What's new

AFM and MB Value ?

DRD

Registered
I saw that some AFMs had recently traded on eBay for about 4.6k and 4.2k. This looked a bit weak by recent standards

The MBs don't seem to be selling on here.

Is this just the "remake effect" hitting specific games ? Wisdom was that MM had held up well despite the MMR effect ?

Or are prices falling at the top end of the wpc market?

If 4 MM or MMR suddenly popped up the price would drop . Now might be a great time to pick up AFM or MB as they are top titles . The AFM that sold for £4200 looked the best value top title in a long time. It's my favorite modern game and currently top of the pinside 100 but selling lower than TAF

Or are prices falling at the top end of the wpc market?
Think it's just the remake effect.

I feel for people who are trying to sell either of them now. It's like the elephant in the room. That's why I was a bit surprised when @Kelauce's thread got trashed.. anyone in the know will know about MBr and you'd like to think anyone spending £7500 would certainly do some due diligence. It was an unnecessary comment which just wrecks a sale.

Ah well.

Anyway, roll on TAFR :)

Think it's a sign that the market is starting to hit saturation point and higher priced games will be harder to shift.

Look at JJP games. Hobbit LE is 6k, Dialled In LE 7k max.

AFM, MM, MB will always be classics and mint originals should always go for more, but right now the remakes have flooded the market so prices all over the place.

2019 will be interesting.

5 Deeproot games, Octoberfest, Munsters, Beatles, another Stern, Toy Story or Will Wonka, second Scott Danesi game, and probably a few more haven't remembered or are unknown!

You could extend this to Mm. Not sure where it is with price now. Bought mine for 6k. Could i sell it back for that much now as they are so many newer titles in that price bracket?

It’s all about supply and we are at saturation point in my view together will a drain on disposable income - will only get worse as inflation is well up and the BIE puts up interest rates to cope - also doesn’t help that prices on NIB now so high that more enthusiasts looking at the nearly new - buyers market. Whilst the exchange rate doesn’t help there on stern games atleast I believe the UK is being fleeced by the distributor or by stern (electrocoin) - prices compared to Europe show this.

On the remakes I think the other development is that more people have played the remakes than when MMR came out - lots more AFMR around than there was MMR when it came out and people have more of the reality to make a choice and the value from the remakes with the big screen etc is clear to see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Also a lot of relatively new or nearly pins around. All the new sterns Jjp and new mint restorations.

Feels like there has been a bit of a slow down in sales over the last 12 months for the top titles

Equally I think people are finding it hard to shift on new machines without taking a big hit

How much would an Aerosmith go for? I’d like one but would struggle to justify spending 5k plus on one.

Remakes must be having a knock on effect on originals. Originals may always be more sort after but any increase in supply must have an impact

Not sure we’ll see prices fall in the near future but hopefully they will stop increasing

Unless a pool of new buyers comes in (foreigners taking advantage of the low £, or wealthy uk noobs) I reckon that the top end wpc games will take a hit.

EBay prices were usually higher than pinballinfo ones. Wider pool of buyers. Seller had to pay away commission. We have seen the fish tales and hs2 titles become 2k games on eBay. So 2x afm at 4.2k to 4.6k recently confirms what I have feared for a while ...
  • Top end games are slow to sell. There are very few buyers for these. I had virtually no interest in my dialed in le for weeks and weeks. Not even low ball offers. Complete radio silence on here and gumtree. This contrasted vividly with the flash gordon and earthshaker I sold that went in minutes.
  • The TV backbox titles are a game changer. Rightly or wrongly. Folk who wanted the best used to buy a top end wpc game. Now there are these TV games which will have much wider appeal than a 25 year old title
  • There has been a rapid growth in the number of top end games out there. MB, AFM, MM had it to themselves for 20 odd years. They now compete with the remakes, and the TV based Stern and JJP games. Excess supply, same demand suggests prices will go down

I would love to own an attack from Mars in the future, but looking around now there are all these perfect showroom examples, whereas I'm more of a used condition but everything still works kinda guy with budget to match.

I tend to agree with all comments on this it has been very slow since spring and most comments are spot on as Sven said people like him who have probably have had most Bally and wms titles have little interest to him so is looking at nib pins as a noobie is looking at more affordable classics pins I think yes used pin prices may be coming down more the higher end stuff but it’s all relevant pin to pin and maybe it’s a good thing to be made more affordable
Nib pin sales have also been slow since spring but seem to be picking up now stern have been pumping out cracking titles so far this year that everyone loves but they are not flying out the door be interesting to see what the end of the year bring with potc due and mb r
As replay said 2019 is going to be even more interesting with all the deaproot games munsters plus other sterns inc Beatles get saving up if you fancy one of those 2 spooky games maybe another American Pinball title and Charlie and the chocolate factory by jjp it’s looking like a very expensive and exiting 2019

Buying pinballs has always been a bit like 'pass the parcel ' game.

People generally try and 'get what it owes them' when they sell, so delivery etc gets added on, etc etc. Another reason why prices have risen every year for the last decade.

What happens when the music stops?

I now try to only buy games I will keep at least a year or two , get tons of play/enjoyment and then it doesn't matter if they dropped as it's just the cost of a fun hobby.

I used to swop games around like a crazy person:cuckoo: Can't do that so much anymore!

Been watching closely for a while. Like a hawk, eyeing up its prey...... I suspect there's many like me, waiting , watching, hoping, for that right moment to strike. Haha.

Its hard for me mentally to pay a high price for something i paid a third of years ago. I know its how the market has gone, but its a huge mental barrier when looking about.

So, in short, years ago, i'd buy many a machine on a whim. Now? Its like i'm trying to get all my ducks in a row, for the ultimate payoff of total enjoyment. Maybe i just need to give myself a slap and dive in?

What my machines "owe me" is the purchase price... so delivery, mods (apart from probably colourDMD but I will offer out with and without pricing as is standard), maintenance etc cannot be included.

Obviously it would be nice to get that back - but it is going to always be tough unless you have a really rare game. I overpaid on my TWD - but got a good deal on SS (although have completely stripped that and added loads, so is probably all in is at market now) - as always, what the depreciation is, is in the fun you have had. If i sold either now at £200 under what they owe me, I would be happy in that depreciation. I will probably have to take that hit on TWD, but may make it back on SS. Ultimately it is about being realistic. The best way was the SFII that was reduced weekly until it hit equilibrium and a sale was made.

I have noticed a lot of AFMs on eBay that are scammers.

You have to take every example of a game on its good and bad points. But also factoring in what you paid for it and what you have done with it.

The AFMs on ebay have been pretty average for £4K. By the time you chuck in a new PF, ramps, coils, colordmd, decalling, TIME/EFFORT you are at the price of a used remake or a previously restored original.

I have noticed a lot of AFMs on eBay that are scammers.

You have to take every example of a game on its good and bad points. But also factoring in what you paid for it and what you have done with it.

The AFMs on ebay have been pretty average for £4K. By the time you chuck in a new PF, ramps, coils, colordmd, decalling, TIME/EFFORT you are at the price of a used remake or a previously restored original.

After your last 'scammer' cry, i wouldn't at all be surprised if it's you buying them up. :rofl:

The sooner people stop expecting to get back what they paid, the better. Just because you paid a certain price doesn't make it the price. It is a hobby after all.

Imagine if newish pins were like cars and had registered keepers. Would you want a pin that had 10 owners. The local slapper haha

The sooner people stop expecting to get back what they paid, the better. Just because you paid a certain price doesn't make it the price. It is a hobby after all.

Imagine if newish pins were like cars and had registered keepers. Would you want a pin that had 10 owners. The local slapper haha

I dont know - I try to get back at least what I paid and if I have done major work I like to get the money back on that (ie add a colour display etc).

For general things like re-rubbering, plastics, coils, sleeves etc I think those are like parts on a car like tyres, clutches and brake pads - general parts that are liable to wear.

We are also probably getting a bit off topic.

Back
Top Bottom