What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"24 Flip" at Flip Out Croydon 29th Sep

PipelineTom

Registered
24 Flip is a tournament for 24 players, taking place on Saturday 29th September, 2018 at Flip Out London. Cost of entry is £25 for non-members and £20 for members of Flip Out London.

Competition will be limited to 24 players and the event kicks off at 2 PM. We end the continuous play at 7pm and announce the winner. Doors to the facility open at midday. Registration should be done at least 30 min before competition starts, i.e. 1.30pm

We are going to try a new way to make this competition both challenging and intense. It will basically be heads up games without any formal breaks. To read about the details for this competition see this Webpage
We will have basic food (hot dogs, sweets etc.) and drinks available but feel free to bring food that can be heated up in our microwave.
50% of the registration fee will be given away as prize money. We will also give trophies to the best 3 players.
Registration is now open - Click HERE - Good Luck!

It would be great if we could get 24 players in this. This is the same format as David Dodds' "Flippin' Frenzy" last week and there were only 17 people at that and the winner got 10 WPPR despite the machines being set on 4 ball. Hopefully we'll get through a lot of games and push those WPPRs up.

EDIT: Currently there are 11 spots left for registration.

This is Wayne John's explanation of the rules and format.

http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/flippin-frenzy.39877/

A simpler version of the rules:

· Both players record their result on their own score sheet, signed by their opponent.
· Player 1 becomes Player 2 for the next game.
· Player 2 returns to the front desk and places their scoresheet at the back of the queue, and returns the machine card.
· Player at front of queue takes machine card and goes and plays the game as Player 1.

This will grade out to 100% TGP with 5hrs play - guaranteed. Everyone will play well over 20 games, probably 30.

Everyone who was at David's place agreed it was a really good format.
Almost constant play, with virtually no waiting around.

I can't wait!

Hah it original said Nick Lane from Buffalo Pinball would be there but you'll make a good replacement.

Yes I know it was done so skillfully that nobody noticed.

That was great fun! Love the format and awesome to meet y’all.
The only downers for me (apart from being rubbish) were only gettting one game of AC/DC out of 31...and not getting a game against world famous streamer Neil McCrae. Luck of the draw.
Seriously, can we do it again soon please?
Matt

Yup great event - and I’ve had enough of the shadow to last me a lifetime.

Thanks to Thomas and Wayne and the flipout crew for all the effort running this!

Very many thanks to Thomas and Wayne for hosting and running a fun day of pinball.
Well done to Nick for a great 2nd.
Thanks Keith, yeah really pleased with how it went and had one of those days where it all came together despite losing first 2 games and then 4 of first 7!! Hopefully see you and Jack again soon.

Congrats to Greg, a great run in the afternoon.

For those that like stats, below are some data from the cmop.

In hindsight:
AcDc and Farfalla probably should have been pulled at half-time as they were the outliers in terms of game length. (AFM was the third subbed in game, so would have got roughly the same amount of games as the others).
It could also be argued that it would have been just as acceptable to switch out all 7 games at half-time, especially with so many available to choose from, and no issue with making the 25 games for 100% TGP in less than 4 1/2 hours actual play.

It's also strange to see the players that people played against : Greg played only 2 games against the other 4 people who finished in the top 5 (1 each against Vin & Anders), a similar thing happened at David`s comp where I finished top qualifier and didn`t play against the 2nd or 4th place qualifiers.
However, @Neil McRae and I seemed to be playing each other for most of the day (6 times). There were lots of other examples of people playing each other in quick succession too. I think this may be due to the fact that the queue (3) was nearly half the number of machines in play (7), as it was at David's comp. It`ll be interesting to see how the figures work out at @Wizcat `s tournament with (I'm guessing) 9 machines and 3 in the queue making up the 21 players.

Also the games people played : Over half of my games were on Shadow (10) and AFM (8) out of 30. whereas Thomas`s games were much more evenly distributed.
Only 3 people didn`t get to play every one of the 7 games (counting the breakdowns as a single game) I didn`t play CftBL, Mike didn`t play Shadow & Thomas didn`t play AFM.

Suggestions for future runnings of a similar format would be:
That as soon as a person has reached 25 (or whatever the goal is) games played they simply don`t rejoin the queue, that way it`s (almost guaranteed) that everyone will play exactly the same amount of games.
Unsure as to whether a final is desirable or whether the results from the initial format is sufficient. (As it happens I`ve fallen the wrong side of the format in both versions played so far)

24 flip.PNG

bugger, just realised that the unique games figure for each player is 1 higher than it should be. Not redoing it

Cheers for the stats @Wayne J - as a fellow numbers geek I find them interesting :)

I think I disagree with your thoughts on trying to get everyone to play the same number of games though. That's an interesting aspect to the format, that you're trying to win games as fast as possible - both to keep the line moving and because the number of wins determines the ranking. Would really slow pace of the format down if everyone knew they could take their time

As an example of that, there was a game at DRD's on Paragon where I won an extra ball (I know right). I ended up plunging the ball, not just because I wasn't sure whether I should be allowed to play it, but also because by that point I had such a crushing lead I felt I could afford it, and that was the fastest way to get back in the queue. There's a risk/reward element in doing things like that, that I can't think of any other format replicating

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree with Paul. If we are trying to get everyone playing the same number of games then its more like a traditional format where everyone plays everyone a set number of times.

I also like the fact that its number of wins that count, not win %, so crap players like me get through loads more games than good players who are taking longer per game, but I've still got a (small) chance if I can get my total wins up, irrespective of my total losses.

Back
Top Bottom