard cityscape thing (still needs to be lit with some LED strips from comet)
  21. 90% Comet insert LEDs, 90% comet Op-Max for GI and mainly Comet flashers.
  22. LED OCD board (can't have LEDs without one of these boards - it's WRONG).
  23. Tumbled all metal bits that were reused.
  24. Brand new pop bumpers (with green caps, not as per factory). I have new red ones too.
  25. Upgraded Flipper Fidelity backbox and cab speakers.
  26. Pinbits shaker motor.
  27. Flashing eye martians - not installed. Can't be ****d fitting them now.
  28. New SOL scoop and Mothership metal.
  29. New mothership spring mounting mech & crash solenoid.
  30. New Flipper plates, coils & mechs.
  31. Mostly new freshly burned 1.13B roms from Paul.
  32. Re-covered some but not all of the coil sleeves. I have lots of spare labels though!
  33. New "improved design" ball trough, old one is kicking about somewhere still.
  34. Strobe board caps replaced.
  35. Translucent Green buttons installed, but not lit up yet.
  36. Button wear protectors fitted.
  37. Backbox head bolts & front leg bolts are now red, just because.
  38. Clear or white rubbers all round, plus Super Bands.
  39. New AFM ramp & shooter lane metal from Cliffy
  40. And of course, 4 new balls.
And probably loads of extras i've forgotten now, but 40 points looks good, stop there.

I'll add more photos later, but there's a few on here already: http://www.pinballowners.com/monkeyboypaul

Game is currently set-up and playable, stored in a purpose-built garden office which is dry and kept at about 20deg. I highly recommend coming to have a look & play if you're interested.

Notes:
Note the faint 'damp patches' which you can just see near the flippers on the playfield are the playfield protector overlay touching the surface clearcoat. No matter how hard you clean or dry it, they still seem to reappear, a bit like the type you get on some translite glasses. There may be a way around this, but i've not given it the time recently.
The game is fitted with those Stern cabinet corner decal protectors, and felt pads too, but I've noticed a slight 1mm x 6-7mm crease near the left front leg. I hadn't noticed this until recently - pic included, where the black and yellow meet.

IMG_4842.JPG
IMG_4843.JPG

I am open to trade offers plus cash, just PM me. Please don't be offended if i turn your offer down though. Games i'd like include Metallica LE/Prem, X-MEN LE Magneto, GB PREM/LE and maybe some others.

And finally, this game looks awesome in a line-up!
IMG_4715.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4329.JPG
    IMG_4329.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4910.JPG
    IMG_4910.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4332.JPG
    IMG_4332.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4333.JPG
    IMG_4333.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4911.JPG
    IMG_4911.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4916.JPG
    IMG_4916.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4912.JPG
    IMG_4912.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Phroooorrrr look at that!! Errrm. Sorry, I was searching for 'your mum' and ended up here! Good luck with the sale that's one sexy machine and given the current prices for NIB these days I think you're totally justified in your pricing. I have the sexy TZ you seek but not the additional + 3k or I'd be all over this, so good luck, someone is going to get a fantastic pin I hope you can cope parting with it....

You will not find a purtier AFM than this one. I had the honour of being in its presence for a few weeks earlier this year.

I have a feeling I'm going to end up regretting not buying this off you in the future.
It's a stunner, I have also seen in person and it's the nicest one you'll find.
I don't think I could part with it if I had put the time in you have!

Say it's an AFMr SLE, or CE it will sell for more than you're asking :cuckoo:;)

A lovely looking machine, hadn't found Freddy's website before, loving the coloured plastic protectors.... must get some for my AFM and other machines

Man, its sooooo nice. Sadly i can't afford it right now either. :( Unless you want to swap it for a load of cool stuff of equal value?

Say it's an AFMr SLE, or CE it will sell for more than you're asking :cuckoo:;)

A lovely looking machine, hadn't found Freddy's website before, loving the coloured plastic protectors.... must get some for my AFM and other machines

Good thinking!
Now £25,000 including 2 limited* edition random things:
IMG_4364.JPG
IMG_4366.JPG

But that price is invite only, sorry!

Freddie's mirror blades are good too - especially the STLE.

*limit to however many they made, which could be millions for all I know. Just give me your money.

Man, its sooooo nice. Sadly i can't afford it right now either. :( Unless you want to swap it for a load of cool stuff of equal value?
Like 7,000 £1 coins? I could be tempted ;)

As I said above; I could be tempted by trades with cash my way. No harm in asking.

Good thinking!
Now £25,000 including 2 limited* edition random things:
View attachment 38593 View attachment 38594

But that price is invite only, sorry!

Freddie's mirror blades are good too - especially the STLE.

*limit to however many they made, which could be millions for all I know. Just give me your money.
I want that cow saucer lamp! How much? How much?

I bet you'll be having a tug of war with the buyer when he's trying to take it out the door. The pin with you clinging on behind it.
Done an excellent job with it.... superb it is.
One lucky buyer I'd say.

My guess is 'soon to be overpriced in a dealer near you'

Congrats and commiserations on the sale

Back
Top Bottom