What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

74ls02 N or P?

deathrow

Registered
Hey all,

Quick question:
(I have checked data sheets and I’m still no wiser)

What’s the difference between 74ls02n and 74ls02p? I gather each/either can be used for same function?

Thank you

The n and the p at the end effectively denote their polarity, so a 74ls02n works in the opposite way to a 74ls0p. That means that one would produce a current flow when the other blocked a current flow, and vice verce. So you can't swap a 74ls02n for a 74ls02p - if you do then unspecified bad things will happen, and the pinball gods will be angered.

But in many cases you could swap one type of p transistor with a "bigger" p transistor, or one type of n transistor with a "bigger" n one, because the bigger ones would work in the same way (only bigger).

Hope that helps.

I think you’re barking up the wrong tree there. The n and p suffixes for 74 series devices denote the package type. I think n is plastic and p is ceramic. Functionally identical so no problem interchanging.

I think you’re barking up the wrong tree there. The n and p suffixes for 74 series devices denote the package type. I think n is plastic and p is ceramic. Functionally identical so no problem interchanging.

Phew! Awesome news! Bought many many chips lol. I struggled to see any difference in schematics etc.

The ls is low power ? Ok to use either?

Sorry @deathrow, for some reason I thought we were talking about transistors here. Didn't realise sn7402n is a logic gate but was a bit confused when you mentioned schematics which should have made me pay more attention. Ignore what I said above. Gonna delete it in case it confuses anyone reading this.

Back
Top Bottom