80's Fruit Machines

Martywolfman

Jun 2, 2018
Bedford
I am not seeking to diss fruity buyers ... I just don't understand the appeal. Owning a fruity, playing with your own money ?

What is it all about ?

Which are the most desirable ones ? What are prices doing?

Do owners actually play them ? For very long ?
I have long thought this. As someone who enjoys occasionally sticking a few squids in a bandit, the whole enjoyment of them is the chance to actually win a bit of money.

Sgt GrizZ

Staff member
Jul 21, 2011
40 clicks North of Saigon (or Brighton beach )
I have long thought this. As someone who enjoys occasionally sticking a few squids in a bandit, the whole enjoyment of them is the chance to actually win a bit of money.
They have never been for me though I have known friends who would play them a lot in pubs back in the day.

I can see the appeal. You still have that feeling of 'winning' or 'beating' the machine.

I bet (see what I did there) it's still a real thrill to get a good run going on it, maxing stuff out. And of course the flip side of the coin ( doing it again) to not winning money, is you don't lose any money :thumbs:

Arv

Jul 21, 2011
I used to enjoy playing them in my college days, topping up my grant. I wouldn't play any these days they are awfull and just eat money unless you know the "emptiers".

J.C.Rox

Apr 11, 2015
Athelstaneford
They have never been for me though I have known friends who would play them a lot in pubs back in the day.

I can see the appeal. You still have that feeling of 'winning' or 'beating' the machine.

I bet (see what I did there) it's still a real thrill to get a good run going on it, maxing stuff out. And of course the flip side of the coin ( doing it again) to not winning money, is you don't lose any money :thumbs:
My feelings exactly, I just got jackpot on IJ , £8 of my own money but I was thrilled and the satisfying clunk clunk as it pays out in 20p tokens is brill. And just like the old days you can pay for beers with them at the bar!

#disclaimer - bar must be huo!

Reactions: Sgt GrizZ and Paul

Paul

Staff member
Oct 5, 2012
Birmingham/Bristol
www.pinballinfo.com
I have always had Fruities alongside pins... However i prefer the smaller and more unusual machines.

I may have a few one armed bandits in varing states of repair up for sale soon... however still always looking for the smaller and more unusual machines... :D

Reactions: Bandit Boy

ChrisH

Dec 5, 2014
Stroud
Always quite fancied a one-armed bandit - they look brilliant, and I remember playing the later ones on the ferry on the way to France when I was a kid (probably illegally thinking about it!) trying to double my francs although as I recall I actually spent most of the winnings in the NeoGeo MVS's that P&O used to have on the boats (which have given me a life time love of League Bowling, and the isometric rally game whose name escapes me at he moment)
But they always go for more money than I could justify spending on what would probably end up as an ornament after the first week when the novelty wore off.....

Replay

Jul 21, 2011

Not even this one?

Reactions: Sgt GrizZ

Replay

Jul 21, 2011
I remember an 80's fruit machine - you could gamble a cherry 40p, all the way to £60.

Found it!

What would one of these cost? Easy to find?

Reactions: Bandit Boy

ChrisH

Dec 5, 2014
Stroud
Neo Drift Out?

LEEEEEEAAAAAGUE BOWLING !!!!
That's the one - was about to fireup the MAME cab and remind myself of the name
Still play LEEEEEEAAAAAGUE BOWLING a lot - one of those it's not deep or complex in any way, but 'OK, just one more go' kind of games

Chris

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2011
I remember an 80's fruit machine - you could gamble a cherry 40p, all the way to £60.

Found it!

What would one of these cost? Easy to find?

Search Facebook marketplace for fruit machines. I am sure there is one of them listed at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Replay

DRD

Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2014
Newark
Around 1990 to 1993 there was a playing card based fruity in my student union bar that I quite enjoyed. 10p a spin with £100 cash jackpot.

But back then the regular pubs had absolute crap in them. Stuff like the pink panther or monopoly which were 20p a spin, £4.80 max win - and that was in tokens.

insx

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2014
Essex
I would love to play the 2p machines like Golden Shot or Cash Smash that I remember from the arcades for the nostalgia trip. I can't help thinking that owning them would be pretty boring though.