What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4k blu-ray recommendations (is it worth it?) and 4k TV's in general; what do you reckon?

Den - aka Wolfgang

Site Supporter
Afternoon.....

So after handing on to my 3D 1080p TV for years (I actually enjoy 3D films he he), I've finally gone 4k and got a new TV (LG OLED)

I've really cut down over the years on buying films (do miss the days of walking around HMV picking out 5 for £20 dvds or whatever it was - if I see a HMV now, I resist and don't go in..) , but now I'm thinking of getting a few films to see what 4k is all about. I picked up Logan, Jaws, The Joker and TDK trilogy, but have only watched Logan so far (hadn't seen it since the cinema years ago)

I could really tell much difference between a regular Blue ray and watching in 4k, apart from some of the colours looked pretty impressive (some of the lighting like lamps or candles had a nice glow ); that'll be the HDR I guess, which is cool, but can anyone really tell much difference other than noticing a little more detail?
My TV is only 48" (my other half wasn't keen on anything bigger, but we sit fairly close to the screen anyway)

Gaming wise (the main reason I wanted to upgrade as have a PS5 and Series X now), I haven't had much time to see if I can notice the difference - have only tried Dirt 5 and Gran Turismo Sport (both PS4 games really, but Dirt 5 has more of a PS5 upgrade rather than just higher FR); as with 4k BR, all I've noticed so far is nicer colours as a result of HDR. (Haven't tried any 120Hz modes yet, but I'd prefer 4K @ 60 rather than lower rez/adaptive res). Haven't tried the Variable refresh rate yet either, although that sounds promising for smoothing out some frame drops

What does everyone think of 4k overall?; a big leap?; Which games or films should I try out on my new TV to really see the difference?
Also, I'm a bit of a sucker for decent special features when I buy films, such as long docs (I know Dawn of the Dead, one of my fav films has great docs, but I already own two versions of that on BR and DVD and so am questioning if I should buy the 4k version - probably will!..) . so any recommendations there would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Den

One of my favourite things for 4k is upscaled band footage. There's a 4k GnR Nightrain on YouTube that I love, a lot of LZ stuff and a fair bit of Iron Maiden or Rush - all free!
As far as movies go, directors like Villeneuve, Scott, Nolan and that cohort that film movies with the idea of IMAX screens will always look great on a big 4k screen. Out of those I'd say Villeneuve's are probably the most suited to 4k, but you'd have a good time with any of them depending on what genres you like. I personally really enjoyed Dune this year, and Blade Runner 2049 (irrespective of what you think of the film itself which I enjoyed) is an experience in 4k.

4K is great, providing youve got the set up to use it properly. anything smaller than a 65"tv probably a waste of time. Also if only using stereo audio then nothing to gain there either.

switching from 1080 content to 4k in a dedicated room with a 4k projector (100" screen) with a Dolby Atmos audio setup and the difference is very noticeable but for normal living room viewing cant see a huge amount of point.
you dont get atmos audio mix on blueray either.

streaming 4k on netflix is horrible due to the amount they compress so thats a waste of money. (netflix US much better they dont compress as much)
any exclusive netflix content better to download it from a US netflix copy.

4K is great, providing youve got the set up to use it properly
100% ! Especially Dolby Vision and HDR10
A friend of mine bought the same TV after seeing mine and said his looked pretty crap in comparison.
Don't use the default settings, calibrate, calibrate and calibrate again.

4K is great, providing youve got the set up to use it properly. anything smaller than a 65"tv probably a waste of time. Also if only using stereo audio then nothing to gain there either.

switching from 1080 content to 4k in a dedicated room with a 4k projector (100" screen) with a Dolby Atmos audio setup and the difference is very noticeable but for normal living room viewing cant see a huge amount of point.

streaming 4k on netflix is horrible due to the amount they compress so thats a waste of money. (netflix US much better they dont compress as much)
I've been pretty happy with Netflix, however some of the shows on prime video lately look aweful ( examples Reacher and Upload ). I'm not sure what's going with their compression, other stuff looks fantastic ( man in the high castle and the expanse for example ).

I've got an LG OLED and I'm convinced it looks and sounds better streaming HDR 4K content, normally piping Dolby Atmos through some pretty **** but still better than built in speakers.

It's a nice to have luxury for sure though.
I'll still happily watch 1080p content without it bothering me.

One of my favourite things for 4k is upscaled band footage. There's a 4k GnR Nightrain on YouTube that I love, a lot of LZ stuff and a fair bit of Iron Maiden or Rush - all free!
As far as movies go, directors like Villeneuve, Scott, Nolan and that cohort that film movies with the idea of IMAX screens will always look great on a big 4k screen. Out of those I'd say Villeneuve's are probably the most suited to 4k, but you'd have a good time with any of them depending on what genres you like. I personally really enjoyed Dune this year, and Blade Runner 2049 (irrespective of what you think of the film itself which I enjoyed) is an experience in 4k.
Good call on the band footage; I'll have to take a look later!
I actually have Bladerunner 2049 4k, as a while back I got the cool steelbook which came with the 3D BR too - Really enjoyed that film and Dune too (although I came away from the cinema a little underwhelmed; think my expectations were too high). Looking forward to watch BR2049 in 4k though.
Big Nolan fan, although finished watching TENET and honestly can't say what I thought of it (need to re-watch it when I'm not falling aleep half way through..)
I generally love Ridley Scott films (and Tony - maybe to get 4K True Romance), but have gone right off him since I didn't like Alien Covenant (huge Alien(s) fan) and i was annoyed that he blocked Niel Blonkamp from making an Aliens sequel. Also, I think the Alien blu rays look fantastic as they are, so won't be re buying those.

I wouldn't go as far as a waste of time, especially for gaming, but yeah it does seem like the bigger the better TV size wise with 4k - your set up sounds awesome:)
I'm not worried about Netflix 4k (certainly not paying extra for it) - 1080p is fine for me and internet speed/service is always going to affect streaming I reckon - out of curiosity I might try Netflix U.S though using a VPN to see what it's like.

A friend of mine bought the same TV after seeing mine and said his looked pretty crap in comparison.
My TV has Dolby Vision and HDR 10; haven't spent any time calibrating the TV at all yet though; sods law it turned up on a Sunday evening!

My TV has Dolby Vision and HDR 10; haven't spent any time calibrating the TV at all yet though; sods law it turned up on a Sunday night!

@Den - aka Wolfgang I have also got a 4k Screen, 49" TV, PS5 & a 4k surround AMP.

I think as others have said, may see a difference on a bigger TV. I've noticed it's slightly crisper at 4k, and playing the astrobot game on PS5 you see less aliasing when it brings up the detailed Playstation Control/Accessories models, but otherwise, hardly anything to choose between them.
So I saw a little difference with games. 1080p Blu-Ray's look great anyway, I don't think I'll personally bother with 4k Blu-ray's any time soon, but pleased normal blu-rays have come down alot in price and they are still better quality than streaming compression.

Good call on the band footage; I'll have to take a look later!
I actually have Bladerunner 2049 4k, as a while back I got the cool steelbook which came with the 3D BR too - Really enjoyed that film and Dune too (although I came away from the cinema a little underwhelmed; think my expectations were too high). Looking forward to watch BR2049 in 4k though.
Big Nolan fan, although finished watching TENET and honestly can't say what I thought of it (need to re-watch it when I'm not falling aleep half way through..)
I generally love Ridley Scott films (and Tony - maybe to get 4K True Romance), but have gone right off him since I didn't like Alien Covenant (huge Alien(s) fan) and i was annoyed that he blocked Niel Blonkamp from making an Aliens sequel. Also, I think the Alien blu rays look fantastic as they are, so won't be re buying those.
Easiest way to find them is search the "Band live" and filter to 4k. There's some brilliant LZ stuff there and since I'm much too young to have seen them live it's a nice window into what could've been! Just do yourself a favour and skip most of 1977. Also don't bother with the 8/11/79 Knebworth - Page is visibly drooling on his guitar during Achilles Last Stand he's that high / drunk.
I tend to find the directors that get fussy about filming on film or doing things practically come out with some of the best looking 4k movies.

Last edited:
Love me little movie room (converted a spare bedroom). With a big screen theres a huge difference between 1080 and 4k. (picture and audio)

Am gradualy upgrading me fave films with 4k discs, although allot of it i download nowdays and just shove on a large NAS server.

After messing about with HTPC's for years finally got fed up of the constant config issues and tweaking and just bought an Nvidia shield, plays all the downloaded 4k content great without any issues.

Attachments

• 20220407_203706.jpg
    20220407_203706.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220407_203810.jpg
    20220407_203810.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 28
Crikey lee i need to up my game :), beautiful setup.

Me spare moneys been going on pinball machines lately so no more love for the movie room for now.
running a TW9200 with M&K all round and Anthem for the Audio, for the size of me room i cant really justify upgrading any more.
Am only using a fraction of what the audio will pump out as is.

Might get tempted with a projector upgrade at some point though. The newer laser models sound tempting.

Last edited:
Iv got a 4k set up in the house which I do watch films on occasionally but I don't think it's as big a jump as I hoped for, in my games room I've still got a 60" pioneer kuro plasma and a Toshiba hddvd player with a 7.1 surround system and I'm still blown away how good they still are all these years later hddvd in my opinion is as good if not better than blu Ray.

Iv got a 4k set up in the house which I do watch films on occasionally but I don't think it's as big a jump as I hoped for, in my games room I've still got a 60" pioneer kuro plasma and a Toshiba hddvd player with a 7.1 surround system and I'm still blown away how good they still are all these years later hddvd in my opinion is as good if not better than blu Ray.
Agree re; HDDVD's ; I still have one which was sold to me on the cheap a while back, as it's multi region and the dvd upscale to 1080 is really good (I have a u.s twilight zone box set and the b&w picture upscaled looks great)

I think blue ray and hd dvd are basically the same quality wise, however to my eyes hddvd looks richer for some reason; I remember watching The Matrix trilogy on hddvd then later on blueray and I swear the hddvds looked much better (may have been using a different TV though)

So dissapinted that Matrix 4 was terrible (IMHO)- has totally put me off rewatching the original trilogy. I kind of know how star wars fans felt after the release of some of the lesser films (I'm also a SW fan, but didn't affect me as much, as I just accepted that I'm not Disney's target market)

Built mine in 2004 on the cheap, draped the room in tv/film blackout curtains to deaden the sound and no reflections. All second hand except the upscaler, subs and screen. The Barco 808s came from Brands Hatch on the cheap as I think they were about £14k new (£750). Cinema seats came from Stoke ABC cinema x12.

Was amazing and the kids loved it but grown up now, they used to watch Mortal Kombat and I could here them jumping about fighting acting out the film. The room is in the top of my garage and I used to stand below laughing my head off. That room used to bounce anyway with the 2 Servo 15 subs😂

Love my 65” OLED but never use the 4k blu-ray player but when I did found picture quality varies a lot. Sky or stream, still use the subs/speakers in the house.

Now a junk room and nothing like Lee’s amazing room unfortunately but has some good memory’s😎

Attachments

• 4E09C9D9-7DB6-4CD0-BA29-08D4CD38B1E2.jpeg
    4E09C9D9-7DB6-4CD0-BA29-08D4CD38B1E2.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 55AAA2AF-EB64-4A3E-9729-A1AF1004EF22.png
    55AAA2AF-EB64-4A3E-9729-A1AF1004EF22.png
    321.3 KB · Views: 22
As has already been mentioned, with a 48" screen you're not likely to see much improvement with 4k resolution-wise. The HDR will have more of an impact.

Info on viewing distances.

Also, as has been mentioned, whatever display you are using (HD, UHD, projector etc..), the single most important thing to improve the picture is to calibrate your display. Get a proper calibration disk such as the Spears and Munsell one, put aside a couple of hours to work through it all properly, and you can be confident you are getting the best out of your display. So many people spend thousands on new TVs/projectors, then leave them on default settings, or maybe tweak the saturation/contrast a little. I've also heard some people baulk at the cost of the calibration disk (in this case £40 or £20 used) and then ask them exactly how much they have just spent on the TV! It's almost like buying a new photographic lens for over £1k, and leaving a clear plastic protector on the front (not that they come with one, but you get the point).

In terms of games, I'd suggest trying Gran Turismo 7 on the PS5. I think it's also £10 cheaper if you buy the disk from Amazon rather than download from the Playstation Store. I noticed a slight improvement over GT Sport on the PS4 Pro, but I'm still only on 1080p (and I'm using the PS4 version of GT7 which has PS4 Pro improvements, not the optimised PS5 version, which is meant to be even better).

IMG_4683.JPG

The TV behind the projector screen is a 55 inch Panasonic VT plasma, and our normal seating is a sofa just behind where the "driving seat" is in the picture. For watching films, we exclusively use the projector though and at a viewing distance of 9-10 feet it's still impossible to discern individual pixels at 1080p on an equivalent 120 inch display. Regarding 3D, I'm in total agreement with you there - I really like 3D stuff. 👍

Sound-wise, anything will be an improvement over the built-in speakers, although I'm not a big fan of soundbars, unless that's all you have space for. We've been running a 5.1 setup for 20 years with decent amplification and speakers with a REL sub, and having listened to a good Atmos setup in a hifi shop demo room, it didn't sound much (if any) improvement over a good 5.1.

Although we often stream Netflix and Prime, I still buy bluray disks (in preference to downloading electronic copies of films), as I prefer to actually have the disks, but over the last few years, if I want a particular film (apart from the very latest releases), a good source is to look on eBay for used disks on auctions, rather than buy it now. Put in several bids on different auctions for the same film using a sniper site such as gixen.com, and you can often pick up a bluray for just a couple of pounds. I've bought several hundred this way, and never had any issues with them playing ok - especially if you give them a clean with a cloth and some isopropyl alcohol (always wipe them radially rather than in a circular motion) - same goes for CDs.

Last edited:
I love 4k Blu Rays. Not all are built equal though and the benefit will only be felt if you have the right TV. They're not a leap like DVD to Blu Ray was perhaps but they are still super impressive when they're good.

Here's my current collection (top shelf and a bit of the second shelf down)
PXL_20220411_100214692.jpg

Is there an idiots guide to calibrating hdtvs pls ?

Perhaps an 80-20 solution that does not cost loads/ take ages

Interested in giving it a go

Reassued that I am not the only weirdo luddite that buys used discs on eBay in the face of the streaming options.

As has already been mentioned, with a 48" screen you're not likely to see much improvement with 4k resolution-wise. The HDR will have more of an impact.

Info on viewing distances.

Also, as has been mentioned, whatever display you are using (HD, UHD, projector etc..), the single most important thing to improve the picture is to calibrate your display. Get a proper calibration disk such as the Spears and Munsell one, put aside a couple of hours to work through it all properly, and you can be confident you are getting the best out of your display. So many people spend thousands on new TVs/projectors, then leave them on default settings, or maybe tweak the saturation/contrast a little. I've also heard some people baulk at the cost of the calibration disk (in this case £40 or £20 used) and then ask them exactly how much they have just spent on the TV! It's almost like buying a new photographic lens for over £1k, and leaving a clear plastic protector on the front (not that they come with one, but you get the point).

In terms of games, I'd suggest trying Gran Turismo 7 on the PS5. I think it's also £10 cheaper if you buy the disk from Amazon rather than download from the Playstation Store. I noticed a slight improvement over GT Sport on the PS4 Pro, but I'm still only on 1080p (and I'm using the PS4 version of GT7 which has PS4 Pro improvements, not the optimised PS5 version, which is meant to be even better).

View attachment 166407

The TV behind the projector screen is a 55 inch Panasonic VT plasma, and our normal seating is a sofa just behind where the "driving seat" is in the picture. For watching films, we exclusively use the projector though and at a viewing distance of 9-10 feet it's still impossible to discern individual pixels at 1080p on an equivalent 120 inch display. Regarding 3D, I'm in total agreement with you there - I really like 3D stuff. 👍

Sound-wise, anything will be an improvement over the built-in speakers, although I'm not a big fan of soundbars, unless that's all you have space for. We've been running a 5.1 setup for 20 years with decent amplification and speakers with a REL sub, and having listened to a good Atmos setup in a hifi shop demo room, it didn't sound much (if any) improvement over a good 5.1.

Although we often stream Netflix and Prime, I still buy bluray disks (in preference to downloading electronic copies of films), as I prefer to actually have the disks, but over the last few years, if I want a particular film (apart from the very latest releases), a good source is to look on eBay for used disks on auctions, rather than buy it now. Put in several bids on different auctions for the same film using a sniper site such as gixen.com, and you can often pick up a bluray for just a couple of pounds. I've bought several hundred this way, and never had any issues with them playing ok - especially if you give them a clean with a cloth and some isopropyl alcohol (always wipe them radially rather than in a circular motion) - same goes for CDs.
All good advice; cheers!

Is there an idiots guide to calibrating hdtvs pls ?

Perhaps an 80-20 solution that does not cost loads/ take ages

Interested in giving it a go
Try this link for some further info.

Although it's still a good idea to get the calibration disk I linked to above, and it's not that onerous to work through it - after all, it doesn't take that long and you only need to do it once (or maybe once a year just to check, but it'll be quick to work through it a second time).

Last edited:
New Star Trek TMP has just been remaster to 4K HDR with Dolby vision and its pretty epic its out here later this year.

Back
Top Bottom