What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Addams Family kick starter for Pinball Arcade

Good news, hopefully playing it in TPA will make me like the real machine because so far I've yet to see what all the fuss is about.

Kickstarter, **** em! They are a commercial business. One of the key aspects of a business is risk vs reward. I've bought their first three table packs, OK games but not exactly a bargain. Will probably buy a future one but why do people think that customers should fund their business ventures and underwrite the risk?

Think I might be in a bad mood this morning but established businesses using kickstarter gets my goat, as much as anything else if you are using other people's money there is massive overspending as there is little incentive to keep costs down. Would you be happy to send money to Tesco in advance so they can buy their stock in?

Kickstarter, **** em! They are a commercial business. One of the key aspects of a business is risk vs reward. I've bought their first three table packs, OK games but not exactly a bargain. Will probably buy a future one but why do people think that customers should fund their business ventures and underwrite the risk?
Think I might be in a bad mood this morning but established businesses using kickstarter gets my goat, as much as anything else if you are using other people's money there is massive overspending as there is little incentive to keep costs down. Would you be happy to send money to Tesco in advance so they can buy their stock in?

Totally agree with you John. Farsight are making money hand over fist from TPA but are still not prepared to put any of it up to move their business forward....absolute f*cking joke! All it shows is that they don't give a **** about their customers as they continually ask them to front the risk of new things at their company. Crowd funding shoudn't be used for this!

Couldn't agree more

Wow, I'm surprised at the anger at this. I boycotted this software a long time ago.

How much are they going to go for this time 100$K?

Have to agree with the others on this. I deleted the app in the end as I felt I was being shafted each time they released a new table. Could reinstall at any time and play the tables I 'own' but I can't see me ever giving them any more cash. I just think their business model is a bit of a ****take quite frankly.

Agree with the comments. They're carrying on like some sort of public service who also make good money (sound familiar?). Still think it will be popular with the masses though.

I'll probably just buy this the normal way since it's guaranteed to get funded and the KS extras are just a boring custom ball.

Their explanation for why they have to Kickstart expensive licenses seems reasonable to me though. Where's the risk? If it doesn't get backed you're not charged, and they know what the license costs - the KS is only for that, not the work creating the digital table.

My only frustration with these guys is that I've got lots of tables on iPad gradually over time but they took so long adding it to PC that it now costs a fortune to get all the tables again in one go.

Irony alert!
Irony alert!

People discussing business practices when they don't want their own discussed.

There are a lot of rubbish money-grabbing Kickstarters or people using it more like marketing, but it's also effectively resurrected many video game genres that major publishers are too hesitant/stupid to touch like space and adventure games. I know Carmageddon: Resurrection and Elite: Dangerous were trying for years to get publisher money and constantly turned down because major publishers are very risk averse.

You've also got a lot of great niche board and video games that wouldn't exist without KS funding because the small teams can't afford up-front printing costs or 6-12 months of unpaid game development.

Now that's not to say Farsight aren't taking the **** here - maybe they can afford the license fee out of their own pockets, maybe they can't. It's their choice, and the market decides if it deserves funding - after that I'm simply grateful I can play all these great machines without buying them all (even if the ball physics are very basic compared to the real thing).

I'm just making the point that a few campaigns that deserve criticism doesn't mean that every project on Kickstarter is being greedy.

Good point.

T'is a shame that the ones who need it to provide such niche products will ultimately be tarred with the same brush in regards to online 'begging'.

I know Carmageddon: Resurrection and Elite: Dangerous were trying for years to get publisher money and constantly turned down

I can't remember how much Elite was to buy but nearly choked/spat tea at price. This is a bit different in a way.

Fair enough for these two company's were trying to start out making games again with no publisher but with Farshyne they've been reeling in money for badly emulated tables for a long time now on pretty much every mobile device, console, pc/mac. They've got more than enough to front for any license themselves by now.

T2 was disgusting I felt robbed giving them money up front for that.

I will continue to buy all of TPA's released tables but I'm buggered if I'm gonna contribute to their kickstarter. It's a nonsense I agree. An established business does not need a kick start.

I have bought and will probably continue to buy each table they bring out (iphone/iPad)

If they at least gave some sort of incentive to back them I would be more sympathetic , I mean if you give them $10 now you get a copy of the table when it comes out on one device of your choice, or wait and get it at the same time as the backers for $3..... Hmm

Or give them $25 and they will give you a copy of the game on two devices and a custom ball. Or again wait and get it for $6, all be it without the customized ball.

Ok maybe a customized ball might be an attraction for some but to me it's just showing your a mug that paid well over the odds to get the same table.

Give backers a t-shirt or even the table a month ahead of joe public! something other than two fingers

I funded the Tz licence but wish I hadent as getting it to be listed in my tables i own is a pita every time they release a new table. I enjoy pinball arcade so will just buy the table if and when it gets made.
Dirty pool old man

Man, I wish I could get away with video pinball. To me, its just nowhere near as fun to play.

It does offer a nice perusal of possible future machine purchases but I suck terribly at it. Might give myself a slap and have a try at it again.

Man, I wish I could get away with video pinball. To me, its just nowhere near as fun to play.

It does offer a nice perusal of possible future machine purchases but I suck terribly at it. Might give myself a slap and have a try at it again.

Haha, how can you suck at TPA? You can even get a replay with eyes closed, I've tried it.

Yep, I helped fund TZ via Kickstarter and believe it was a sham and I was mugged. We effectively helped reduce the overall cost for other people, not help a company get off the ground or make a game get to production. Then every update for ages, the game would get lost so I couldn't even play the game I paid a lot more money to fund.
To now be suggesting another crowd funding project a few years later just seems wrong. Their business model either works or it doesn't, if they can't see a profit in selling it then be honest with people or sell it for a more realistic price.
I stopped buying the tables as it was so annoying how tables I had paid for would disappear, I give people a few chances and software is not perfect but I think their QA is appalling.

Haha, how can you suck at TPA? You can even get a replay with eyes closed, I've tried it.

Its like there's this invisible force that makes my eyes wobble at a speed only my tumbler has seen, and it makes me unable to time my shots or do anything other than shout at the screen. :)

I give people a few chances and software is not perfect but I think their QA is appalling.

So much like EA anytime new game comes out. Just one of them things where it doesn't really matter to them, people still going to buy it.

Its like there's this invisible force that makes my eyes wobble at a speed only my tumbler has seen, and it makes me unable to time my shots or do anything other than shout at the screen. :)

Probably would benefit from some games of eyes closed then...;0

They've got more than enough to front for any license themselves by now.

You'd think. It's just Kickstarter being used for marketing now IMO. I backed Star Trek TNG but won't be bothering on this - it'll get backed regardless and cost less for non backers in no time.

I think the CEO of Farsight - the company that makes TPA - should chip in about $80,000. In my opinion this is an abuse of kickstarter as this is already a successful and profitable company that is just too tight to pay its own expenses, and is playing on the generous nature of the pin community to maximise their own profits.

Agreed, if only he would.

I don't mind giving to charity, even with their executive management on high salaries, because there business aim is to raise money for charity. Raising money to lighten the risk for commercial shareholders, that seems wrong.

Looking at their table release page (http://www.pinballarcade.com/TablePacks/) you can see season 1&2 were mostly pairs of tables in 'table packs', but season 3 was single tables only. Now season 4 teases us which means season 3 is over and we'll have to pay again for the next table (HS2?).

Even though I don't agree I'll probably still buy season pack 4, because I'm a sucker & love it. It's also the only other game I've paid for on the iPad, next to PvZ.

Back
Top Bottom