What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aerobatics start up problem

Thanks for the reply

I have now worked out how to remove it and found rust to be the problem. After much cleaning up it seems to work most of the time. Thanks for the tip that it may be a 'S10' type which it appears to be.

I found this you tube on the subject.

I guess I could swap it out for a version that accepts current currency? I guess you can get them for the modern 10p, 20p of £1 depending on how mean I feel!

I think my sound problem is to do with the sound control pot. As it sometimes comes to life if I give it a twirl.

Good progress, that machine of yours does look a tad rusty in places and certainly those pots get scratchy and corroded inside. Easy replacement job could give it a squirt of switch cleaner in the meantime.

Did you suss the light top left of the backbox, per my idea below?
I've never seen that! The below maybe, try toggling the Extra Play Unit RE on/off to check. (or check it's Yellow/Violet-Yellow wiring).

I have given it a squirt of electrical cleaner but will leave it until the morning until I turn it on.

You are right the machine is very rusty. It has been in a shed for over 35 years! My friend was going to dump it and I agreed to try and get it working again so he gave it to me on the basis he could come over and play it again.

I have shot blasted and repainted the legs as the chrome was so bad and remade part of the front panel as it was very damaged.

today Oct 2018 001.JPG

I also painted the back panel as it was in poor shape.
Oct 2018 013.JPG

With regard to the light in the top left of the score box. I still have not figured out what they do. There are 10 of them and they appear all to light up if I jumper across them.

I think they are the Match Unit lights as there are 10 of them on the wiring diagram. I have no idea what the match unit does for me.. adds a ball or replay at the end of the game perhaps? But not sure why?

They don't seem to do anything for me yet but that may be I don't score enough yet!

The back of the score unit looks like this.

Oct 2018 012.JPG

However as I was uploading this photo I note the wire colours match those on the LH score reel. Do they give you an extra ball if the last number matches?

Is this what this jumper is for? Extra ball or replay?Oct 2018 015.JPG

The wire colours appear to be
1) Yellow - Black
2) White - Black
3) White - Blue
4) Orange - White
5) White
6) White - Black?
7) Multi colour
8) Black - Yellow
9) orange - red?
10) Yellow - Violet

I have not found them on the wiring diagram yet.

I feel I am nearly there. However I am still annoyed with the ball eject problem on ball 1 as it is intermittent so something is not happy all the time.

The match lights are at B5, the relay logic is hard to see as it's on the page break (of online version) at D8. In both cases it shows a jumper to set Add-a-Ball/Replay/None for Match. In some places back in the day Replays=Gambling was illegal hence the option to turn them off or award extra (added) balls. Perhaps post some clear photos of all the settings and labels to work though them and match the schematic.

Btw, machine looking really good, nice garage find:thumbs:

I still do not understand what the top lights do for me

So here are some pictures of the wiring diagram B5 and D8

Any thoughts?
Oct 2018 more 001.JPG

Oct 2018 more 002.JPG

Oct 2018 more 003.JPG

Oct 2018 more 004.JPG

I have a few loose wires here. I guess their to adjust replays according to the sheet on the side of the machine.

Oct 2018 more 006.JPG

Oct 2018 more 012.JPG

Here is the add a ball or replay jones plug?

Oct 2018 more 007.JPG

The ball eject is still very random on start up. This is most annoying as whilst I can reset it by tilting the machine by opening the door. I am not happy with this for the kids as there is 240V within hands reach when the door is open.

The ball eject switch seems open and closes well with the ball in the return hole. Also B4 appear fine on the score motor but it is difficult to check and see what was happening. very annoying as it is an intermittent fault.

I have had a bit of a chance to play the machine this evening!

I have either got lucky or improved as I have cleared 3,000,000 for the first time! Only 800,000 to get a genuine replay!

Sorry I know it is rubbish as people are clearing 8,000,000 on these machines. But you have got to start somewhere.

Inspired by my newest high score. I have done a bit of research on how to play the game.

Here are my tips gleaned from the net.

Can you add anything further?

Aerobatics Instructions and Top Tips
Instruction’s for aerobatics
— loop the loop feature
left hand spinning target changes loop the loop lights for bonus
ball. advance letter, x 10 bonus value, and flashing bumper features.
these are scored when the ball enters the left hole.
— top hole feature
right hand spinning target and green target change top hole lights.
top hole scores feature indicated by lit light.
— drop target feature
knocking down all three drop targets advance a-b-c-d-e. when a
letter is flashing knocking all three targets down scores 1 replay.
— special button rollovers
when the special button rollovers are flashing the ball passing
through them gives a bonus ball.
— bonus scores
are advanced by right hand spinning target, yellow target and bottom
inside rollovers, ball leaving playfield scores bonus score or 10
times the bonus score if the x 10 bonus is lit.
— the pop bumpers and the right hand spinning target score 10.000
points when flashing.
— matching last number gives 1 replay.
Tips
Which item in the “loop the loop” feature is lit [that’s the top left of the machine] is key here. If extra balls are on and “bonus ball” is the lit loop feature, any time you have the ball on the right flipper, shoot the left saucer right away. Similarly, if the loop is lit for 10X bonus, take that saucer shot.
Other than that, it’s a mostly UTAD game. From the left flipper, shoot the right spinner, and try to get 10X bonus at the top saucer. From the right flipper, if the “loop the loop” feature is not currently on “10X Bonus,” shoot loop the loop to try to light it.
In general, shooting up top from the left flipper is better than shooting the loop from the right, so if you have the option to transfer between flippers, get the ball on the left one unless it’s time to shoot the left saucer. Once your bonus is maxed at 100K and the 10X multiplier is lit, shoot the red drop targets for 100K each.
Ignore the two standup targets on the center right.
When the ball goes down either side outlane, try to bounce it up off the white mini posts back onto one of the rails leading to the flippers. This happens fairly often.
Shoot left spinner until light stops on Bonus Value X 10. Shoot left saucer to collect. You now have potential for 1,000,000 in bonus!
Top hole will award lit value, which is changed by right spinner. Top hole also turns on bumpers for 10K / hit.
Right spinner, yellow targets, and inlanes add to bonus.
Shooting the left spinner changes lit value for loop features, collect lit value at left saucer. 10X bonus is very valuable.
Master Your Flippers
Since they are your main tool for influencing where the pinball goes, it’s obviously very important to build your flipper technique. Unless you’re in a multiball scenario, you never want to double-flip (use both flippers at the same time). Additionally, PAPA.org‘s pinball guide cautions against machine-gun-flipping, when you hit both flipper buttons in a panic.
Both of these actions put the ball more at risk, since the non-flipping flipper should be used defensively in case the ball takes an unexpected bounce. That way, you can at least try to recover.
Similarly, realize that every time you flip the ball, you are necessarily putting the ball at risk. PAPA.org’s player’s guide recommends that players have a goal in mind for every single flip, whether it’s hitting a specific ramp or target, or whether it’s bringing the ball back under control. Keep in mind, the closer the ball is to the base of the flipper, the closer the ball will go to the center of the table, and vice versa.
Additionally, there are a whole bunch of specific flipper techniques that players can take advantage of to bring their skills to the next level. And PAPA.org has a video pinball guide series explaining them, to boot!
The Dead Bounce
A technique where, in order to control the pinball, the player actively decides not to use the flippers and instead lets the ball rebound gently off of them while they are at rest.
The Post Pass
A technique by which a player can pass the ball to the other side of the table. This is done by lightly tapping the flipper when the ball is at its base, causing the ball to bounce off of a post and to the other side.
The Drop Catch
A control technique. When a ball is out of control, a player can slow it down by releasing the flipper button right as the ball contacts it.
The Live Catch
The opposite of a drop catch, a live catch involves engaging the flipper just after the ball touches the flipper in order to bring it under control. This is an advanced technique.
There are many other flipper techniques to learn, but these are some of the more basic ones. Once you’ve mastered these, you should be able to both control the ball and consistently aim at targets.
https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/aerobatics/scores

There are ten at the top of the back box. I only ever get the top left to light

They are defo the match lights, which must match the 100's score reel value (as 1s and 10s reels are passive) to award a Replay. Hence that light (which I thought was a "blob"!) actually reads 000 then 100, 200 etc. The match unit steps driven by the 1000 point relay, but the match award is to the separate 100s reel to provide the "randomness" (see 13G on schematic "No. Match Unit" below). Find the "No. Match Unit" and see if it steps up when the 1000 relay pulls and the reel steps - that machine is well labelled, I think it is the unit to the left of the score reels as viewed from the back. I'm assuming the match light is currently stuck on 000 but only lights (correctly) at the end of a game?

1540278103119.png

I thought this machine was adaptable between Replay version and Add-A-Ball but I learn not. If you look on ipdb there are pictures of the Add-A-Ball model, most noticeably the Replay unit is missing. Yours has this so is the Replay version there is a label just inside the cabinet too. The schematic we're working from is labelled MOD REPLAY. This being the case try starting with all jumpers to Replay settings.

1540278597481.png

It looks like a jumper socket is missing here but this is only on the AAB model. You are correct these are to set the score threshold values. the score card indicates at least two thresholds awarding a Replay, the one here was set at 5.4mil and 6.8mil on a factory printed apron card.

1540278847331.png

I defo agree you don't want kids (or anybody) having to fiddle inside the door with the game live. Keep fixing what is obviously wrong and playing the machine (to self clean switches), things are related and may stabilise itself.

Setting the score thresholds looks fun! Here's how I think you interpret it and set for example the factory 5.4 and 6.8 mil using Violet and Grey wires. Your biggest challenge will be recognising the faded wire colours - a spray of IPA (Isopropol Alcohol) may help clean them up.

1540280631387.png

Yes you are right they are the match lights. I had not noticed until tonight that that they change in design to show the mach number. Nice!

1540328056096.png 200, 400 and 700. At first glance they look the same but in a different position.

My match unit looks like this

Oct 2018 more 2 009.JPG

Mine does not seem to do anything yet. However if I toggle the coil then it will easily move round. As it moves round all the lights come on so it is doing its bit. The coil has a resistance of 9 ohms which I guess is about right. The coil is fed from a black wire and a black and yellow wire as you can see under the coil. I need to find what actives the coil.

However I have no more time tonight to chase these through.

Thank you for the advice on the other replay related things. I will have a better look a these tomorrow when I have got more than 5 mins

Attachments

• Oct 2018 more 2 008.JPG
    Oct 2018 more 2 008.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 7
We have been having great fun with this machine over Christmas but still having intermittent problems with the ball eject. I am sure the ball hole switch is fine so it must be the switch on the score motor however I can't seem to see anything wrong unless I am looking at the wrong one?

Also the specials light ABCDE seem to be set on Band D according to the wiring underneath play field. However what do they do for you?

Also the second light up from the bottom '' Bonus score value X10'' does not seem to come on or award any score multiple. What is this linked to.

The special light on the right hand side also does not come on so there is no special on the RHS of the game.

Any thoughts welcome.

Back
Top Bottom