What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice on Cleaning my 1st Pinball & a couple of questions

JAG555

Site Supporter
Hello,

Following on from my Wanted Post, I have picked up my 1st pinball machine, a Gottlieb Street Fighter II. The machine is in fairly good condition (a few bumps, but nothing major) and more importantly is fully working. After looking a bit more closely today, I can see that the playing field is quite grubby and could do with a really good clean. It has a Mylar coating on the playing field. I have had a Google around for the best cleaning method, but I have to say the information was contradictory and confusing. Therefore, could someone on here point me to the right direction for a cleaning guide?

Also, I have a few questions:
  1. Should I remove the Mylar and re-apply a new coating during a deep clean?
  2. The speakers on my back box appear to look different (I will get a picture tomorrow), I.e. Different diameter centres. I assume this is not correct (can some Gottlieb owners help)? Can you buy new replacements easily?
  3. There is a slight hum when the pinball is on, before playing (sounds like noise feedback), but I cannot hear it when the game is playing. Any idea what this can be and if I can eliminate it?
  4. Is there a good source for Gottlibe parts? I have seen a few, but I was after a recommendation.
  5. The legs have some surface rust. Can these be easily re-chromed?
Sorry for all the questions, but I am new to this and I am keen to learn / listen to experience.

All help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Hi.

Firstly, I would suggest that you take 5 with this. Make sure that this is a game you really want to keep before putting time and money into it. I have bought some games and lost interest in them pretty quickly.

Then do things in small steps.

I can't help on gottlieb specific queries. But if they are chrome legs - try solvol autosol on them. If they are really rusty, a buffing wheel on an electric drill might do the job.

Don't even think about stripping off the mylar unless you want a world of pain.

Gottlieb System 3's buzz. They all do that.

I spent most of a day attempting to restore a set of Gottlieb legs using the coke and tinfoil method. It does work to an extent but it is a hell of a job and the results aren't amazing. I ended up binning them and buying a new set from Germany for about £90 which was worth every penny.

i know a bit about Gottlieb pins soooo imo

don't remove mylar as the moment
clean with novus one and two available from @Pinball heaven and pinball mania
pinball resource sell loads parts but cab pita to order from plus potential import fees
pinball mania do buy from them if there is specifically a sf2 part ya need, some European sellers like bestofpinball have Gottlieb specific stuff
re legs I would do basic clean and ensure levellers move, if not replace them or loosen them off with wd or similar
sys 3 speakers in backbox are different sizes, one smaller than other, ensure mains cable ain't near the looms where possible, also ensure buzz aint transformer humming

Mist importantly clear space next to pin well as one pin inevitably leads to a second purchase!

Many thanks all for taking the time to reply and the advice.

I think I will take it easy to begin with and learn the table etc. It plays quite nice, but my OCD for cleaning it up a bit is kicking in a bit!

I also collect arcade machines, so I know how addictive it can get! Don't tell my wife, but I am already thinking about my next one!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom