What's new

#555 bulb types

Cryptkeeper

Registered
Alias
RingSting
I seem to have ended up with some different wattage bulbs in the back box of my white water.
Most are dim and a few are bright.
Its definitely not bright enough .

Should I be using the same ones in the inserts as well as the backbox?
And what ones should I get?

Thanks!

If you go for LED replacements you can get clear and frosted regular LEDs which makes a difference on brightness and also "ultra-bright" ones (usually 4 LEDs on the one mount rather than a single one).

If you want more brightness and aren't averse to LEDs I'd probably try out a few of the the ultra bright ones.

Hi,

WhiteWater used the same '555' wedge-base bulbs for lamps on the playfield and the white backbox 'insert' panel, but a different (14v) type, #194, for the 'waterfall' effect topper. Maybe the 14v & 6.5v lamps have got mixed up, or someone's used 12v auto bulbs; a colleague of mine didn't realise about the different lamps, and used 555 lamps for the topper; they burned out very quickly.

Yea I knew about the 14v ones.I was thinking that they might be mixed up myself.
Im split on leds but what your saying is all #555s should be the same wattage etc?
Im going to order a load
Thanks

I seem to have ended up with some different wattage bulbs in the back box of my white water.
Most are dim and a few are bright.
Its definitely not bright enough .

Should I be using the same ones in the inserts as well as the backbox?
And what ones should I get?

Thanks!

You've probably got some fruit machine bulbs (12v) mixed in there, I keep finding them in machines I buy. You'd think the operators would notice that they barely light up, but they can probably only be bothered buying one type of bulb so buy the fruit machine ones instead of the pinball ones

what you're saying is all #555s should be the same wattage etc?

Thanks

Yes, #555 is specified as 6.5v, 250 mA. That's just over 1.6W. There are plenty of other voltage/current lamps using the same 'T 10' glass envelope, though, up to the 12v, 5W filament commonly used as an automotive side lamp or number plate lamp.

Last edited:
You've probably got some fruit machine bulbs (12v) mixed in there, I keep finding them in machines I buy. You'd think the operators would notice that they barely light up, but they can probably only be bothered buying one type of bulb so buy the fruit machine ones instead of the pinball ones

I used to get through whole cards (100) of the 12v lamps on fruit machines, especially after the manufacturers started programming an extra-bright 'flashbulb' routine into them (like a Williams s/state game, the lamps were arranged in a matrix, with the supply voltage for the lamps 2 - 3 times the proper voltage of the lamps).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom