What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6.3v Comets

Gonzo

Registered
Alias
Kris
Just installed one of Jim's mod power boards.

I want to run a few comet led bulbs. They are rated at 6.3v.

Is it okay to run them off the 12v feed rather than the 5v?

Thanks in advance

20200206_162214.jpg

Surely you’ll damage them all by doubling the required voltage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Run any new 6.3v ac bulbs off the existing GI strings, that way they're also controlled like the GI is during gameplay (I’m not sure what your games do, except I know STTNG dims the 3 blue shields). You can see the different GI strings in test mode - one string might be ‘always on’ in the game code, which you could use if that’s what you want. Or turn off GI dimming entirely.

The 5v and 12v dc supplies are for devices that need those voltages, usually mods like
colorDMD, speaker lights and other stuff. And if mods are bought they should come with appropriate connectors.

This mod saves you using up the PowerDriverBoard’s limited connectors - a bit like using a 4gang mains extension lead.

B4953143-C2A7-4A7D-984C-1DA20E3D9C5C.jpeg

dimmed LEDs in the GI will flicker like hell, but that’s another topic...

Last edited:
Technically Comet bulbs are AC/DC so will work with both voltage types (only on one direction with DC)

12v will make them pop quickly though, it’s far too high voltage.

Technically Comet bulbs are AC/DC so will work with both voltage types (only on one direction with DC)

12v will make them pop quickly though, it’s far too high voltage.

Thanks mate, do you think its's better on the GI though or am I fine leaving it on the 5v?

Are you just wanting to add more lights to the game? If so, just connect to to existing GI.

Stuff plugged into Jim’s Mod Power Board will come on and stay on for as long as your machine is turned on. It will illuminate them before the rest of the lighting. This is almost certainly not what you want from an aesthetics point of view.

You’ll be slightly undervolting the bulbs too, so they won’t be as bright as they could be.

Last edited:
Are you just wanting to add more lights to the game? If so, just connect to to existing GI.

Stuff plugged into Jim’sMod Power Bowles will come on and stay on for as long as your machine is turned on. It will illuminate them before the rest of the lighting. This is almost certainly not what you want from an aesthetics point of view.

You’ll be slightly undervolting the bulbs too, so they won’t be as bright as they could be.

Explained perfectly in terms that I understand. Thanks mate.

I have basically purchased a load of this comet matrix system which appeals because it's neat & tidy as well as requiring no soldering. I just want to add extra lighting because the playfield is bloody dark.

https://www.cometpinball.com/collections/matrix

I just believed it to be advantageous to lessen the load on the machine hence not putting more lights on the GI. Someone mentioned that pinballs were already under a lot of strain.

I've plugged the new ColorDMD into Jim's board as well as a mod that came with the game. I'm also in the process of replacing everything with Comets.

If you’re replacing the bulbs with LEDs throughout then the GI circuitry will be under a fraction of the load that it was originally rated for, so there’s no worries there.

As said earlier things like speaker light kits and anything else that either wants 12v/5v and would usually be plugged into the Power Board to get it is a good candidate for sticking on the mod board, like you’ve discovered with ColorDMD :)

If your replacing the bulbs with LEDs throughout then the GI circuitry will be under a fraction of the load that it was originally rated for, so there’s no worries there.

As said earlier things like speaker light kits and anything else that either wants 12v/5v and would usually be plugged into the Power Board to get it is a good candidate for sticking on the mod board, like you’ve discovered with ColorDMD :)

Thanks for that mate, really helpful.

I'll pop the matrix on the GI 👍

I actually re-soldered a loose light socket back onto a circuit board today. . . . and it bloody worked!!

Back
Top Bottom